New tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Getting to that time where im thinking new tyres...anyone point me in the right direction...Im actually quite happy with the Pirellis. Ive been a 2CT man for probably the last 8 years, they have never let me down or skipped out on me..pitty Michelin dont do the 200 rear profile.

I did read I could use a rear 190.. anyone got any opinions on this.

Stu

Last edited:
I got new tyres last week. Been a michellin man for yrs on the r1 (pp3s) but i wanted a rounder profile for the beamer. It was a toss up between the m7rr or sportsmarts 2. I plumped for the later. 150 miles of shit roads and all is good

I've used Pirelli for years on my 2 blades and now got them on my 15 after I punctured the Bridgestone. Loved the Bridgestone but last time I had them on my blade rear was gone in just over 2k miles whereas Pirelli I usually see 4-4.5k out a rear. JimmyMac has put a few miles on his HP4 so he should have some good recommendations.

I got new tyres last week. Been a michellin man for yrs on the r1 (pp3s) but i wanted a rounder profile for the beamer. It was a toss up between the m7rr or sportsmarts 2. I plumped for the later. 150 miles of shit roads and all is good

Any links pof...

+1 on the sportsmarts 2s, I think these are great been using these for 2 years , great on road and adequate on track until you realy start pushing it......

If it's road only - all weathers - I'd go M7RR or Pilot 4's. I'm probably going to try out the latter when my Continental Sport Attacks are done with.

Sport Smart 2 and Conti Sport Attacks are good for everything except winter I'd say.

Last edited:
Hey Stuart, Had Metzeler K3s on my 12 S1000RR, which were absolutely fantastic. Never used anything but Pirrelli Super Diablos on my HP4 as thats whats recommended, never had any issues except I did wear a rear out in a weekend in the Highlands (800 miles)

In fairness it was a hot weekend and lots of long straights in the middle of nowhere.

I think you are better sticking to 200 series tyres as that is what your bikes computer is calibrated to, there is a train of thought that the DDC and TC might be a bit confused with a 190 on the back, not that I am hugely knowledgeable in such areas but I am old enough to remember the trouble that was caused by Carlos Fandango. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX__PlOda0E

JimmyMac

I'd stick with the 200 profile just because that is how the TC is calibrated. It is a workshop adjustment to change the TC for a different profile tyre, although many members have run different rear profiles and reported no issues without messing with the TC.

I run M7RRs on my HP4 and they have been excellent.

800 miles lol!
Makes 1700 miles on each of my 2 new bikes with the 600 mile run in period not so bad after all :beguiled:

I'd stick with the 200 profile just because that is how the TC is calibrated. It is a workshop adjustment to change the TC for a different profile tyre, although many members have run different rear profiles and reported no issues without messing with the TC.

I run M7RRs on my HP4 and they have been excellent.

Do you know if that is the same thing for the other bikes? My 2014 has a 200/55 Supercorsa fitted that has clearly seen some track action but it hasn't given me any problems with the TC in the short distance I have used it :)

And M7RR's are what i had on my last bike, massively impressed with them and was planning on changing to M7RR's on this bike when the time comes to put new boots on her :)

Last edited:
Hi mick :). The bike TC will have been set up from factory with whatever the profile size is for that build, I'm guessing 195/50 or 55? But it would say in your handbook I believe. Real world experiences from other members ( bananaman and baz have run different profiles and do a lot of track time) suggests the TC calibration is not needed as it makes no noticeable difference. So I wouldn't be concerned unless you find the bike is not behaving :).

Another M7RR fan, they have worked really well on my bike. I was a little hesitant about going with them originally because of the 'sports touring' label possibly ruining a brilliant sports bike but I've done several trackdays using them as well as the usual jaunts. I can't compete with bikes running slicks in the dry, but don't fall off when it gets a bit wet so I'm happy.

hello, what was the reason for wanting a rounder profile? im a pp3 man and even have a new set ready for my 15.

I found the r1 very "nosey" and tbf i set it up a little like that as well. The s1k is very neutral in the way it turns ie it drops "flat". I like the way it rolls on a rounder profile.

Ok thanks all....I have an aversion to DunloBs...however it was a long time ago on a Gixxer 11 and to be fair it was me just going a bit too hard when I had a step out.. I've disliked them ever since. That said I recently used to buy a few sets of practice Dunlop Qualifiers off Mark Buckley, sadly before he passed away, sticky as fuck but my blades just ate them.

Me and my wee mate are utterly sold on 2CTs I've gone through christ knows how many sets in the last 8 or so years, they haven't given either of us any concern even under the most extreme conditions......if you know what I mean.

Anyhow they don't do a 200...so time for a change...these Pirellis are decent..I've had a few hard runs to Oban and back before the weather changed and was comfortable with them..it's probably more a mental thing for me.

Liking the sound of the Metzelers...I had a set of sport attacks on one of my blades and found them to be fine..so these M7RR I'm starting to get my heid roon.

Thanks for the solid advice as usual

Last edited:
Hi Jimmy..was looking at your pics there, I had a similar experience, I just made it to Dingwall last year, my rear 2CT was worn right round the whole circumference about an inch wider than yours lol, I took my 10R into BRC Motorcycles Muir of Ord..the guys nearly had a heart attack when I turned in...the crown of the tyre was as thin as a fag paper..

I can't find the images I took, unfortunately. christ know how it never blew out...think that's another reason I'm a Michelin man

Aye, we were sitting having a cup of coffee in Blairgowrie and this guy comes in asking who the Beemer belonged to, I said me and he said your back tyres fucked. I hadn't noticed and would have ridden it home, however I'm so glad the guy seen it. It wouldn't have lasted and I dread to think what would have happened at speed. Bought on the Friday, bought another set on the Monday!!

JimmyMac

Lol... at least I had a few months out of mine...you must have been dissapointed to say the least. Bit of a bummer to end a nice wee break.

Back