Tank Range

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r15suk

Reaction score
I have never bother checking the range on a full tank of fuel before, but am off to France/Belgium/Germany next week and with the strikes on i'd like to know what a 'typical' range might be. I know it depends on a number of factors, but an indication would be useful. We are planning to travel between 130 - 150 miles in France before we cross into Belgium. Obviously if this is pushing things and the strike is still on, having a backup plan would be a good option.

cheers
Simon

It'll be like driving Miss Daisy to get that range. Are you going over on the tunnel? Not 130 miles from there to Belgium - I get about 110 miles from a full tank on the mway

Last edited:
I'd have thought 130 would be easily achieved at speeds averaging a ton plus.

Thats about 118 miles, I've never got anything like 130 miles out of mine

It'll be like driving Miss Daisy to get that range. Are you going over on the tunnel? Not 130 miles from there to Belgium - I get about 110 miles from a full tank on the mway

We are going on the ferry but we want to take our normal scenic route if we can.

Maybe I'm not very aerodynamic! Might be ok next week, I think you'll just need to take it easy and suss out the petrol situation when you get over there

Last edited:
Using standard supermarket petrol my light comes on around 120 miles but when using super unleaded it won't come on until 140+ the indicated reserve is also better, 29 ish for standard and 40 ish for super.

Fill your bike to the neck with super just before getting on the ferry and you should be good to go.

Have a great trip.

JimmyMac

Light comes on between 100 to 120. And resrve is good ror another 30. My last tank did 150 but took about ?18 to fill up! Might be worth checking where the border is! I rember the last one and having to cross in to germsny with petrol can to rescue some of the lads. A 500 mile day turned into 800. Nice and comfy on an r1!

Thats about 118 miles, I've never got anything like 130 miles out of mine
When I changed to the AR can without the baffle the fuel consumption plummeted, I had to fill up on a return journey where I'd normally be ok with one tank. It's better since I put the baffle back in!
You have the same can.

Hmm that's interesting, clearly others fuel consumption is a bit better than mine, think I'll experiment a bit to see if its me or the bike

As per JimmyMac, I get better mileage out of Superunleaded which I always use unless I'm in a remote part of the West Coast where it's just regular 95 that's available

I thought the higher octane was a waste of money unless your engine has been specifically tuned for it, and even then the benefits were marginal. .?...?.?..?

I usually get 134 miles out of a tank before the reserve light shows up.

The Petrol situation in France is not so bad now as reported this morning on BBC news.

If you are worried take a metre long piece of small plastic tubing with you to siphon fuel from another bike or car (or for bedroom fun).

Have a great trip.

Some serious economy in here…I've not managed to get more than 80 miles before the light on mine.

Back