1 year and 20,000 miles later .......

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
epic mate , you should do that post. all year all weather rider?

Great to see some good miles going on. Mine has 22k (64 plate) collected Halloween 2014. I do 120 ish miles a day, most days, commuting. Trying to keep up with the servicing and tyre bills :sorrow:

Something absurd and life affirming spanking a 1000cc in the rain and dark, cutting through miles of queues, for months on end. Maybe I'm odd. I think I go slower in the sunny weather...just cruise.

Aiming for 100k before the stock exhaust falls off and then I'll go full Akra or elsewhere for a change (Panigale / ZX14 etc). Happy with BMW service (Chandlers) and reliability to date. Happy camper.
nothing looks better in the metal than a dirty hot steaming ticking S1k after a long thrash

I have put some links in the posts below as some of this is documented on the forum anyway. This is just pulling it all together with info from my business accounts.
7[SUP]th[/SUP] March Following test ride decide to bite the bullet. 2015 S1000RR Sport with Metzeler Racetec K3s on it. Tyres were a condition of buying. Colour, black of course! Test ride conditions were cold so no real opportunity to do much but QS up and down is mega.
1[SUP]st[/SUP] April Pick the bike up from Cannon in Braintree, do 100 miles on an extended journey home as its getting dark and wet then have to put it in the garage for a week to go on holiday, piss poor planning really.
First mod, had to get rid of the huge airbrake so fitted a tasty looking and quality made Evotech tail tidy. Phoned them up and got a deal on a set of levers as well so fitted them myself. This resulted in the loss of the QS and cruise control. Was due back at the dealer for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] service 10 days after buying it so got the microswitch changed under warranty at the same time.
By May fed up with vibration through handlebars as was getting seriously numb fingers and so started looking around for a solution. Research indicated weight was the way forward and after several iterations of development Positive vibes was born. These are now available with a 10% discount for Premier members. Just prior to the release of these I was sideswiped whilst filtering. Did not do much damage but took ages to get resolved. Driver decided not to stop but my video and the video of another rider who was behind meant no fault result. About 15-20% of my riding is spent filtering and the bike is actually pretty good at it. Every day brings a smile going to work on it despite this.
Only thing to do following the accident was to see what the bike was like at Brands. Answer, a lot better than I am! I would seriously love the spare cash to have one of these just for track. Before going to Brands I tried to set the preload as per the manuals guide to find it was ridiculous even trying. Visit to MCT put on the to do list.
This finished the K3s so after 5700 miles had Metzeler M7RRs fitted as a ride in ride out service with FWR in Kennington. These turned out to be good in the wet, but I found them to have a bit of a vagueness at the front.
I researched the baffle removal and then removed it from the standard can. What a difference to the audio experience especially with up and downshifts, and rolling completely off the throttle. Found myself changing up and down just to listen to the soundtrack, especially tasty sounding in tunnels.
July brought the 6500 mile service into play, which came and went without incident. Had a K&N filter fitted at the same time as this becomes so much cheaper with the mileage I do. BMW recommend a new OEM one every service!
Riding a lot in London decided that the standard horn was no good so fitted a new one and then with the light fading realised the lights were not good enough for me especially riding a lot in the dark so fitted an HID kit from HIDS4U.
October brought the 12500 mile service and the accident repair was sorted at the same time. This meant a week spent on an F700GS. Despite a huge lack of power, sounding like a wet fart, and being ugly as sin, had a laugh on it, but bloody hell was I glad to get the S1000RR back. Riding anything without clutchless up and downshifts took some adjusting to.
Having had the exhaust replaced I then had to remove the baffle again, but this time done with the experience gained from the first one so came out a treat without marking the can at all. Anyone wanting theirs done can pop round to mine and will sort it in about 20 minutes!
I had Ventureshield fitted as well at this point to try to protect the paintwork a bit and make cleaning it a bit easier.
Having had a few enquiries about powder coating I sorted out some black bar ends. To be honest it was more hassle than it was worth as I lost money on getting it done, but saying that they did look mint! 3 lucky customers out there.
In December I eventually got around to taking both bikes to MCT suspension. One of the downsides to being self employed is getting anything like this done needs a day off work, so no pay. Amazing job again by Darren. If you only get one mod done, then this is it, around ?200 plus VAT and the bike becomes even more compliant. Shame the weather was turning with not much opportunity to take advantage. He also tuned down the steering damper which I had not even thought about. If you’ve not adjusted yours do it now. They seem to be set very stiff as standard. On the way to MCT my gixxer moved in the back of the van and ended up rubbing against the fairing on the S1000RR but luckily the Ventureshield seemed to stop any marking although it lifted this off a bit, but saying that it did the job it was supposed to. Without it the fairing would have been scratched.
The M7RRs were now completely knackered now, not surprising after 9,000 miles. Tyres and me seem to get on, but a lot of it I put down to commuting and being ultra smooth on the throttle. Saying that the Pilot Road 4’s that I replaced them with are getting a fair bit more aggression, which may be to do with the suspension set up, and me feeling completely at home on the bike.
For this change I ordered from Tyreleader and had them fitted to loose wheels locally. The captive spacer on the front wheel is really helpful, and the rear is reasonable easy to do as well. Hot tip is to have all the torque settings on the garage wall so you can just get on with doing it.
Bike was now on 15k and had set a target of 20k in a year so 3 months to do 5k was spot on, as long as the weather held. Seeing 0c in the morning was an eye opener considering there is as good as 2000bhp on tap, but the electronics on the bike are amazing. Have had the DTC on full bars in the wet with no real dramas from the bike, it just tapers things off until it regains grip and fires you off again.
March brought the 18500 mile service and had arranged a 1200GS for the day whilst mine was being serviced as is a big one. So much better than the F700 and was fairly easy to hussle due to the wide bars and comparative lack of power to the S1000RR. Ride was made more interesting by the snow showers.
I bought a chain and sprocket kit from Grahams motorcycles and had a bit of fun fitting it. By fun I mean finding out that a 150nm sprocket nut is a right biatch to crack off. This coupled with chocolate screws on the end of the QS made it more difficult than needed. Over the course of the year I’ve probably used 5 cans of Wurth dry lube keeping the chain in good condition.
Actually hit 20k on 5[SUP]th[/SUP] April, 1 year and 4 days after picking it up so a bit gutted I missed it by 4 days but hey ho!!
On the list for this year is to decide if I will get the HP rearsets fitted, which will depend on getting a deal somewhere, and also getting Lightech chain adjusters.
Hopefully do a Run what ya brung day at North Weald as well. Should be a good chance to check out the launch control properly.
Now for the scary bit, what it has cost so far
?2600 on fuel (about 2200 litres)
?1023 on servicing
?470 on tyres
?160 on chain and sprockets
?234 on suspension set up
?240 on ventureshield and fitting
?50 HID kit
(Just over ?5k in total running costs)
Do you know what though its been worth every penny!

Great write up... I will be using my bike every day to from Surrey into the City.... where in London do you work....? Most of what you mentioned is on my bucket list too...

Back