Renewal Blues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Unsurprisingly my insurance renewal quote has been jacked up to punish me for using the roads - whilst I did have an accident this year, it was not my fault (the driver was prosecuted, his ins co accepted all liability)...

Anyway things I have noticed this year.
BMW Ins charge a renewal fee as a separate item - does anyone else find this a little rich - it's only a tenner, so it ain't going to change your choice of insurer, just seems really cheeky charging to retain your business....surely the ins premium is what they get for your business? This makes it feel like it is an inconvenience (to them) renewing..
Equity Red Star, underwriters of BMW Ins, employ some of the least capable human beings on planet earth.
I utterly utterly hate the insurance industry. Granted, I noticed this a long time ago.... I would love to understand it better, does anyone know of any articles/websites that explain how they think/work/have the bare faced cheek to do some of the shit they do?

Now off to generate all the quotes that will trigger all those tele-dummies to endlessly call me again and again.

The only good thing is that I have got myself into a place where two of things I hate most in the world (Xmas and renewal) are close enough together that I can be angry for a fortnight, and then get on with my life the rest of the year

Bah Humbug everyone....

Last edited:
brilliant post mate couldn't agree more, scum of the earth the lot of them!

Bah humbug indeed

i just changed from a 2010 to a 2015,i renewed 2 months ago for ?240.00 and to change to the 15 they needed another 280.00 for the next 10 months..over doubled.

Last edited:
Good write up and have to agree insurance companies are unbelievable, had my renewal notice last month which was ?330 for a 2014. I called them up to say don't auto renew, they then said whats the best quote you have had? I had not searched at that point and just said ?220 off the cuff. They then came back with ?209......amazing. Still not decided as yet but just goes to show its let pick a number..

Oh and agree Xmas - bah humbug.....roll on spring and warm weather.

I pay ?700 fully comp for 3 bikes, S1K,748 & GS1150 Carole Nash, they wanted ?900 at renewal, just negotiate hard, be prepared to walk away.

I've also used moneysavingexpert to get my quotes. It tells you the order to search the various search engines out there and you can opt out of being contacted. I always manage to easily beat my renewal. Once you achieve this you can then play one company off against your existing insurer to match or beat your best quote.

Im in mid "negotiations" as we speak. Thought i had a good deal (half of what im paying now) but they dont like pc5s. Another company was 100 cheaper until tjey realised it wasnt behind bricks at night. At this rate i will be back with mce and getting fleeced for another yr

Last edited:
My 15 s1000 is somewhere around ?140 comprehensive with all the extra's declared to a tune of ?16885. See there are the odd advantage's of being an old git...

Well I don't really see the point of people sharing their ins quotes because it is such a personal thing re your circumstances...but I'm going to tell you one I just got.... I usually get a multi-bike, but exploring separating them to check if it's a better deal. I just got a comp quote for my S1K, for SDP only, 3000 miles p.a. at ?9764.77... now think about how much a 2012 S1K is worth.......... This from someone in a nice area, garage, lots of security, years of NCB on car and bike etc etc. I've had others that are 1/20 of this one, just had to share how ridiculous it was....

Nine thousand, seven hundred and sixty four pounds. wow....just wow.....

They do these quotes when they don't want the business but the system is setup to give an answer.

Yup, but I think a straight F** O** would have been more honest :)

And it was ?350 last year as part of the multibike policy last year ....with business use.

I agree with Rick that sharing renewal prices is a pointless exercise. I pay more than l might otherwise do because I share my postcode with one of the richest (and most burgled) streets in Yorkshire. Where I specifically live is very safe and virtually no crime which is frustrating.

It gets better. Mce quote after giving all details =545 , mce online 273,ring mce back and goes to 480 then 430 after managerial discount. I say thats 170 quid more than YOURSELVES online. Best quote from the young lady "i will call you back in an hr to find out which quote you are going to take ":confused-new:. Mmmmm mce for270 or mce for 430 lol

It gets better. Mce quote after giving all details =545 , mce online 273,ring mce back and goes to 480 then 430 after managerial discount. I say thats 170 quid more than YOURSELVES online. Best quote from the young lady "i will call you back in an hr to find out which quote you are going to take ":confused-new:. Mmmmm mce for270 or mce for 430 lol

That IS special lol #makesNoSense

Last edited:
I am reliably informed that when it comes to Insurance pretty much all companies that use comparison websites like Go Compare can always be haggled with over the phone.

All insurers using the comparison websites add on a charge for the commission they pay to the likes of Go Compare and Confused for advertising their insurance, so the advice I got from someone in the industry was to do a comparison search and then rather than use the redirect link, ring the company direct and get them to do a quote over the phone, then if they do not match what you see on the screen in front of them, hit them with the price they are displaying!

Also bear in mind that all quotes that are done over the internet are "New business" quotes so they will always be normally cheaper than the standard renewal you get, I even got advice from a young lady I was speaking to when I changed to the S1000RR that it would be cheaper for me to cancel my existing policy with them and re-insure as a new customer and remain with the same company and that was her trying to save me money :D

But insurance is a strange game, when i was looking at getting a HP4 Carbon my exisiting insurer who was insuring 2 "non alarmed" Aprilia RSV's on a multibike policy refused to give me a quote when telling them I was getting rid of the Apes and getting the BMW, and all because I had not owned one of them bikes for a year...

Even though at 46 I have well over the full NCD and the bike was alarmed and in a concrete and secured garage.

I cancelled the insurance and tried Bennetts who would have been more than happy to insure the Carbon at ?262 fully comp, with all the trimmings and yet the year before they themselves refused to insure the Apes which had a joint value of around ?8K because they didn't have alarms.

Stranger still having had the HP4 deal fall through on me I bought a 2014 S1000RR and went back to my original insurer who had refused to quote me, told them that Bennetts had quoted ?262 for the HP4 Carbon and they then quoted me ?265 but that also includes all my leathers and helmets too!!

go figure :D

I took the online with mce for 270 in the end rather than mce on phone for 430. Ridiculas price difference considering its the same company

Did you check any difference in excess? I had MCE a couple of years back, and I realised months into the policy that my excess was about ?2k. I'm for all never wanting to have to claim on ins, but if I do I don't want to contribute that much...

Mine is500 vol and 500 comp i suppose the "difference" in price is commession

I'm having to pay 670 fully comp. Have to cancel the insurance on my Honda and set up fresh for the BMW as current insurer won't cover a change to BM. They will of course cancel and start a fresh for 1300 quid! 670 was a little more than I was hoping for but it is what it is. Was 140 a year fully comp on the old blade.

Back