Removing the OEM alarm

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
If I want to remove the OEM alarm, to have it replaced with something else, is it just plugged in? Does the dealer need to do it? (ECU update?)

I'm thinking about just having BikeTrac on it, and not bothering with the non-thatcham OEM unit. Plus the tiny boot space would be useful. :)

The OEM just unplugs , I know that if you have one fitted it has to be put onto the loom through the ECU, It may be worth a quick call to the dealer to see if it needs plugging in to tell the edu that it has been removed.

Hi Alex, I got the BikeTrac fitted to mine the day after I bought it, great system. Even showed that I was doing 38MPH in a 40 zone, when I got pulled by a very aggressive traffic cop who claimed I was doing between 60-90. Well worth the money and subscription, don't need to take your original alarm out though? I never switch mine on but its still there.

JimmyMac

Bike Trac will help you get your bike back but the alarm will help it being taken in the first place. If you remove the alarm you can also get a smaller battery as bikes supplied with alarms had larger ones installed.

An audible alarm hasn't been a deterrent so far, but then they didn't get passed the disc lock (the f**kers).

Without Thatcham approval it seems a bit of a joke. And in London I think recovery is more important than deterrent.

I'll try to remember to call the dealer some time. Thanks for the input.

Alex , you can just unplug it - no detriment or resetting necessary . Same as refitting - it self calibrates and works . Cheers, Graham.

I have a BikeTrac, note that Road Angel themselves advise that you don't advertise that it has a tracker for obvious reasons. Cover the bike with Datatag/SmartWater stickers though!

I've kept my alarm, I figured that the Thatcham factor only really affects insurance premiums- a non-determined thief will hopefully bypass an alarmed bike for an easier target whether it's Thatcham approved or not. A determined thief will take the bike whether it's beeping or not, and that's where the tracker comes in handy.

I do like the BikeTrac, but mine stopped working a few weeks ago- apparently the SIMs in many units have lost connectivity due to a carrier issue. It's been at BMW now for several days while they replace the tracker entirely.... It was tucked away on a solar dripfeed anyway waiting for dry weather, but still, it's a bummer. (Of course it pi$$ed down on the day it was booked so the bike is now filthy :( )

Thanks Graham :)

Hey Alex can you confirm this works for me please.....

mines a 2016 with the factory optional alarm. I want to remove it due to lack of space. (I have it switched off on the settings.)

Case of just disconnection battery and unplugging/removing unit?

Back