New Fireblade

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I've seen this said elsewhere on here but went to motorshow at NEC today fully prepared to love the new blade but oh my god the bike just feels cheap in the flesh... I know light is the aim but plastics on tail and side were just so flimsy and shite. Nothing stood out for me as having garage appeal. New gixxer didn't do it for me either. I'm sure they'll be great bikes when the head to heads come out but so glad I have what we have!

Got to agree with the blade, I really wanted to like it but was disappointed and the SP is ruled out anyway as can't fit pillion seat and pegs.
I did however like the GSXR1000R and the ZX10. so will definitely be road testing both of those in the spring.

The R1 is too small as is the Aprilla

EICMA was so overly packed I couldn't access the bikes well enough - I'll have another go at the Excel event in the new year.

Think I've seen this said elsewhere on here but went to motorshow at NEC today fully prepared to love the new blade but oh my god the bike just feels cheap in the flesh... I know light is the aim but plastics on tail and side were just so flimsy and shite. Nothing stood out for me as having garage appeal. New gixxer didn't do it for me either. I'm sure they'll be great bikes when the head to heads come out but so glad I have what we have!

That's a shame, was hoping for something a bit special as it's been a long time........ Will be looking at excel

Last edited:
EICMA was so overly packed I couldn't access the bikes well enough - I'll have another go at the Excel event in the new year.

I went to the NEC yesterday arrived 09:15 and headed straight to the Suzuki and Honda stands, no probs sitting on the bikes, so got plenty of time to study them.
Glad I did not bother going to Milan then Alex

I don't think you can look at the SP-2 plastics and worry about them being flimsy, the SP-2 is a track homologation special...low volume.
If it's as light as they claim it's going to fly, and the rumours are the GSXR is quicker than an S1000RR...whatever the truth is, the differences will be the smallest they've ever been, in 2017.

I don't think you can look at the SP-2 plastics and worry about them being flimsy, the SP-2 is a track homologation special...low volume.
If it's as light as they claim it's going to fly, and the rumours are the GSXR is quicker than an S1000RR...whatever the truth is, the differences will be the smallest they've ever been, in 2017.

Yes I'm sure you're right Alex, my main concern with the S1000RR is the number of problems reported, they don't seem as reliable as a Honda, or the other Japs to be honest.

My final choice will probably come down to comfort and how it drives on the road.
At 6'4" I did find the pegs a little high on the S1000RR

I think you'd be splitting hairs between all the new superbikes next year, so probably will come down to looks
But there's no denying that bmw know how to charge for parts, I've always had suzuki's and the bmw parts are
2 - 3 times the price, wouldn't matter so much if your buying new with a warranty

Yes I'm sure you're right Alex, my main concern with the S1000RR is the number of problems reported, they don't seem as reliable as a Honda, or the other Japs to be honest.

My final choice will probably come down to comfort and how it drives on the road.
At 6'4" I did find the pegs a little high on the S1000RR

I keep reading about concerns with reliability, I've had no issues with either of my RR's and wouldn't factor it into the decision to buy or not to buy, the S1k is a more practical, comfortable option than the other litre bikes, for me this is the key point of difference for a road bike purchase.

I keep reading about concerns with reliability, I've had no issues with either of my RR's and wouldn't factor it into the decision to buy or not to buy, the S1k is a more practical, comfortable option than the other litre bikes, for me this is the key point of difference for a road bike purchase.

Once I've ridden the others i'll be able to compare, re the comfort, like i said in previous post I find the pegs a little high on the S1k.
and as i'll keep the bike past its warranty, reliability and running costs are factor, and if you read the threads on this and the other S1000RR forum there seem to be quite a few reliability concerns more so than with the Jap litre bikes

I'm speaking based on my ownership of both a gen 2 and gen 3, of course you'll read of issues both real and perceived on forums as its the basis of conversation, BMW have shifted an enormous number of S1k's so inevitably there will be more tales v's other poorer selling brands, people keep buying them for a reason! Yes the std pegs are a little high but similar to a 1299 and R1 and better than a ZX10, all of which I've ridden, and of course you have the option of fitting adjustable rearsets.

Way less cramped than the 'blade was. That and the R1 both feel like you need to be a jockey.

Can't comment on the GSXR/1299 etc.

Last edited:
I'm speaking based on my ownership of both a gen 2 and gen 3, of course you'll read of issues both real and perceived on forums as its the basis of conversation, BMW have shifted an enormous number of S1k's so inevitably there will be more tales v's other poorer selling brands, people keep buying them for a reason! Yes the std pegs are a little high but similar to a 1299 and R1 and better than a ZX10, all of which I've ridden, and of course you have the option of fitting adjustable rearsets.

Yes I know what you're saying Mac but I've had a number of Honda's and never had a problem with any of them, perhaps its just this forum because you don't see many problems discussed on the other bike forums, but then they are less active than this one.
I was also put off a little by my local dealer who was not helpful

Way less cramped than the 'blade was. That and the R1 both feel like you need to be a jockey.

Can't comment on the GSXR/1299 etc.

Must be body shape Alex, I never found the blade cramped, but the S1K was a bit due to the pegs
The R1 is cramped it feels to short, not keen on the Dukes so not tried the 1299

Yes I know what you're saying Mac but I've had a number of Honda's and never had a problem with any of them, perhaps its just this forum because you don't see many problems discussed on the other bike forums, but then they are less active than this one.
I was also put off a little by my local dealer who was not helpful

Unfortunately some dealers are poor, can't defend that, but you'll notice not too many forum members defecting to other brands even though many of us have owned all kinds of bikes in the past

Unfortunately some dealers are poor, can't defend that, but you'll notice not too many forum members defecting to other brands even though many of us have owned all kinds of bikes in the past

Good point Mac but we'll see what happens in the spring when a few have tried the new bikes, the S1K has certainly been ahead for a few years, but a few may have now caught up.
I'm not totally ruling out the S1k , but wont decide till I've tried the others.

Had the salesman at the local dealers not been a tit, I'd have already bought the S1K

Had the salesman at the local dealers not been a tit, I'd have already bought the S1K

Haha, every dealership seems to have at least one Gaffa, but if you find a good one keep a hold of them. Once you have been bitten by the S1000RR bug its hard to go anywhere else like Mac says.

Good luck in avoiding tits.

JimmyMac

I saw a clip of someone firing up the new blade at one of the bike shows and it was spitting out blue smoke??! ......surely this new one doesn't burn oil like a two stroke too??! I couldn't leave home on my '14 Blade without carrying a bottle of oil!! :fatigue:

Back