recall letter

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie

Reaction score
i know people are bored with the topic but thought some may be interested in this letter, bit snooty but needs must, ill let you know whats been said when i get a reply

Dear Sir/Madam

In March I was delighted to purchase a new S1000rr (YT12 OSB) from Rainbow, Rotherham, South Yorkshire. I thought I was secure in the knowledge that I was buying a BMW and had peace of mind given BMW’s reputation for excellence and professionalism. This bike was identified as being required for a re call. Whilst I appreciate BMWs integrity in identifying the problem and issuing the recall, the time scale in providing dealerships with the parts required is an absolute disgrace. Nearly six weeks ago I was informed my motorcycle would be recalled to the dealership in three weeks. Today, my local dealership informed me that they still do not have all the parts required, they do expect to have enough to do all the bikes when the complete kits arrive and have absolutely no idea when they will have enough.

I use my bike for commuting as well as for pleasure and have done over 2000 miles already, am I safe to do so? I have had to withdraw from two track days which is extremely infuriating and disappointing, especially given I have spent 14.5 K, a serious amount of money, on a motorcycle. I find the whole situation unbelievable and very disappointing.

I was also informed today that WHEN the work is finally to be done, it will involve removing the engine and dismantling it. Again, having spent over 14k on a product I thought to be expensive but worth every penny given it was a BMW, I find this whole situation totally unacceptable.

Are BMW intending to protect their customers who paid out so much money by extending the warranty on these bikes a further year and compensating and giving us peace of mind by offering the next few services for free.

If this is not the case could you explain to me the stages for reimbursing my money and returning the bike which is defective. Is there a procedure for this or do I need to seek legal advice?

Please could you return my E mail as soon as possible or alternatively I can be contacted with the answers to my questions on

hi jamie, i am certainly not bored with the recall thread as i am, like you, waiting for the kit to repair my 2012. when i first asked when the parts would be here to complete the work it was a fortnight, when asked again after the fortnight was up, it will be another 2-3 weeks yet. this has also passed and by the sound of it the parts will be here when they arrive and nobody seems to give a toss about the us the customer. at present i am not riding my bike as i have no confidence in it, & at present i have paid for a bike i dont want to ride, lost 2 months insurance,2 months tax, & the rest of what hair i have left. your letter is certainly worth a try but i have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears, they have got our money & dont want to know. keep me posted how you get on mate. :mad:

Have you guys paid fully?
If your on finance it might be worth having a talk to them as they legally own the bike until you have paid off a certain amount & i'm sure they wouldn't want their customers not paying! You could try the trading standards route, the sale of goods act etc... or just ask for a waiver from bmw & ride it normally if they promise that if anything were to happen then they'd give you a brand new bike ...or just ask for one as you were miss sold your one as it isn't fit for purpose!!! :'( :'(

hi vinny, if your sick of it and bored, why bother reading it, you dont have to, and as for bmw sorting it, your havin a laugh, confirmed rest of parts to make up kit has been sent from germany yesterday and will arrive at dealers a week today !!!! yes thats really sorting it & looking after the customers who have paid hard earned cash to buy the ultimate sportbike, surely under the circumstances they could have got them here quicker.(but i suppose that may have eaten in to there millions of pounds worth of profit) sorting jack shit i reckon ! sorry for the highjack jamie but people like this just get my goat. :mad:

patience is a virtue, your bike is getting fixed yes... just because its not as quick as you like your upset. so to say bmw are sorting jack shit is a flippant comment. if bmw wernt sorting it then you would have something to moan about.

Vinny are you seriously trying to suggest us that have stumped up 14k for a bike thats defective have not got reason to be pissed off. been waiting over 6 weeks now with no guareentee of when. 14 k may be nothing to you but its everything i had FFS, we not talking a loose filter here

If, like me, you buy your new vehicle (either full cost or the difference between your trade in and new purchase price) on a credit card you are protected under 'section 75' of the consumer credit act. This means that if BMW are not playing ball with you in a way you deem to be reasonable, you may have grounds to hold the credit card company liable and get them to do something about it.

It's the main reason I buy everything on a credit card even when I have the cash in my pocket to pay it off before the bill arrives.

Worth a thought.

DD

cheers dave and babarr, bought it out right minus part x unfortunatley. at the time i was dead chuffed with myself, very rare i can do that.

converted, when we finally get this sorted we will have to meet up in lincs to celebrate

VINNY RR link=topic=919.msg8649#msg8649 date=1339192061 said:
when its all sorted you will be able to laugh about it and enjoy the bike.... £14k for a bike....i never pay more than £9.5k for a bike.
yes but we can't all live in a tax haven can we!
(i only paid 10k for mine, i like to make the salesmen sweat for my money) ;) ;)

14k minus part x vinny which was a fare chunk, the full story goes; got a full time job and got some consultancy work that i did at weekend and evening, like a prick i thought id found the key to happy times, needless to say i havent had any more since. oh well dont regret my purchase at all, started dreaming before id started the work, or i wont regret it when it gets sorted. still wont to slap someone at bmw though for not responding and sorting it quicker lmao

Jamie, I am 100% with you. Likewise I have been waiting since end of April and the information from the dealership has been very poor. This has been a public relations disaster for BMW and what I want to know is how they are going to make it back to us. I am so fed up thinking of parking my bike up at the dealership and buying an RSV4 factory. Italian but at least I know its going to work!

penpals link=topic=919.msg8775#msg8775 date=1339415497 said:
Jamie, I am 100% with you. Likewise I have been waiting since end of April and the information from the dealership has been very poor. This has been a public relations disaster for BMW and what I want to know is how they are going to make it back to us. I am so fed up thinking of parking my bike up at the dealership and buying an RSV4 factory. Italian but at least I know its going to work!
i called them today and demanded an answer to my questions, they have promised to E mail me before close of play?!?! ill keep you informed mate

ha ha ha ha, no choice but to laugh. the e mail basically said, my dealership is closed on monday and they will try to contact them later in the week!! cheers for nothing. theyve got while the end of the week before im done. And before i get slagged off, is it the best bike ive rode YES, and i got my fingers crossed this is resolved by the end of the week. is it so much better than everything else that this hassel is worth it for MORE than another week. LIKE FUCK IT IS

Jamie, I feel for ya mate. When I got mine, I put a deposit down for one in the showroom (the recall was subsequently issued and unknown to me it was one of the affected bikes). However after placing a deposit, the dealership Balderston's BMW at Peterborough, had ordered a new one from the factory instead of waiting for the parts to fix the showroom bike. Apparently because the issue has been fixed at source, i.e.: the production line, it is quicker to order a new bike than it is to order parts for a recall. Top guys for thinking 'out the box'. This is why we pay a lot of money for BMW dealerships.

So by a fluke of timing and some smart thinking by the dealership, I have a new bike and no recall, and I know I'm very very lucky compared to some here.

cheers fordy, love the bike mate and wouldnt slag them because they are as good as everyone says, including me. BUT im not one to let the b@@tar@s take the piss out of me. I'll shut up about it now and only make one last post at the end of the week. Hopfully to say it's sorteed or at least ive been given a def date, and not to say the bikes going, having parked it up the crack of someone from BMW lmao ;D

Back