Recall debacle

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chrono

Anyone else caught up in the recall debacle? Had mine in for 1st service today and told the rod bolts needs replacing ... but the parts won't be available for 3 weeks. Meanwhile I'm booked to go to Motorland Aragon on Friday for 3 days on the track. BMW aren't saying I can't ride it but they "wouldn't advise" riding it on the track. Anyone got good/bad experiences of '12 models on the track to reassure me?

ive got a red and white 2012.f$$king loved it when i got it.last week i found out it was to be recalled.i decided i hated it and wanted rid of it even if i would be thousands out of pocket.
all weekend i worked myself up into a frenzy,i'd decided i'd get get rid of it at whatever the cost.
bloody bmw,i spent thousands on this bike and now my friends/colleagues were taling the p$$s!
i had to get rid of it. :mad:

then,inbetween rain showers i decided to take one more ride.the beemer was going but i needed to make 100% sure.

in my anger at a bmw robot i'd forgoten how awesome my bike is,i soon realised that i love it,i can't get rid of it,one quality control issue will not see me get rid of my beemer.
ive owned some good bikes but this is far better than any other.
i'm not getting rid of it,its just to good.
the rod bolts will be replaced and summer will start,ill soon forget its been cracked open.
bring on the summer,this is still the finest litre bike out there and i'm keeping mine 8) :D

Hi i am just about to purchase the rr however i will wait until the new ones with correct torque settings come in. For you guys that have the 2012 bikes with the recall on con rod bolts, i have worked on bikes for many years building engines being part of it. I suggest that you ask BMW to extend the guarantee on your engines they may replace the bolts and everything will be ok however if the bolts are loose but not yet broken it is possible to due to slack in the bolts that the con rod may go oval and also ask that the bearings are replaced as these could be out of shape from the loose bolts. They are a great company that produce superb goods im sure all will be ok.

Alf

totally agree with what ian said and that seems like sound advice Alf. i am a little pissed off at my dealers though. I still dont know if my bike needs to be recalled. Ive been polite, now a bit annoyed. they've got til the end of the weekend before i explode.

I can't believe the amount of fuss about this recall, ok it is a fairly significant balls up by BMW but at least they are sorting the problem which is the main thing. A lot of people saying they will get rid of it, kinda seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face, its an awesome bike, the best in my opinion (and I have no brand loyalty like a lot of people) Jap/Euro i couldn't care less I want the best.

When I had a ZZR 14 there was a recall on the subframe bolts had been done up too tight leading to the rear collapsing on the wheel. Just as nasty but was soon sorted and forgotten. Small comfort I know.

I know recalls are a pain but they are being viewed in wrong light IMO. I look at them that the manufacturer is acknowledging a potential problem rather than ignore it and hope it doesn't grow. Good customer service IMO. By taking action it should hopefully keep customer complaints down and avoid possibility of major products liability claim. My current car is on its 3rd recall in 6 months. I have not had a problem and would be none wiser. I am more than happy to let dealer sort these things out before problem arrises.

good comments from greem machine, unionjack and reddevil and i get your meaning but it's my dealer im getting annoyed with. they have told me that they have the list but getting an answer from them about if my bike is on it is proving difficult. Maybe under normal circumstance i would shrug my shoulders and take it as a good sign, but when it's your pride and joy........ but just to add, there is no way im getting shut ;D

I see. Perhaps a nicely worded email directly to BMW uk might be in order to help clarify the situation.

jamie i wouldn't worry about it because bmw don't seem too worried about it i will be ringing my dealer up tomorrow to book mine in for the first service i will see if i can get anything out of them
on a lighter note went down the snake pass tonight a bit of standing water up there but my word these bikes are bloody good fun...

well my bikes on the list they aren't taking the restrictors of tomorrow gutted but what can you do
what has annoyed me is that two weeks ago my bike wasn't on the list and now all of a sudden it is i wish they would make up there bloody minds

mine as the plague too lmao, gutted to be back to low revs and i am going to take some serious ribbing over this but at least i know the score.

jamie we both know that these are stunning bikes and that bmw will sort it out for me its just the way they are going about it this time in six weeks it will be all forgotten hopefully

Back