2d Fork sensor

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
Can someone who has one fitted confirm if fitting one of these restricts the amount of turn available. I have to cut through London traffic and the bike already has a limited turn, so restricting it further might make this a non starter for me

2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

Yes; particularly when you fit the supplied steering lock stops required to protect the sensor from potential damage.

Thanks Ry. Had Darren from MCT (who set your bike up) at our advanced group last night and spoke to him about getting mine set up. He said that if I can afford it the 2d is a good idea as you can separate compression and rebound which the bike works better with. Seen conflicting info on the net about impacting the lock stop. Seems like a shit design to me, but that is countered by it being aimed at track users where this wouldn't matter. Should really have been standard though and the sensor part of the internals to allow separate compression and rebound.

Using it without the supplied lock stops is definitely not recommended as the potentiometer is very delicate. The lock stops are required to stop full steering lock being applied in order to protect the sensor from damage. Personally I would be reluctant to use the sensor without the lock stops fitted. That said my S1000RR is mostly used on trackdays so it is not an issue. Ultimately the 2D sensor is a race part not designed for road use however on track and for datalogging purposes it is ideal. Whether BMW incorporate one into future DDC systems remains to be seen; but I suspect the cost would most likely be passed onto the consumer as the sensors are not cheap.

For road use only it is not required as the standard DDC damping settings are more than sufficient. For track and race use it is hugely beneficial.

Re: 2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

As with all suspension modifications,for track use,it's only beneficial if you start pushing the limits.The standard suspension is perfectly competent for most.

I have one fitted to mine, it can be fitted without the lock stops, mine is.

You would need to remove some material from the plastic radiator cowling on the left top of the radiator, I also have a radiator guard (Evo Tech) which needs some material removed, but if you are careful, it can be done.

I have full lock with mine fitted.

I used a round file to remove the above material to make room for full lock.

I guess if you were to have a full on tankslapper, it may damage the sensor, but I fitted an Ohlins steering damper and that should prevent it happening.

I have one fitted to mine, it can be fitted without the lock stops, mine is.

You would need to remove some material from the plastic radiator cowling on the left top of the radiator, I also have a radiator guard (Evo Tech) which needs some material removed, but if you are careful, it can be done.

I have full lock with mine fitted.

I used a round file to remove the above material to make room for full lock.

I guess if you were to have a full on tankslapper, it may damage the sensor, but I fitted an Ohlins steering damper and that should prevent it happening.
As above have had 2d sensor fitted to my road bike since may, if fitted with care no restriction in lock and sensor does not touch anywhere and you can still lock steering . It makes a noticeable difference. I run standard steering damper.

You may struggle to find one much cheaper as alpha Racing's 2D pricing is quite competitive. You could try contacting 2D's UK distributor, Datron Technology, who will be able to source one for you. Likewise Prime Factors Racing will be able to get one directly from alpha Racing thereby avoiding European shipping costs. Finally, you could try Cross Country Cycle BMW in the USA; but you may be liable for customs and import duty. I would however still advocate using the supplied lock stops in order to protect the sensor as ultimately you are fitting a delicate race potentiometer to a road bike.

Latest posts

Back