Getting ready for track days

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupe

Reaction score
I've been looking for a while now at track fairings and was going round in circles.
They varied from ?400- ?700 and some would require painting on top of that.
It would also mean stripping my road bike and fannying about with making them fit then taking them on and off whenever I wanted to do track days.
In the end I managed to source replacement fairings from a zero mile 2016 bike being stripped to within an inch of its life for racing.
When they asked me if there was anything else I required I asked about the possibility of HP wheels. My current tyres need replaced at a cost of ?350 so when I was offered the complete wheels for a very good price as a combined set, I couldn't turn it down.
Roll on the track days!

Awesome - knowing you have spares does ease the mind a little. And spare wheels are a great investment!

Result loupe. Now get yourself a van, and put snetterton in the sat nav for May.

(or failing that come to croft in April with me :) ). It's only about a hundred zillion hours drive for you lol.

Nice one Loupe. Don't muck about with track days in this country, its just not worth it!!

Way more track time, ni-on guaranteed sun, Better quality of fellow riders skills, more track miles for the buck, tracks not developed from an old airfield, have quality evening's on the beach/bar with fellow riders, i don't want to die, ESCAPE FROM THE WIFE and it's warm and dry...............

Result loupe. Now get yourself a van, and put snetterton in the sat nav for May.

(or failing that come to croft in April with me :) ). It's only about a hundred zillion hours drive for you lol.

Sometimes I wish I didn't live so far away, I miss out on tracks but the roads here are amazing.
I'm going to look into Jerez for next year if get the bug at my local track (6 hour round trip!)

Thats the way to do it Loupe, there are loads getting stripped for super stocks. I just got a belly pan of a zero miles HP4 Carbon last week, felt like the Holy Grail. Lol. Also got a spare pair of HP wheels still in the box. Magpies are amateurs.
Great find.

JimmyMac

Way more track time, ni-on guaranteed sun, Better quality of fellow riders skills, more track miles for the buck, tracks not developed from an old airfield, have quality evening's on the beach/bar with fellow riders, i don't want to die, ESCAPE FROM THE WIFE and it's warm and dry...............

Hahaha, I wasn't convinced till I read the bit in capital letters!

Thats the way to do it Loupe, there are loads getting stripped for super stocks. I just got a belly pan of a zero miles HP4 Carbon last week, felt like the Holy Grail. Lol. Also got a spare pair of HP wheels still in the box. Magpies are amateurs.
Great find.

JimmyMac

Thanks Jimmy, I can now go onto the track with a bit more confidence.
If I slide it then I can replace and get back on the road next week.
Think I'll buy the switchgear too, ?200 with all the buttons and clip ons.

Sometimes I wish I didn't live so far away, I miss out on tracks but the roads here are amazing.
I'm going to look into Jerez for next year if get the bug at my local track (6 hour round trip!)

Knockhill loupe? i will be doing a few this year through ducati glasgow again , very well run events, no tubes so far , open pit always a great night, first one I am doing is April the 15th.

Knockhill loupe? i will be doing a few this year through ducati glasgow again , very well run events, no tubes so far , open pit always a great night, first one I am doing is April the 15th.

Yes that's my closest track, think it will be April when I'm down.
Be good to meet you if you're about then.

yeah for sure keep me posted nearer the time, you seem well prepared should the worst happen!, but I honestly think you have less chance of crashing on track, you can push much harder but it is ultimately a much safer environment, saying that I did crash lol but I got carried away chasing lap times on a road bike with road tyres....... are you doing your trackdays through knockhill? have you thought about what type of trackday? I started off doing the sessions/groups but found the open pit format much better, the novice groups were much more hairy than the fast groups and the 20 min session format is not great in my opinion you end up getting pulled off just when you find your rhythm, where as on the open pit you can go on and off as much as you like. I would highly recommend the ducati glasgow nights the are not exclusively for ducatis anyone can book through there site on any bike.

just my 2 cents mate.

David

yeah for sure keep me posted nearer the time, you seem well prepared should the worst happen!, but I honestly think you have less chance of crashing on track, you can push much harder but it is ultimately a much safer environment, saying that I did crash lol but I got carried away chasing lap times on a road bike with road tyres....... are you doing your trackdays through knockhill? have you thought about what type of trackday? I started off doing the sessions/groups but found the open pit format much better, the novice groups were much more hairy than the fast groups and the 20 min session format is not great in my opinion you end up getting pulled off just when you find your rhythm, where as on the open pit you can go on and off as much as you like. I would highly recommend the ducati glasgow nights the are not exclusively for ducatis anyone can book through there site on any bike.

just my 2 cents mate.

David

Thanks for the info David, an open pit sounds ideal.
Ill go in with my eyes wide open and enjoy it for what it is, can't wait!

just my 2 cents mate.

David

I did one last year at the end of July , it was a very well run night and open pit was superb.

Back