Ducati 1299s Demo thoughts

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steadynow

Reaction score
Sooooo

Just wanted to share a good hour blat around on a new 1299s i had yesterday

I was curious to see what it was like, as it was my first ride on a Ducati. I'm so in tune with my S1k riding everyday, I wasn't expecting to gel with it, but it wasn't the polar opposite i expected. i liked the riding position and felt slightly more roomy in the bars, seat similar, touch harder. Cool dash!. Throttle and engine felt a little slack and disconnected and the gear shift was sloppy. very long throw on shifts (up & down).. like it needs a quick shifter.

Out on the roads it picks up ok, slightly more mid range than mine, but top didn't rush, certainly no faster overall, felt quite flat and not as rapid as 205 bhp should, maybe... low speed in 5th 6th had nothing, where the S1 would pull, it felt more planted and steadier on the bumpy corners prob due to all the ohlins and tech and i liked that, but need more effort to turn it, more body lean too, Sound track was ace but i'd need to invest in some proper ear plugs as it makes a right racket. The slow crank action when starting it was also weird and slightly nerve racking.. is it? isn't it? oh.. its started. phew.

The most memorable thing, was riding mine home afterwards.... and the instant reminder how tight, sharp, quick shifting, smooth and flighty / fun mine is. I might be a little biased, but no way i would change for the 1299... it felt like a step backwards honestly. If i could afford one for posing on at the weekends, then great and it does look good. But to ride, the S1k is just nicer, even my slightly battered 23k '14 plate.

The only bike I'm hankering after a ride on now is a H2R and a RCV213s! :witless:

I was going to take one of these out to see what it was like, just haven't got round to it yet, I'm surprised about your comments on the gearshift, it has a quickshifter and autoblipper as standard doesn't it?

yeah, it does, the quick shifter worked fine, but just a lot more movement of your foot / ankle required to get the shift selected each thump, felt just a bit soft and marshmallowy.

give it a go

I love the 1299s. I had a shot of one last year at the Ducati open day up at The Green Welly. It was equipped with the full Akra system and when you rolled off the throttle after an overtake it would BANG on the over run like a shotgun going off. First time it did it I burst out laughing and had a massive grin on my face for the rest of the ride. If I won the lottery I'd buy one tomorrow.

I had been planning on getting a 1299 base, but the deal fell through so I ended up getting the S1000RR. Looking on the Ducati forum at all the guys who got their 1299 at the time I got the BMW and all the trouble they are having, it was maybe for the best.

I love the 1299s. I had a shot of one last year at the Ducati open day up at The Green Welly. It was equipped with the full Akra system and when you rolled off the throttle after an overtake it would BANG on the over run like a shotgun going off. First time it did it I burst out laughing and had a massive grin on my face for the rest of the ride. If I won the lottery I'd buy one tomorrow.

I had been planning on getting a 1299 base, but the deal fell through so I ended up getting the S1000RR. Looking on the Ducati forum at all the guys who got their 1299 at the time I got the BMW and all the trouble they are having, it was maybe for the best.

Put an Austin Racing can on your '15RR and you'll get the pleasant sound of small arms fire when you change down too! And yes what issues are 1299 owners suffering?

Three of my mates are owners and to be honest the bikes do look amazing however ALL of them complain of aches and pains if too long in the saddle; luckily they have to stop so often to fuel up again they are ok with it....:highly_amused:

yeah, it does, the quick shifter worked fine, but just a lot more movement of your foot / ankle required to get the shift selected each thump, felt just a bit soft and marshmallowy.

give it a go

Taking a 1299s out tomorrow, I'll report back!

peoblem with test rides are most bikes are limited 1299 to 6k revs bm similar hard to get a real honest opinion . I rode 1299 as a demo hated it and ciukd not believe a bike can be so bad so I borrowed one that had full power same findings crap . Seriously when u read all the magazine articles I believe the test bike must be somthing else I disguise . Although I loved my 1199 I rode over 17000 m on it and enjoyed everybody one well almost everyone until the final one were wrote it off.

Only Ducati I've ridden is a Multistrada 1200s, although I've owned an RSV and and an RC8, guess I'll find out what gives tomorrow, ZX10 I took out had done less than 100 miles and no rev limit..

Back