Oil sight glass leak

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powders

Reaction score
Bikes in for the 18k service and the oil sight glass is leaking, is this common ?
Did notice lately a bit of what looked like oil on the fairing when I was cleaning it but wasn't sure where it was coming from

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-01-15-18-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-10-01-15-18-35.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 118
You're not the first, but I don't think its enough to call it common.
So yes you're not alone but I don't think it's that widespread.

as alex has said it's not common your just unlucky powders , shouldn't be an expensive fix mate.

Yeah it shouldn't be too expensive just
never had it fail on any bike I've ever had before
Just really letting people here know about it if they see a little bit of oil around their fairing to check

Its quite common across the range, the sight glass is the same for most models from about '95 to now. We probably replace 1-2 a month on average. Did one today :) it's only a 5 min job to change so it shouldn't cost also.

On the s I've noticed chain oil tends to end up around the sight glass so it'd be easy to miss

Got bike back on Tuesday and it's going great after service
Was quoted ?510 from bmw for 18k service but I'm lucky enough to live 5 min's from two independent bmw dealers so it cost me ?300
I'm also lucky that I didn't need the valves checked as I got new valves and camshaft at the last service :glee:

Got bike back on Tuesday and it's going great after service
Was quoted €510 from bmw for 18k service but I'm lucky enough to live 5 min's from two independent bmw dealers so it cost me €300
I'm also lucky that I didn't need the valves checked as I got new valves and camshaft at the last service :glee:

powders can i ask which dealer did the work for you in the end.

Platinum motorcycles in Bray
It's just off the main street
There's also Maddocks just off the n11 in bray
They both only do bmw so know their onions

Platinum motorcycles in Bray
It's just off the main street
There's also Maddocks just off the n11 in bray
They both only do bmw so know their onions

Great stuff powders had a service done in kearys but didn't realise I had those options aswell.

No worries mate
Still a hell of a drive which ever one you choose but the two in bray will definitely be cheaper

Cork is hour and a half from me but some nice road's along the way, they said I have a slight vibration in my headers front exhaust valve on start up have you come across this problem ?

No I haven't
What are they recommending

Nothing at the moment but they said it will deteriorate over time so my options are new headers or aftermarket one's to suit my slip on.
Seems its a sealed unit so can't be opened or repaired ��

hey
Whats the best way to remove and install?
Have you considered chain fling? Give it a good clean with a degreaser and don't worry about it for a few hundred miles. Remove the front sprocket cover, clean all the gunk out, clean the chain and keep the chain a bit dry (though lubricated) and then have another look?

Latest posts

Back