Hybrid X - Advanced Nano Coating

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the chances of doing a comparison with another black sthou to see if you can tell the difference?

It's unlikely, i've not seen another black one haha. Also they would both need to be dirty so i could do a controlled comparison washing them side by side :)

I'd be interested but my lid is the Matt black shoei so not sure if it would work!

It would work but would leave a glossy sheen to it, im sure if you wanted a shiny lid you'd have bought one? haha

I have a new gloss NXR Tc-2.
Happy to test if no one sticks their hand up.

It's looking like you're going to be my guinea pig! If you wanna email me ur address and ill send you a kit out :)

Tempted by the full bike kit for mine before it gets chipped or scratched - how simple is this to apply? Electronics, computers and mechanics I can do, but paintwork not so much :)

Do you think a helmet kit would cover just the front fairing and tank for stone chips and scratches?

Also, will it cover or exaggerate minor imperfections (I have a few marks on top of the tank from a zip or something, but just in the top coat it seems)

Also considering Venture Shield - any thoughts on how it compares with this for stone chips on the front end?

The basic coating is a very simple process, just very time consuming.. If your like me and find cleaning the bike a pain it'll be a difficult few hours for ya. I do however think its well worth it as i've not had to polish it since!

Unfortunately I wouldn't like to comment on the protection it provides as there isn't really a way to test it... (got to be honest, im not confident enough to start throwing stones at my bike from across the car park!!) I suppose its the sort of thing you'd only notice if it stopped working. And there are some things that are impossible to prevent even with ventureshield a big enough stone or leant on zip could leave its mark..

It neither covers or exaggerates existing marks, it just leaves a nice deeply polished look, and the helmet kit would probably cover either the front or the tank? its about a 6th of the amount you get for the bike. It is worth noting ive got quite a lot left over but i've still got the wheels and engine to do.

Another quick update.

Had a cracking ride out on Sunday, Found a brilliant bit of road that i didn't know existed despite passing it on a regular basis! When I got back the front of the bike was littered with insect remains which I was very pleased to watch rinse off with the hose, there was just one stubborn bit of goo that wiped off with my finger, no detergents or soaps needed :)

Dried it off with a shammy and compressed air for the hard to reach bits and she's back to showroom standard (which is a good thing because thats where i keep her!)

Hi Guys,

It's been a couple of months since I applied the coating and i've got to say I'm disappointed. After using the bike in all weathers and all conditions - covered it in flies at snetterton, It doesn't seem to be the product its advertised to be.

Dirt doesn't hose off with water
Water sits on the paint and leaves spots if you don't dry it off (so much for Hydrophobic!)
And in all honesty there are a couple of marks to the paintwork that weren't there before application, I know i can't blame the coating for marks but it is supposed to make the paint more resistant to marks.

I'm going to discuss it with the rep and see what he has to say. TBH I'd love for it to be my fault for applying it incorrectly - but I get the feeling its not what its made out to be.

Sorry for getting anyones hopes up! haha. I'll let you know if I get any different results.

I'm getting a nano coating professionally fitted this Friday after bumping into the guy who does it for Bahnstormer at their Alton branch when I called in for a brew on a ride. I had my new car done at Ultimate Finish. Stephen mentions he was disappointed with the water marks left after he had washed it. Whilst the nano coating will help with water beading there will always be small droplets that still attach to your bike/car and these will leave water marks after you have hosed it. I have just started to use a product called Aquagleam on my bike and car. This provides pure water for the final rinse. The results have been staggering. No need to dry the bike or car afterwards, just leave it to dry. No drying means saved time and more importantly you are less likely to introduce fine swirl marks into your paint. I washed my car and bike yesterday in a very sunny afternoon. Not a single water mark on either. This normally would have taken ages to achieve and I would have needed a finishing spray also to clear the marks. An alternative product is made by RaceGlaze. I think I will try them next as it will be cheaper to use in the longer term.

Oh I forgot to mention that I already have Venture shield fitted which I think is the best product for protecting the vulnerable areas on the bike. This nano coating sits on top of the Venture Shield. It will also remove the unsightly dirty marks you get on the edges of Venture Shield and stop them coming back.

I dont get any issues with water marks on the body work (i use dodo juice). The only place i get it is on top of the chrome swing arm especially where the hugger attaches. I find a ptfe spray helps though

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I was thinking of having my bike & cars done, but reading the above has put me off a bit. The one thing I'd really value is some sort of barrier to make cleaning the wheels, especially the rear a lot easier.

Any top tips please?

I recently applied HybridX to my toy, but am not happy with the result. Water does not run off the treated surfaces in the manner described. I have emailed Ian at Advanced Nano Coating with photos about this, and am awaiting his reply, which I'll copy up here.

Subsequently, I recorded, poorly, the application of HybridX to the right side of my screen, and Rain X to the left. I did this in 8 short videos, and they are being uploaded to Youtube. Here are the ones available at present, and I'll come back to here, and edit in the remain clips when they are done.

https://youtu.be/WcuAdVzDt38
https://youtu.be/JQlqtz6JsMU
https://youtu.be/SMhS1v94v1M
https://youtu.be/IeRqaSk4uCE
https://youtu.be/jmaiHoGnwhU
https://youtu.be/tFPTgsXMCEU
https://youtu.be/wmHNXIKj3qE
https://youtu.be/m_AQO6r7gTs

Last edited by a moderator:
My update for you:

27/8/16 I emailed Hybrid X owner Ian Gilby as follows:
"Thank you for your reply.

I thoroughly cleaned the toy with SDoc100, and rinsed it well. A couple of days later, I followed the instructions using EX1, then EX2, and a day later EX3. The right rear panel (# 006), is a brand new panel, which I did not use SDoc100 on, just HybridX.

Your instructions, and videos, state “less is more”, and I adhered to that. Is it possible that I used it too sparingly?

The EX2 bottle does not have a spray cap, like the others. So I used 2 drops at time.

Photos attached.
"

He replied on 30/8/16 as follows:
"Hi Martin

At last had a chance to watch your vids and look at the pictures and thanks for the feedback.

From the pictures I can see the surface has beaded up but I can also see water run marks. This is associated with being two things, one being a little to sparing and the other gravity.

Explanation.

Sparingly, It is very difficult to explain in writing on how much fluid is the correct amount. There is video of product usage on the hybridx web site (media) as demonstration of using too much and the correct amount. From your pictures, a little to sparing. This is evident from the angle of the bead on some of the droplets. Oval and flat, the water bead looks like it has ‘drag’.

Gravity, water beads like all things in the world have to conform to the relativity rules of gravity. If the bead is to light then it cannot roll and will just sit there.

https://vimeo.com/172864479

Please look at the vid links, these show a bike being cleaned with just a hose and water, you will see the water still conforms to gravity and leaves some water behind. But, the whole cleaning process is effortless. The muck and grime just washed off.

https://vimeo.com/166962443

This vid, shows coating in process. You will see from it the amount used and how it is explained less is more principle.

I was at a classic show this weekend and had a guy called Geoff come onto the stand, in fact he then brought his Ducati on to the stand for us to display, he had not polished his bike for two and a half years since he applied just the Ex4 polish. Still looking brilliant. He told me he has never used anything except just cold water to clean his bike. Furthermore, this bike is used regularly.

Conclusion, I think you have been a little to sparing. But still have managed to get a pretty good result.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards
Ian
Advanced NANO Coating"

Gravity, water beads like all things in the world have to conform to the relativity rules of gravity.

Seriously? Relativity rules of gravity?

If the bead is to light then it cannot roll and will just sit there.

If mg < ?N (weight of the droplet is less than the force of its surface tension/friction holding in place) it ain't moving. However, it is the surface tension/friction not the gravity that stops it rolling off.

Please look at the vid links, these show a bike being cleaned with just a hose and water, you will see the water still conforms to gravity and leaves some water behind.

Gravity is what makes things fall/roll down. It has nothing to do with stuff not falling/rolling down.

Thanks for the info richy, ill have to try that aquagleam, the water spots are the bit i find most frustrating.

2 years on...what do you think about the coating? how long does it last before it starts wearing of? etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 years on...what do you think about the coating? how long does it last before it starts wearing of? etc

Hi,

Sorry I didn?t see your post.

I?ve since changed my bike so I dont know how well it lasts.

Overall we were very disappointed with hybrid x. But about 6 months ago we saw them at a camper van show and decided to tell them what we thought of their product.
The bloke there was very apologetic and explained that his (now ex) business associate had been watering down the product and selling it on for personal gain.

By way of apology he offered to visit us at the shop and replace all of our stock with the right stuff.

He was true to his word and sure enough he came in and took the stock away. He offered to pop in a month later once we had received the new stock to show me how to apply it. (I know it?s a simple enough product to use but i thought if he shows me what to do then there?ll be no doubt that it was applied correctly)

I was very pleased with this development as I was initially excited by the product then very underwhelmed with the results.

Anyway, it?s been 6 months and he hasn?t been in to demo it and tbh I am beyond disappointed to the point i don?t care anymore.

tl;dr I?ve given up on miracle cures, I just clean it regularly

Hi,

Sorry I didn?t see your post.

I?ve since changed my bike so I dont know how well it lasts.

Overall we were very disappointed with hybrid x. But about 6 months ago we saw them at a camper van show and decided to tell them what we thought of their product.
The bloke there was very apologetic and explained that his (now ex) business associate had been watering down the product and selling it on for personal gain.

By way of apology he offered to visit us at the shop and replace all of our stock with the right stuff.

He was true to his word and sure enough he came in and took the stock away. He offered to pop in a month later once we had received the new stock to show me how to apply it. (I know it?s a simple enough product to use but i thought if he shows me what to do then there?ll be no doubt that it was applied correctly)

I was very pleased with this development as I was initially excited by the product then very underwhelmed with the results.

Anyway, it?s been 6 months and he hasn?t been in to demo it and tbh I am beyond disappointed to the point i don?t care anymore.

tl;dr I?ve given up on miracle cures, I just clean it regularly

Thanks for this Stephen [emoji1474]

Just spotted this thread. I have just applied car pro cquartz 3UK its a ceramic clear followed by car pro reload. Gloss is amazing. Will report after long term use but looking at you tube tests it certainly provides abrasion resistance and hydrophobic properties. I have a black bike so important nit to have swirl marks

Chris

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back