520 Chain/Gearing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastBike

Reaction score
Afternoon,
I'm looking at changing the standard chain/gearing on my 2015 S1000RR Sport. It's only used on track and I just snatch 6th on the back straight at Almeria before I'm hard on the anchors. I'm looking at running 16 front, 43 rear. What does everyone else run ?

Gearing

For a track only bike you are best off buying a selection of front and rear sprocket sizes as gearing will vary between circuits.

Gearing

As a rule just remember the following when making any changes to gear ratios:

Gearing a bike up to produce higher top speed with less acceleration is done using a larger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket.

Gearing a bike down giving it more acceleration with lower top speed is done using a smaller front sprocket or a larger rear sprocket.

Generally speaking changing one tooth on the front sprocket has a significantly larger effect on the gearing than changing one tooth on the rear sprocket. To make only a small change in gearing it is therefore necessary to change the rear sprocket size by one tooth, as changing the front sprocket makes a far larger difference in gearing.

You may not always have to reduce the number of links when altering gear ratios but bear in mind a reduction in chain length may positively, or negatively, alter wheelbase. For the 2015/16 model retaining a longer wheelbase is preferential.

I currently use the following sprocket sizes, Front: 16T, 17T / Rear: 44T, 45T, 46T, and select a suitable combination from those depending on the nature of the circuit that I'm at.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try 16 at the front and 45 at the back with a spare 44 and 46.

The gearing of a bike in the track depends from the skills of the rider and the track. Most riders think that by shortening the gearing they will go faster. This is true up to a point. The more experience the rider the longer the gearing he likes. He needs to have more speed while entering the corner.

We can't exactly change all the ratios but there's little point in having the ability to do 200mph when you can't hit more than 160 in a given space with the stock gearing. But if you lower the gearing you may hit 170 in the same space. It might not be the epiphany laptime upgrade you are seeking but at least it's not extra wasted time.

Agreed, I just want to have good drive out of the majority of corners depending on the track I'm at (you'll never gear it perfectly for all the corners). I'll be able to tailor it if I have a selection of sprockets thus avoiding screaming it's n*ts off or worse chugging out of a corner.

I am on 16/44 it works for me at Almeria, I also have a spare 17 front and a 46 rear (520) but I have not needed to use them, same gearing worked for me at Mugello too, even with the long straight there.

Don't forget to factor in tyre circumference. A 200/55 is taller than a 190/55 so that would increase top speed.

True, I was running Pirelli Slick 200's but have made the move to Dunlop 195's. What an awesome tyre [emoji3][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i run 16/43 on track and is nr perfect for Aragon,starts to run out of steam at about 170 on the back straight which is bang on for my braking marker,42 rear would have been perfect.i find any taller on the rear makes it to flighty on the front,especially at oulton,which is my local track.jerez would prob suit 44-45 on the rear as the straights are a bit shorter and is nowhere nr as bumpy as oulton,havent done almeria on this bike,only on my 12 bm+fireblades.looking at my data i was getting around 165 at almeria on my 12,but not sure what my gearing was.16/45 rings a bell though.

Where was your braking marker on back straight at aragon?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gearing for track, for me is acceleration out of the corners. I have better achievements by having a ratio of 3, this is 15 front and 44 rear. For Almeria, you are predominantly in 3rd around the back section, your only hitting top on the back straight. but you'll pass more people getting up the gears, before your braking.
Best results try a variation for yourself, remember the quicker you get to six gear the better, as most tracks give you 1 or 2 chances to be at the top end.
Ive just ordered a new 15 and 46 sprocket for Almeria the end of Jan. Excited.

I use 16/46 at Almeria,speedo showing around 175mph and 13500rpm,so there is plenty in reserve.
Top end gearing is only a base-it is more important to use it to optimise the lower gears.I find 16/46 allows me to use 2nd on most of the infield.Any lower would mean more changes on the infield.
I had the same issue at Snetterton when I tried 15/44-it meant hitting the limiter on certain corners.I now use 16/46 everywhere(even on the road).
I tried a 17 front at Portimao but found it unnecessary.

As with all gearing,if in doubt check www.gearingcommander.com

Last edited:
16/44
If you need more grunt you are good, just reduce traction and wheelie for more drive.
I assume everyone is in slick mode??

I'm 16/46 at Donny/Snetterton and even Silverstone. I use 1st gear at each of them in slowest turns.

16/46 worked quite well at Almeria as well.

Why would people run 44 at short tracks at all ?

What do people use at Mugello ? I assume I should aim at 16/45 ?

16/43 or 44 mean you don't need 6th. Less gear changes, less fatigue. Its also better for driving straight rather than skywards especially places like Portimao.

Having said that I am going back to 16/46/120 from 16/43/118 when i get a new chain.

- Alex

Back