IAM Masters test

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Pass the standard test you need a safe ride showing you follow roadcraft.
To get a first the ride needs to be of a high standard with a good balance of safety and progress. Not more than 2 I think scores below a 1. This puts you at ROSPA silver/gold standard.
The masters needs you to do all the above on a 90 minute ride, make good progress at any opportunity, whilst being safe, courteous and remaining within the law at all times. This all takes place on roads you don't know with a Police class 1 rider up your chuff who at times will put themselves out of position to see if you adjust to where they are, or if you continue to ride your own ride. It is supposedly the closest a non police officer can get to a class 1 certificate :smug::cool:

Thanks for the info. Think I'll pass (excuse the pun) on the masters. 90 minutes is a long time to be that switched on, impressive, good work :).

The 129 got me around 12 hours of intensive on road coaching from a Class 1 police rider, as well as theory discussions as well. Cost per hour was definitely worth it.
Ah, got it. I thought the test on its own was ?129. Very good value then, who was your mentor and do you mind saying the name of your Examiner?

Cheers

Mentor was Clive Fry and examiner was Jon Taylor. Jon used to be an on track instructor for Rapid Training as well being a Nurburgring instructor and a Police trainer so knows a thing or two!

Mentor was Clive Fry and examiner was Jon Taylor. Jon used to be an on track instructor for Rapid Training as well being a Nurburgring instructor and a Police trainer so knows a thing or two!
Being in Southend I thought you might have had Clive, he is a good bloke (some think he is too critical but thats the point). I have ridden with John Taylor on track, as you say knows his stuff.

I am booked in for the same course at the end of July.

Good idea to bring your own bike as well, I spoke to Tom about bringing my bike and he said don't, but you have changed my mind.

Like you, I have had several training days already, but I think this will fill in some gaps.

Cheers :friendly_wink:

I'm doing the Masters. The hard bit is that you are expected to make progress at every opportunity. You may think you do that in any case but compared to the instructors idea and mine I need to quicken up. If there's even a hint of an overtake and if you think about it first for a split second the instructor tells me the moment has passed. This does not mean that I'm hesitant in any way, it's just the difference between a highly competent police rider and me. I suppose the nice thing is that the benchmark for a pass is very high so it is something to strive for and if you pass you've earned it. Therefore a pass is a great achievement and a first is the dogs b*ll*cks.

To Pass the standard test you need a safe ride showing you follow roadcraft.
To get a first the ride needs to be of a high standard with a good balance of safety and progress. Not more than 2 I think scores below a 1. This puts you at ROSPA silver/gold standard.
The masters needs you to do all the above on a 90 minute ride, make good progress at any opportunity, whilst being safe, courteous and remaining within the law at all times. This all takes place on roads you don't know with a Police class 1 rider up your chuff who at times will put themselves out of position to see if you adjust to where they are, or if you continue to ride your own ride. It is supposedly the closest a non police officer can get to a class 1 certificate :smug::cool:

Hi Gixer
"...who at times will put themselves out of position to see if you adjust to where they are, or if you continue to ride your own ride"...

I assume you are meant to continue to ride your own ride. I'm not sure I get why you called this out - surely if you are doing Master's you would not consider 'not' riding your own ride.
Am I missing something?

Well done by the way!

To add my pennies worth.

An observer and examiner might ride out of the optimum road position ( for best view and balancing hazards) in order to get a better view of the associate or trainee. Generally they are not trying to catch an associate out as they want to see a normal ride from the trainee.

In terms of making progress neither Rospa or IAM .(standard or masters) expect you to make OTs , filter or manoeuvre for progress where it is not safe or breaks the Highway Code.

If you?ve planned your ride well your in the right position, correct gear and have a place to finish the manoeuvre smoothly without effecting those around you and the need to speed or adjust your speed.

That?s what all examiners are looking for, ROSPA and IAM. It?s about implementing the system every second of a ride. The key is planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Well Done GixxerChuck! I did my IAM basic membership about 8 years ago and have an appreciation of just how skilled in your riding and road craft and knowledgeable on the highway code you would have to be to get to your level of attainment. Top Marks fella!

Back