NEEE NAAWWW NEEE NAAAW....(shit !) "can I have a wee look at that Camera Son"

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
NEEE NAAWWW NEEE NAAAW....(shit !) "can I have a wee look at that Camera Son"

Soooooooooooooo.... the question remains, what is the position if your pulled and the cops want a look at your Cam, I dare say if it doesn't have a screen then it's no dice, but can they legally seize it or ensure you demonstrate the contents...

Legal standpoint would be interesting to know

Re: NEEE NAAWWW NEEE NAAAW....(shit !) "can I have a wee look at that Camera Son"

Section 19 PACE allows a constable to seize anything as evidence of an offence if that item is evidence of the offence and is likely to be concealed, lost, altered, damaged or destroyed.

Re: NEEE NAAWWW NEEE NAAAW....(shit !) "can I have a wee look at that Camera Son"

So if the constable believes you have been riding recklessly and is investigating that offence and the camera has recorded it....goodbye camera.

shite, I better watch what I am doing in the future, no more top speed runs with gopro.....:culpability:

Certainly not with the speedo visible anyway :)

I did get caught speeding on the Dalmally road towards the green welly, 102mph in a 60 limit had my gopro on the bike at the time (not showing speedo) traffic cops looked at it but never mentioned it at all, they did have me bang to rights. 3 month ban 400 quid fine.

I think they are only going to bother looking at it or seizing it is if you give them cause to need to, I suspect if you are banged to rights then there will be enough compelling evidence from their video and speed calibrated system to drag you over the coals if needed.

My understanding of things I have read is that they are likely to use the camera to support a prosecution in cases like reckless or dangerous riding but the actual speed unless it shows the speedo would be extremely difficult to use against the rider on the basis that it isn't a calibrated unit but even that argument I suspect could be pulled apart by a prosecution, it's not something I would want to waste money arguing about :D

I don't actually put my camera where it can be seen straight away and generally have it pointing backwards too :D

You have a good few points there Mick, definitely agree that they can use it to prosecute dangerous or reckless riding, there have been a few cases where people have posted videos on youtube and been done , one guy was even given jail time!

Hi Stuart, that is exactly where they got me and my Bro, we both got the same punishment, yip oban sherif court hell of a trek to get a ban! the judge was an old wanker didn't like bikers speeding on his roads etc, we got lucky the traffics gave us a straight speeding charge no dangerous driving or anything and they also noted that there was zero traffic on the road , dry sunny conditions etc , think that went in our favour just

Last edited:

Today for the first time I recorded a journey on my GS with the newly installed bullet cam. I must say I honestly rode safer and calmer than normal, which was pleasant. Kept thinking about the 'evidence'. I will not be putting a cam on the HP4 for sure:). (Unless it's a trackday).

it's always good to have a bit of what if in the back of your mind, particularly when video evidence is involved, plus you get to record all the smidsy out there, you should get a mike and start vlogging soof.....

If you look at the air intake on the bike you can see where I mount my Gopro, captures the road very well and fantastic sound off the engine. I never ever have it pointing at the speedo. There are other mountings on the bike for a variety of angles but over the mountain riding this one is the best. Good luck with the upcoming court cases guys.

JimmyMac

cracking pic Jimmy, nice mounting point ,i will need to try that out me thinks , good luck Stuart let us know how u get on.

How did you secure the GoPro, Surely not just sticky tape?
I did look at puting mine there but thought it would come off on the first ride.
Didnt fancy screwing it into the plastic.

The sticky pads on the proper attachments are surprisingly strong, I haven't had one even come close to coming off but I still attach a tether to it so at least it's tied to the bike if it did for some bizarre reason come off.

Thanks, I'll look again and see where I can also tether.
My friend has lost 2 go pros both within half an hour of buying them so I wasn't keen to just use the sticky pad. Tethering is a must lol

Hi loupe, yes I just used the 3m sticky pad that comes with it. I used a hairdryer to warm up the area to be stuck to and also heated the pad the same way, then just pressed hard together. It's been there since I bought the bike new 2 and a half years ago, never waviered.
However I did lose a Gopro a couple of months ago riding down from Inverness in freezing fog on my GS, I had been in a hurry and fitted it without heating it or leaving it 24hrs as suggested by 3m. The GS does vibrate a lot due to the Pistons moving from left to right compared to the HP and simply peeled off, it was mounted to the vertical screen rather than a more horizontal area where this one is. Wunderlich now make a beautiful mount specifically for the GS as it has happened to a few riders. On a happier note I went back in the car looking for it and found it about 6 miles from my house, very lucky!!

Loupe, there is room behind the place where mines is mounted for the tether but it's a fiddle to tie on.

JimmyMac

Last edited:

cracking pic Jimmy, nice mounting point ,i will need to try that out me thinks , good luck Stuart let us know how u get on.

Thanks for that mate....I'll let you know...... Guess we all drive hard the time and place was right....6pm. Roads really quiet...excellent viz... Can happen to anyone I guess...normally its me in front... Nightmare.....

By the way cheers everyone for the camera advice...put the header in as a bit of a joke...I knew it would grab attention

Hi loupe, yes I just used the 3m sticky pad that comes with it. I used a hairdryer to warm up the area to be stuck to and also heated the pad the same way, then just pressed hard together. It's been there since I bought the bike new 2 and a half years ago, never waviered.
However I did lose a Gopro a couple of months ago riding down from Inverness in freezing fog on my GS, I had been in a hurry and fitted it without heating it or leaving it 24hrs as suggested by 3m. The GS does vibrate a lot due to the Pistons moving from left to right compared to the HP and simply peeled off, it was mounted to the vertical screen rather than a more horizontal area where this one is. Wunderlich now make a beautiful mount specifically for the GS as it has happened to a few riders. On a happier note I went back in the car looking for it and found it about 6 miles from my house, very lucky!!

Loupe, there is room behind the place where mines is mounted for the tether but it's a fiddle to tie on.

JimmyMac

Thanks Jimmy I'll have a look at the tethering point.
Freezing and fog in Inverness? Must have been The height of summer.

Last edited:

Good luck with the case. I`m guessing you have got representation or have got some advice from Pepipoo?

Back