Lithium-Ion Battery vs OEM

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I decided to buy a Lithium-Ion Shido battery for interests sake. The battery in my 2012 was original, and one day it will let me down. So to hell with it, lets try something new.

I've not used it yet, I'll update when I do, but I can confirm they are <30% of the OEM weight.

Shido LTZ10S = 900grams
Yuasa YTZ10S = 3100grams

It promises great CC ability, but being a sceptic I'm keeping the other battery safe and charged for now. At least the Shido has a handy tester button to see if it has charge.

c3f92c2a-9e89-479f-a3f2-42db564c63e6_zpsmuztom5t.jpg

Just bear in mind if you ever need to use an Optimate type battery maintainer, you need one that will work on Lithium Ion, most don't ;)

Lithium Ion batteries also suffer from the cold more than your standard AGM or Lead type batteries so keep it in a warm environment and it will be fine :)

Indeed, mine isn't either it's a 4. That's why I'll keep the spare.

(Thanks for mentioning it)

Last edited:
Interested to see how you get on Alex. I was tempted to get a li battery but wussed out. They are so much lighter, I think you can get them as little as 500g ish?

Lithium Batteries

I've used Shorai LFX batteries in the past and they have been excellent. I never had to charge them and I left them unattended over several winters without issue. Lithium alternatives are just so much better than OEM batteries, and whilst expensive, the weight savings alone are well worth the extra cost.

OEM Battery

The 2015 model uses a Yuasa YTZ7S MF OEM battery which apparently is a lighter version than that used on previous S1000RR models. It's certainly not as light as a Lithium battery though.

By 1KG's. What the fook have they removed on the 14 battery??

Back