Cracked instrument screen

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev_b hp4

Reaction score
Got my bike out for the annual run up north Friday morning and found it like this :-

now it was fine when I put her away a fortnight ago , there is no sign of a hole in it just cracked to shit but still smooth as you like , I'm thinking the cold has caused this maybe frozen with some water on it ???

can I throw this back to bmw as a warranty issue or do you think they will say stone chip and end it there ??

im proper gutted cause I'm guessing it's gonna be 500 plus to get fixed .

its going in for service first sat in June so will see what they say .

Thats very wierd, BvG had to replace the clock glass on the crashed HP4 he got, might be worth checking with Bahnstormer to see if they can advise how its done if its not covered under warranty?

Re: Instrument Cluster

Interestingly I redid that search and it doesn't come up with it for the hp4 , I'll see what dealer says and then pursue it .

Thanks

Hi Kev, Thats a bummer, I had to fix the clocks on the written off HP4 I did last winter, the three locating lugs had been snapped off on the back. I never knew about the repair kit, thanks Rys. They are very straight forward to remove strip and rebuild.

JimmyMac

sorry to see that mate ,I have seen this before, was it parked i direct sunlight on a warm day?

JimmyMac. That repair kit will ease the blow , have already had clocks out and yes easy indeed .that circlip was a real pain on the road side with just the bikes toolkit when I broke down at the weekend
dl84. It was in my garage with a cover on it , that's what's annoying me , had it been a stone chip off my helmet onto clocks id take it on the chin , but to happen locked up takes the pee , build quality isn't the beemers strong point .

that's not good Kev, had seen the same thing on my bike not as bad as yours, cracks appearing but smooth to touch turns out my bike had been sitting at my work with the sun reflecting off the window and into the clocks , the only reason I figured out what caused it was when I parked my brothers rsv4 in the same spot on a sunny day it did the same to his clocks..... oops

Last edited:

Do they do the body of the cluster? Like Jimmy, couple of lugs broken off the back....

Hi Bananaman, I modified the back panel of the clocks so that they bolt on rather than just sit in the locators, a little time consuming but I thought it was a better solution than the original build. I used Lilliput black plastic to mould them from the inside. Was quite chuffed with the result.

Hi Bananaman, I modified the back panel of the clocks so that they bolt on rather than just sit in the locators, a little time consuming but I thought it was a better solution than the original build. I used Lilliput black plastic to mould them from the inside. Was quite chuffed with the result.
Thanks, good idea. Used short screw mounted on rubber washers as temp fix...

Right bike serviced today and mentioned the screen to jack at wollaston , they had a look and IS being replaced under warranty . I'm a happy chappy .

Last edited:
Right bike serviced today and mentioned the screen to jack at wollaston , they had a look and IS being replaced under warranty . I'm a happy chappy .

Hi Kev, sorry to resurrect your thread. Was yours fixed under the original warranty or the extended insurance warranty?

I had same thing on mine - spontaneous cracking & dealer said it was not covered (extended warranty). I just paid about 200 quid for them to replace it.

Back