Brand New BMW S1000rr - fitted with Akrapovic HP can from BMW dealer

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innes311

Reaction score
Hi there,

Looking to purchase the Akrapovic header for my 2016 S1000RR i have the Akrapovic HP can fitted from BMW do i need to purchase anything else before i ask my garage to fit this ? or is it just the Header i need and gaskets etc etc ?

Brand New to this forum so any help will be much appreciated

Kind Regards
Chris

Akrapovič

You will need to purchase the Akrapovič headers separately along with new exhaust gaskets from BMW. Then you will need to consider which fuel management system (PCV etc) you are going to buy; or you can opt for the BMW HP Racing Data Release and Mapping which will invalidate your warranty. If you are mechanically inclined fitting the Akrapovič headers is a relatively simple task albeit a little time consuming.

thanks for the reply

ok i can get stainless headers and gaskets no problem, so i don't need any link pipe or new oxy sensors or blanks or anything like that ?

and do i really need the map / software ?

Regards
chris

Akrapovič

If you are purchasing the Akrapovič headers from someone like Calsport everything you need to fit them is supplied in the box. The O2 sensors are retained and the servo motors are left fitted to the bike. If they are removed the ECU will generate error codes. The HP Racing Data Release and Mapping allows for removal of these parts but your warranty will be invalidated and installation can only be performed by BMW. The other option is to use a PCV or such like to map the bike correctly on a Dyno. You are strongly advised to install some form of fuel management system as you are altering the A-F Ratio fairly significantly. If not there is very little point in fitting a full system. For an idea of the installation process have a look at the weblink below.

https://d2wb124y84b8aj.cloudfront.net/akrapovicbppmultimedia/2624e592919e457ba4addacd1b7e0d37.pdf

Akrapovič

A point worth noting is that you are unlikely to see any significant increase in terms of power output. The OEM exhaust system on the 2015/16 S1000RR is extremely good and there is a general misconception that by simply fitting a full system it unlocks tens of bhp which is simply not true.

Re: Akrapovič

I had been reading that but you can read a lot of opinions.... i was purely wanting it done for the sound i knew i wouldn't get that much gains ... any other suggestions > 2016 S1000RR with BMW HP akro can

Chris

Exhausts

Akrapovič exhausts, slip-on or full system, are traditionally quite quite and always have been. To be perfectly honest you would be better off purchasing a short Arrow or AR slip-on if sound, and not performance, is your motivation.

Akrapovič

For perspective I have an Akrapovič full race system fitted to my 2015 S1000RR as part of a HP Race Power Kit. When put on the Dyno there was only a modest 4 bhp peak increase when compared to the OEM exhaust system. Sound wise, if anything, it is also quieter especially with the baffle fitted.

There are benefits to a PCV/Bazzaz etc...but they are not required to enjoy the bike.

I've got a full titanium Akra system and I had fitted the Rapid Bike Evo as an alternative to a PCV. The fuelling has been spot on across the full Rev range, especially low down when going through towns and 30 limits.

Re: Akrapovič

If you are purchasing the Akrapovič headers from someone like Calsport everything you need to fit them is supplied in the box. The O2 sensors are retained and the servo motors are left fitted to the bike. If they are removed the ECU will generate error codes. The HP Racing Data Release and Mapping allows for removal of these parts but your warranty will be invalidated and installation can only be performed by BMW. The other option is to use a PCV or such like to map the bike correctly on a Dyno. You are strongly advised to install some form of fuel management system as you are altering the A-F Ratio fairly significantly. If not there is very little point in fitting a full system. For an idea of the installation process have a look at the weblink below.

https://d2wb124y84b8aj.cloudfront.net/akrapovicbppmultimedia/2624e592919e457ba4addacd1b7e0d37.pdf

Excellent post, thank you for all the info.

Akrapovič

No problem. I?m glad the information has proved useful.

I just decated my 17 leaving the original headers on and it produced 188 at the wheel. According to fast bikes dyno test YouTube video they are only 179 in standard form. So fitting headers should make a difference.

Dynos

To be honest all Dynos read differently. Unless you are using exactly the same Dyno as Fast Bikes Magazine, and doing before and after runs in order to determine any gains, the results they published will be largely irrelevant.

Back