MCN 2016 Superbike Group Test

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/X-SfKUoLv9g

I'll say it first... W.T.F??

3rd best on the road and track for the S1000RR...followed by this ridiculous quote..."the R1 misses out on the top spot cause it's too track focused"...but that's after beating the RR on the road.

MN told Prime Factors he basically can't vote for the RR cause he rides one in the Thundersport series. As per usual, bad choice of track and an abject lack of focus of what's important on the "road".

Last edited:
Usual MCN crap, they're trying to save face with the R1 because they've been telling everyone its brilliant but in reality found that its uncomfortable as hell on the road (where 99% of them are used) and are dull to ride unless youre thrashing the bollox off them. I'm going to see if I can take a 1299S out to see what all the fuss is about, but it'll have to be bloody good to justify its price tag...

That's the thing, the "winner" costs a whopping 25% more than any of the others. Ridiculous.

The winner is also 300cc more. The RR did beat the R1 on the track though, and that will do for me.

I just can't take MCN seriously any more, in fact, I have cancelled my subscription, I have been buying it for 40 years, but I think we are all better informed by reading various inputs on the 'net and making our own minds up.

Yep, I've been buying it since I was 16, not 40 years but still a bloody long time(!), I think its a habit more than anything.. its become the worst kind of tabloid, trash journalism where they're desperate to make headlines even if that means ignoring their own facts ie R1 not really usable on road, poor brakes and 3rd fastest on track yet comes 2nd overall!!

Last edited:
It seems like the R1 should be third on the road even going by what they actually say in the review? It also looks like they are not taking price into consideration. Perhaps thats a good thing because it leaves you something too decide on yourself.
I'm lucky to have an 1199s in the garage but it needs to be rode hard before it really works. From what I've heard this has been addressed by the better electronics and bigger capacity on the 1299. It's like (I'd imagine) comparing a Ferrari and an M car. The Ducati has more sex appeal and excitement than the BMW but the BMW will match it's performance and do all sorts of more practical things that the tarty italian doesn't like to do and at ?5000 less which is a hell of a lot of money. I wonder how they would compare if you had spent an extra ?5k on BMW performance parts to match the prices up? The ?5k price difference played a big part in me buying the BMW.

It seems like the R1 should be third on the road even going by what they actually say in the review? It also looks like they are not taking price into consideration. Perhaps thats a good thing because it leaves you something too decide on yourself.
I'm lucky to have an 1199s in the garage but it needs to be rode hard before it really works. From what I've heard this has been addressed by the better electronics and bigger capacity on the 1299. It's like (I'd imagine) comparing a Ferrari and an M car. The Ducati has more sex appeal and excitement than the BMW but the BMW will match it's performance and do all sorts of more practical things that the tarty italian doesn't like to do and at ?5000 less which is a hell of a lot of money. I wonder how they would compare if you had spent an extra ?5k on BMW performance parts to match the prices up? The ?5k price difference played a big part in me buying the BMW.
Well said sir..

MCN - "The RR was best on the road last year" and now its 3rd behind the R1 and there have been no changes to either of them?? Don't get that. And why test the 1299S? Why not the standard one which has a price tag near the rest? Its actually 33% more expensive not 25%!! Sorry - don't mean to be picky :)

MCN - "The RR was best on the road last year" and now its 3rd behind the R1 and there have been no changes to either of them?? Don't get that. And why test the 1299S? Why not the standard one which has a price tag near the rest? Its actually 33% more expensive not 25%!! Sorry - don't mean to be picky :)

LOL - no worries - yes you're right - I'll take my dunce cap in medium please.

MCN have really got their knickers in a twist over this one i say..

I look forward to a honest oppinion of 1299 as I thought worst bike I've ridden so bad I test rode 2 to make sure this is off somone who did 17k on my 1199 n loved every min ,

I think all testers are taking back handers I remember 2009 Big Bang r1 was the numero Uno the year later it was last Gsxr and blade were exactly same bikes as well they have serious memory problems or just huge bulk shitters !

I was watching the BvG video of the Diavel launch in San Diego, all expenses paid trip etc, very nice if you can get it. I guess it's very tempting not to slag a bike off you don't like if it means potentially falling out with a manufacturer and not getting invited on future fancy dan launches even if that means glossing over the truth when it goes to writing up the review...I'm intending to take a 1299 out for a spin soon to try myself, both my local Ducati dealers have just got their new demo bikes in.

Yes be nice to see honest feed back I can't fault my 2015 zx10 needed a few quod spent on upgrades but fantastic bike in end . Feel bmw not much to do to it cool bike standard not 100% with ddc yet do il give it a month make my mind up if not happy b k tech there's my write up ps 1299 crap hope it helps lol

Would a 'other bikes review' section be of use on the forum?

I think this would be a great idea soof , planning a few test rides myself, not jumping ship though, just want to rag some other bikes

C,mon.. WTF?

R1 is 2nd cos its uncomfortable on road and too track focused.

How much for the Ducati?

Bell end alert!!

Yes Neeves rode the thing to Spain on his hols or something (think he must be single...) and said how wonderful it was, seems to have changed his tune doesn't he? Mind you Tim Thompson & the editor from Fast Bikes both have written about how they've been touring on the R1.. It's almost like someone's taken them to one side and said 'look we know its a race bike and all the over 40's won't buy it as they think it'll cripple them, can't you say nice things about how comfy it is for touring so we can stop them buying BMW's' !

Back