Panigale 959 disappointment

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
As the title says I took a 959 out today for a 3 hour blast and I've got to say how disappointed I was. I knew there would be a difference in performance compared to the Beemer but not that much, it felt very flat through the gears and at one point I struggled to keep with a guy on a BM xr. I also found the engine braking too aggressive around town even after playing about with the settings. It did have a few good points though, the quick shifter was silky smooth and when I got it out in the peaks it really does handle well and you can chuck it about with confidence. To say that was my first ever ride on a v twin it was a huge letdown, bit like going out with a bird on a first date with huge t-ts and finding out she stuffs socks down her bra. Anyway I'm going to try the 1299 before I go to the TT so I can spend the week taking the piss out of my mate who spent 5k more than me for an inferior bike IMO.

Beautiful looking bike apart from the exhaust cans, should have kept them under the belly pan or under the rear fairing[/QUOTE]

Agreed Budgie they look stupid there.. surprised at lack of performance for not far off a litre bike .

Last edited:
Me too Stuart, there's a stretch of road from Baslow up to Owler Bar roundabout which is uphill, twisty and long straights and I really did struggle to close down the XR, I know there similar horse power but it's a Ducati sports bike v a sports tourer at the end of the day.

Me too Stuart, there's a stretch of road from Baslow up to Owler Bar roundabout which is uphill, twisty and long straights and I really did struggle to close down the XR, I know there similar horse power but it's a Ducati sports bike v a sports tourer at the end of the day.

There was a big Ducati thing on up our way yesterday... only bike I would have beeen interested in would be the Diavel...there was one there but I couldnt be arsed hanging about waiting for a shot... theres no substitute for the howl of off a 4 into 1 screamer, can you imagine for a minute losing that sound and replacing it with that stupid whirr and clunk shit....f uck that..

View attachment 1474Beautiful looking bike apart from the exhaust cans, should have kept them under the belly pan or under the rear fairing
That exhaust is like something out of a horror movie, They probably changed it to open the market up for people who didnt want to buy a ducati coz it cooks you from the inside out sat on the underseat exhaust but id rather that than have that ugly can on. Its on par with the ugly can thats on the H2's.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! does it still have the underseat section?? oh well thats my theory out the window. Makes it worse than i first thought.

It's got that exhaust to meet euro4 regs, 1299 not lacking in poke..., that stretch up to Owler bar very fast and true you don't know how talented or committed other riders are which can easily offset what bikes are being ridden

mee oww is that me black balled its a genuine coment , I know a lad on a 8year old gs bmw I would bet theres not 2% of riders on here would keep up, just cause ou got a sports bike doesn't make you the faster rider, if yo ever ride your bike on bumpy , rutted roads you will know a softer sprung bike will be better, mind they may take more polishing, which may be someones preference on purchase ,

i ok mate......lol did you get the reaction you've been seeking?

Chill out lads... ive ended up at Oban... Mallaig run wi Jimmy n Beavis didnt happen ! Looks like the weathers good everywhere but our area... whats that all about

Chill out lads... ive ended up at Oban... Mallaig run wi Jimmy n Beavis didnt happen ! Looks like the weathers good everywhere but our area... whats that all about

bummer stu, weather is supposed to pick up hopefully lol

bummer stu, weather is supposed to pick up hopefully lol

Was actually good in end up Davy.. just back in from Oban Lochgilphead Inverary with three of my mates .. loads of bikes out...
Theres a 959 with a couple of Akros fitted still takes the prettiness away from it... Diavel X looks a weapon !

ForumRunner_20160508_154358.jpg

ForumRunner_20160508_154406.jpg

ForumRunner_20160508_154524.jpg

Last edited:
As the title says I took a 959 out today for a 3 hour blast and I've got to say how disappointed I was. I knew there would be a difference in performance compared to the Beemer but not that much, it felt very flat through the gears and at one point I struggled to keep with a guy on a BM xr. I also found the engine braking too aggressive around town even after playing about with the settings. It did have a few good points though, the quick shifter was silky smooth and when I got it out in the peaks it really does handle well and you can chuck it about with confidence. To say that was my first ever ride on a v twin it was a huge letdown, bit like going out with a bird on a first date with huge t-ts and finding out she stuffs socks down her bra. Anyway I'm going to try the 1299 before I go to the TT so I can spend the week taking the piss out of my mate who spent 5k more than me for an inferior bike IMO.

I took the 1299s out on Friday, my thoughts were that its full of vibration, vary hard seat, kills the wrists. The quick shifter also found a couple of false neutrals when heavy on the gas. I had it 2 hours and the pain in my arse balls and wrists was unbearable by the end.
On the plus side it turns in superbly, hold a line in the corner at speed, so much that you don't realise how fast. The engine pulls well but i felt that i hit the rev limiter when it felt like it was just getting its legs.
Ive been offered a second test ride as the sales man states that it takes some getting used to if your coming from an inline 4.

Next quest is a test ride on the new R1 to see what the hype is about.

Hmm, seat harder on the R1 than the Pani although I found both ok, interested to hear what you think of the R1

I took the 1299s out on Friday, my thoughts were that its full of vibration, vary hard seat, kills the wrists. The quick shifter also found a couple of false neutrals when heavy on the gas. I had it 2 hours and the pain in my arse balls and wrists was unbearable by the end.
On the plus side it turns in superbly, hold a line in the corner at speed, so much that you don't realise how fast. The engine pulls well but i felt that i hit the rev limiter when it felt like it was just getting its legs.
Ive been offered a second test ride as the sales man states that it takes some getting used to if your coming from an inline 4.

Next quest is a test ride on the new R1 to see what the hype is about.
I'm on the 1299s on Saturday morning Dave if your not busy mate, was the salesman Tony at smc (top bloke)

Back