Power Commander V for 2015 model

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I have just been reading Ride magazine and how one of the editors had a Power Commander V fitted to a new Suzuki. They stated new bikes are set up to run on the borderline of being as lean as possible due to EU regulations and that the Power Commander has adjusted these settings to allow a better fueling. That's my interpretation.
My question therefore is the 2015 model suffering from the same restrictions to meet these EU regulations and would it be improved with a PCV. What difference would I notice as I ride.
Is the PCV the same sort of thing that some guys have had done at Hilltop?
i have no technical knowledge so please keep it simples.
thanks

Hilltop do ecu 'flashing' a permanent (I think) change in the ecu. PCv is a piggy back enabling changes in the fuelling and can be removed back to standard. Both have favourable reports. Every engine out of the factory will be different to a certain extent and both are a means of correcting the fuelling + what you may change eg exhaust.

Last edited:
Every single engine is different and no amount of flashing an ECU is going to give you a perfect tune, that can only really be done on a dyno as the bike is moving as you get to map in real time, when you flash an ECU it is just like upgrading the software on a laptop, it's improved software with a better than generic fueling map on it. The fact remains that if that software if being flashed to every bike that goes in for the same service then it is a generic map still.

A power commander, Bazzaz or any other of the piggy back tuning units sit in between the injectors and the ECU and they further adjust the fueling far better and some with the autotune modules like the PCV will actually adjust as the bike is moving too.

All ECU's on modern sports bikes are tuned to go safe lean in the area of the map and LOAD point for emissions testing.
All piggybacks are able to fill these points on the map with extra fuel, but others can add timing too. Best gains need 8 injector+timing control.
Reflashing the ECU will do the same without the need for additional hardware.

Yes but an ECU flash is like putting a powerchip on a car, it is a map that someone has written based on what has produced the desired results over a number of vehicles.

There are very few ECU's on the market fitted to standard bikes that can actually map on the fly, they simply take readings from what is going in through the intake and what is coming out through the exhaust and adjust basic settings.

ECU flashing may unlock the potential and be a step in the right direction but a piggyback module is the next step on any engine other than actually upgrading the ECU to one that allows full access to be able to map each cylinder and gears, specifically because it can then be mapped as it is moving on a Dyno

To my knowledge the S1000RR ECU doesn't allow that?

HP Race Calibration Kit

You can access the 2015 ECU via the HP Race Calibration Kit 3, and associated enabling code, which allows you to alter variables like ignition timing, fuelling and other electronic parameters. If you then purchase the HP Race ECU a whole host of further options become available to you. However, you need to be technically proficient with the BMW system and be prepared to spend a lot of time on track setting it up correctly. It's designed for race use only and gives you infinitely more tuning options than a PCV but at far greater expense. A PCV, and time on a Dyno, is generally more than sufficient if you are just wanting to alter the fuelling for smoother throttle response having made changes to the bike's exhaust system.

Back