Is it the case that Garmin's 350LM won't power on and off via Canbus socket?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if answered elsewhere - I'm new here. Under the heading of DAISNAID (Do as I say, not as I do) I bought the Nippy Norman Canbus connector to power on and off my ageing Garmin 350LM. It was my first fiddle with the 2,500-miler S1000RR of 2013 vintage. It failed beautifully, resulting in a VDS! warning on the dashboard - perfectly rideable if irritating. So three questions from a wide-eyed S1000RR virgin:

1. Am I right to assume the 350LM won't switch on and off via the Canbus socket?
  2. If I am, how do I stop it draining the battery if wired direct to the battery?
  3. How do I affordably clear the VDS! warning? What would a dealer charge me?

In my Welcome-to-the-Forum intro I mentioned the possibility of London riders pitching in together to share cost of GS-911 diagnostic tool to clear such codes (a tenner each from 24 riders, say). Naive or possible? Just a thought.

:disillusionment: Adam

VDS! is the you've dropped it msg I think. If it's not going out with a restart then either the sensor got disturbed or there's a wiring fault. Now the bad news is some have had had loom/ecu damage and it's caused this. :-/

As I said in the other thread there's japandgerman near tower bridge that will clear codes.

How have you connected it to the bike at the moment using the Nippy Normans adaper. I have the 350 and from memory it was attached by my mechanic to a connector behind the fairing specifically for this. Mine works perfectly. Historically there is a problem with the 350 not powering down and leaving the canbus live. I discovered this on my previous RT when the battery kept going flat without knowing why. I'm not technical but it is something to do with the box half way along the power cable which switches the voltage. It is a fault only specific to the 350 model only. I will take a look later at the Zumo forums posts from a couple of years ago where I posted this problem and got the help needed.

Seems to be some confusion here. The canbus socket the OP is describing is behind the fairing on the RHS next to the horn ?????. Nothing to do with the DIN accessory socket newer bikes have (which are crap btw).

The garmin should work without issue using the connector in that socket and power on and off with the bike with a small delay when turning off.

If you have got a fault code it is either a coincidence or the possibility exists that the previous owner modified the wiring for another purpose which has caused the ecu to see a fault.

Either way it needs a 911 unit to know what it is.

Seems to be some confusion here. The canbus socket the OP is describing is behind the fairing on the RHS next to the horn ?????. Nothing to do with the DIN accessory socket newer bikes have (which are crap btw).

The garmin should work without issue using the connector in that socket and power on and off with the bike with a small delay when turning off.

If you have got a fault code it is either a coincidence or the possibility exists that the previous owner modified the wiring for another purpose which has caused the ecu to see a fault.

Either way it needs a 911 unit to know what it is.

I remember Ant having a similar issue which ended up being the wires on the plug he bought weren't going to the correct pins, I don't think the leads nippy Norman sells are configured for that plug on the rhs? Idk I maybe wrong as I haven't had the chance to test the sockets on the earlier models....

Richy, Yes, used the Nippy Norman plug-in. Older post here and this one from an R1200 forum do suggest that there's an issue running the 350LM off the Canbus socket - essentially that it drains the battery. Would very much prefer to run it off there as it's near the headstock and so reduces cabling. That said, the net result so far has been a VDS error - related, I suspect, given all I did was remove the side panels to access the Canbus socket more easily - and no power to the Garmin. Am in touch with Steve Davies at Jap and German Motorcycles to clear the code. I appreciate the guidance.

I have read the Zumo forums on the 350LM posted by me in 2014 and it is a problem only with this model and canbus systems. The power lead from the Zumo has a black plastic box which converts 12v to 5v which the 350 runs off. It is this conversion which has been causing so many issues with the BMW canbus and basically tricks the canbus system and keeps it live, thus draining your battery. I also bought the Nippy Normans cradle to connect to the BMW provided sat nav socket. This works perfectly except with the 350LM. The 350 works perfectly if hard wired to the battery. I spoke to Bahnstormer in Alton about this in 2014 and they were fully aware of the issue with the 350, so perhaps give them a call and they can help you. There is lots of boring information on this in the Zumoforums.com and scroll down to 350 LM. Hope this helps you resolve your issue.

That's delightfully clear cut and helpful. Battery hook-up is the way to go short of buying a wholly new SatNav. Like the resurgence of vinyl and Lindy Hop, paper maps hold a certain attraction these days...;)

Back