2015 Engine Replacement

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zox

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been following this forum ever since I pre-ordered my 2015 S1000RR back in December 2014. I find the forum very helpful so I have finally decided to sign up and share my story with you in my very first post.

As I mentioned above I pre-ordered my 2015 S1000RR in December 2014 from a local BMW dealer (I am from Australia), the bike was delivered to me in February 2015, i absolutely loved the bike and as soon as I picked it up I was determined to rack up the kms as quickly as possible so i can get the first service out of the way and remove the engine limiter.

After couple of weeks I took the bike back to the BMW dealer and they performed the first service and limiter was removed, some months passed and I was enjoying the bike more and more, by this stage I had done couple of thousand kilometers on the bike and found the bike loosened up nicely and was running really good, basically all was well until couple of weeks ago....:dispirited:

On the way to work one morning after (15kms into my 35km trip) I noticed that the engine all of a sudden started sounding "different", it had a louder more lumpy tone...at this stage I didn't think much of it as performance was not affected. I got to work, parked and spent 15 minutes inspecting the bike, I couldn't see any leaks or hear any weird knocks and it was idling normally, i turned it off and on couple of times without issues. Ah well, I thought, I will see how it goes on the way home...

As I took off home that afternoon within the first couple of km's I again noticed that the engine was definitely sounding louder then usual and started running "rough", on top of that I noticed that the power delivery was not as smooth and the whole bike started vibrating when I tried to accelerate, I decided that I would ride straight to the BMW dealer that I bought it from as it was about 10km's away and get them to take a look at it, by the time I got to the dealer the bike was really struggling. The mechanic took a look at it straight away and as I expected advised that I will need to leave the bike with them so they can investigate further, as this was Friday they provided me with a loan bike and I left.

The following week I got a call from the lead mechanic and he advised that they ran the compression tests on the engine and that the numbers were not good, they then took the head off and found that there was a lot of internal damage (one of the intake valves was stuck wide open and 3rd piston had been severely damaged among other things)....the engine had only done 3500 km's!! :mad:

After couple of more calls from the dealer it was confirmed that the engine is not repairable and will need to be replaced.....brand new one has been ordered by the dealer and will take 3 weeks to arrive from Germany plus another couple of days to fit and test so I am looking at least a month before I get the bike back.

Anyone heard of this happening to other RR riders?

Wow.... highly unusual for a dropped valve and subsequent and inevitable piston damage.... componemt failure is the most likely reason mate youve just been unlucky I reckon..... what about a courtesy bike.... 1 montbs a long time without wheels..

Last edited:
Yeah very unlucky mate, nobody I spoke to so far has heard of this happening on a new engine.....about the courtesy bike.....to be honest not really pleased with the dealer, they initially offered me one to get home and use but advised me to bring it back couple of days later when they called me with the update on my bike (apparently they were "short" on bikes)....i took it back and am still waiting on one to become available.

your entitled to a new bike mate, never mind an engine !! Phone BMW customer services they will supply you with a courtesy bike directly, I'm sure it's no different there than in the UK ?

I have to agree i would have thought the least they would do was offer a courtesy bike no arguments..Good luck

Ditto above.... BM customer service.... dealer sounds like he needs a good hiding... tell him the lads are coming over unless he gets his act together....

Back