Enlighten me!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick753

Reaction score
With regards to LED indicators (see what i did there? :D )

Ok so I haven't even ridden the beastie and yet I am spying these nice flush mounted indicators from Motodynamics in the US that sit neatly in the air duct on the rear and their flush mounted front indicators too (and their tail tidy but that isn't a lighting issue :D ).

And on reading the instructions they have for download on their site and some sort of advisory notice I am getting mixed signals (at it again! :D ) about whether or not these force you into needing some sort of ECU flash by the local BMW dealer??

On one hand it states that the indicators come packaged with optional resistors that you would normally expect to have to change when going from bulbs to LED's but in their advisory notice it then mentioned that the problem with the CAN-BUS lamp out warning issue can be got around by not fitting the resistors?

I have emailed them and also to be cheeky and ask if they can state a lower value on the import so I don't get humped for nearly ?60 in delivery and tax but they haven't got back to me, now I have either offended them, they're too busy, missed the email or quite simply haven't bothered their arse to reply.... regardless has anyone got these indicators fitted and if so do you need to go and pay for an ECU update to keep the lamp out warning working?

Bizarre, i no sooner type this out and submit it and i get an email from Motodynamics advising me of everything I need to know :D

For anyone that may be interested their advice (and seemingly they have sold thousands of these units now) is that for a bike that does not come from the Factory fitted with LED's already then you can use their indicators and either fit the included resistors on the front indicators or the rear but not both, for a bike that comes fitted with LED's then they are a straight swap.

Seemingly no ECU update needed whatsoever which contradicted what I was reading, seemingly because if the ECU update is done it turns off the ability for the bike to warn of a lamp being out, whereas just fitting their resistors saves you the need for doing it as they are already CAN-BUS friendly.

Helpful bunch! :)

Oh and they also said that they would mark the value at half of what I was paying (so effectively I am importing $100 worth and not $200! :D )

Back