Heated grips

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to admit, not very impressed with the heated grips on the mk3 I've used an IR temp gauge and it showing that both grips are sitting at 34*C at idle at the top setting, should they be warmer than this or is this normal I've never had them on previous bikes so not sure what to expect.!!

Doesn't sound very hot to me. Its rare to have them on the max setting because they get too hot, suggest you get the dealer to check them.

Both my current bikes run with a pretty even current. My old F800 definitely ran a bit different L vs R, got it adjusted a couple of times. The RR grips have never been as powerful as my tourer, tecs at dealer told me that is by design

Grips on my GSA much warmer than both the RR's I've owned, I don't see why the RR's shouldn't be warmer than they are but they're miles better than nothing

Tourer grips are warmer because they have some device (current booster of some sort) not present on the RR that made sure they're nice and toasty. I've ridden in -9 and was happy with level 2 heat for a bit...even then you had to turn down to level 1 after a while. The RR doesn't have the device, and I think we can all accept that you are unlikely to use the bike in extreme conditions (I know some brave souls/nutters on the forum use the RR all year round..), so why have the weight/extra load on the electrics. I find that the RR's level 1 is barely noticeable, so it's either full on or off for me.

I find my heated grips on the 2015 warm but no more I travelled 18 miles to Matlock on Sunday with them on and my hands where cold when I arrived which is surely not right.

I find my heated grips on the 2015 warm but no more I travelled 18 miles to Matlock on Sunday with them on and my hands where cold when I arrived which is surely not right.

Have they started charging for parking up for a brew yet?!

The grips on my hp4 are plenty warm enough on the low setting. Maybe I've got naturally hot hands lol.

My 15 RR grips are too warm for me on their high setting..

The grips on my hp4 are plenty warm enough on the low setting. Maybe I've got naturally hot hands lol.

I bought a IR heat gun thing last year and haven't tried it out yet Soof... Is there certain temp range the grips should be..that'd be a good starting point for checking...my l h grip is cooler than my r h for sure. Knowing the accepted range would be good.

sent from Stuart's tablet

I have never measured the temp of my grips TBH, I just know that they are very warm and toasty on the low setting, almost unrideable on the high setting. I thought they were all like that, every BMW bike I have owned (4 so far) has been that way.

Mine not like that either, my current GSA has much warmer grips than my previous GSA or either of my RR's.

Last edited:
I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask the question regarding temp, but I'm guessing no one will be able to give me an answer, but hopefully they can contact the mothership and find out.!

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask the question regarding temp, but I'm guessing no one will be able to give me an answer, but hopefully they can contact the mothership and find out.!

Sounds good DC. Mibe you can keep us in the loop..be interested to know

sent from Stuart's tablet

I dropped in around 2pm on the day as I was in the area, been going there since I was 16, which is a while.... lets hope common sense prevails, there's no other reason to go there apart from looking at the bikes!

the grips on my 15 are bloody useless! :( ...luke warm at best. I raised the issue with my dealer so they tested them and reported no issues??! :-/ ....Not sure if these grips are the same throughout the BMW range of bikes but i've tried grips on a GS and my mates 1600 and both got super hot .....but...I also took out an XR and the grips on that were useless! ....hmmmmm ....i seem to remember reading something in the 15RR manual about the bike automatically cutting power to the grips when current is required elsewhere?? ...whatever that means?? Any ideas? Might have to fit a pair of Oxford grips next winter?! :-/

Back