Thread: Hp4 fork seal replacement

Hp4 fork seal replacement

Hi all
    I have a leaking fork seal on the fork with the DDC in, has anyone stripped a fork to change the seal and if yes is there anything special about the dismantling given the electrical connection on the top of the fork( I have done ohlins forks etc before)

Riding
    HP4 Carbon Pink

Re: Hp4 fork seal replacement

Hi Mikey, is your bike not still under warranty? I know it's a daft question, but I once bought a GS that needed work done to it and I was prepared to pay and the garage told me the bike had a two year warranty. You can also extend the HP4 warranty for around 350 if it's within the two year period. I don't mind doing a bit of spannering on boxers but the HP4 is way outside my comfort zone.
    All the best.

JimmyMac

Jimmymac
    thanks for the reply but I think I have now sorted it, I stripped the fork and it has a factory pressurised cartridge with a separate oil chamber around the fork leg to keep the slider lubricated, and it was this oil not the damping oil that that was leaking from the seal , dismantling was fairly easy but I wouldn't touch the factory cartridge,
    i also emailed Dave moss the suspension tuning guy and he recommended 7w oil and An air gap of 100mm for track use or 120mm for road use and the seal is a standard s1000rr seal,
    should have the oil and seal tomorrow and should be back on the road for the weekend.

i will try to upload some pictures for future reference

so if you have a hp4 with an small fork oil seal leak providing it's not the cartridge it won't really affect the damping an it's a fairly straight forward job to change

mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeyjf For This Useful Post:

Riding
    HP4 Carbon Pink

Glad you found it out so easy Mike, the thought of opening up my fork would make me shit myself. Lol
    Maybe just the fear of the unknown with me as I can strip a GS down to nothing and rebuild it confidently but I've extended the warranty on my HP4 so I never have to do it to that. Although I have found it puts you at risk if the dealer is going to scam you on consumables.
    look forward to the photos, everyday is a schoolday.

Cheers JimmyMac

Riding
    2014 HP4

Hi Mickeyjf.
    My HP4 has never had a fork oil change. I didnt want to full the fork out because of the DDC system. But thanks to you I can finally change it with no worries. Thanks for this
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyjf View Post
    Jimmymac
    thanks for the reply but I think I have now sorted it, I stripped the fork and it has a factory pressurised cartridge with a separate oil chamber around the fork leg to keep the slider lubricated, and it was this oil not the damping oil that that was leaking from the seal , dismantling was fairly easy but I wouldn't touch the factory cartridge,
    i also emailed Dave moss the suspension tuning guy and he recommended 7w oil and An air gap of 100mm for track use or 120mm for road use and the seal is a standard s1000rr seal,
    should have the oil and seal tomorrow and should be back on the road for the weekend.

i will try to upload some pictures for future reference

so if you have a hp4 with an small fork oil seal leak providing it's not the cartridge it won't really affect the damping an it's a fairly straight forward job to change

mike

I asked Dave Moss a similar question but got a different advice:

Congrats on your new bike! Makesure it has the rebound separator for the forks.
    Please use the BMW fork and shockoil as it is engineered for the DDC system.
    Oil level in the forks for thetrack would be 110-100mm.
    Last edited by alex; 15th February 2018 at 10:12 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterRS For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

It's not that different?

110-100mm air gap (I run 100). Also this thread was from 2.5years ago...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex For This Useful Post: