Review: HJC RPHA 10+ Ghost

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted a bunch of information on this helmet in another persons thread, but thought I'd do a proper review after using it in most conditions.

HJC RPHA 10+ Lorenzo Ghost - Medium

Previous lid is a small shell XR1100 Shoei, so comparing to that. I find that my head fits; Shoei, Shark, Schuberth and HJC.

Pro's
  • 40grams lighter fully fitted with chin curtain etc
  • Less buffeting from the airflow, inside around the mouth (chin curtain definitly working)
  • Visibility when dry.
  • Visor fitting and locking system, I prefer the HIC system
  • You can leave the visor open just a crack when on a slow commute, for a welcome breeze and not a wind whistle/eyeball blasting effect that I got in the Shoei.
  • DEAL: ?299 from SportsBikeShop, couldn't justify any other alternative.

Same
  • Pinlock visors, always a god send, just lacking much of a variety.
  • Comfort/padding - different but equally good.

Con's
  • Lacks the ear cutouts of the shoei, this is probably why it's quieter, but I spend longer putting it on as I have to unfold my ears by shoving a digit through the visor apature each time.
  • Noise. So I thought it was quieter at first but it turns out that's just at slow speeds (because of the above lack of cutout). At speed I could bearly hear my custom moulded earphones, at the same volume they used to be used at in the previous lid. It's a deeply uncomfortable noise with the earphones in. It's much better with standard foam type earplugs. I don't think the earphones are that back but they are certainly not able to block the sound like the plugs. And it wasn't THIS bad with the Shoei. I fear with no ear protection at speed you'd be deaf after 1 long motorway ride.
  • Wet Performance: Got soaked on my commute yesterday. Visor steamed up with pinlock fitted. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt as I'd swapped the pinlock that morning, and maybe it hadn't sealed 100% but either way, having to open the visor in a downpour is a fecker. I will make a point of retesting with the breath guard in, however I find them a little claustraphobic. Note this issue was in stop/start London commuting.

I think it's worth ?300 but no more. The NXR would be a good alternative at this price point and head shape! I can't use Arai/AGV alternatives. I will potentially replace the visors for the XR1100 and use that in the colder wetter months if the wet performance is not improved with the breath guard.

2015-08-052020.35.18_zpsbdmgadzc.jpg

2015-08-052020.35.36_zps7n7alxep.jpg

2015-08-052020.36.11_zpshac66fte.jpg

f7ab5506-1830-498e-a349-31c1064bacfb_zps7bvi2juw.jpg

2015-08-052020.35.26_zpsvcjg7ueu.jpg

Apparently some Spanish bloke called Lorenzo also had problems with the visor of his HJC misting up in the wet.

Yeah - he's had it twice now. Lin Jarvis was apparently livid after the first time..so god knows what he's like now! Said words to the effect of if you're going to use non-premium brands to chase $$$'s then they'd better be up to the job! Have a feeling HJC will be getting a new helmet designed and made in short order if they are to retain #99.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago, Ben Spies rep. thinking if its its good enough for him its good enough for me! Unfortunately it turned out to be rather inferior to my previous Arais for all the reasons mentioned above and I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place and go for a perfectly fitting premium helmet - a trip up to Sportsbike shop and much trying on of helmets saw me come away with a very excellent Shark Race pro carbon

hey Alex, i've got a brand new RPHA 10+ clear visor & pinlock (unused) if you want it? I've swapped to an NXR so won't be needing it ;)

Guys, if Alex doesn't want it then it's up for grabs!

lol I've ended up with 3 clear visors and a tinted one + pinlock's for all. My first lid had to go back cause the chin guard wouldn't fit. Kept all the gubbins and told them to not send them with the new one!

Anyway - thanks but I can't say I need them :)

Well I've had my RPHA 10+ for 2 days and I find it far superior to my Arai chaser V. It's much lighter, quiter and it doesn't mist up as much. I found the Arai very overrated. The acid test will be tomorrow mornings 40 mile commute across the Brecon Beacons, however I can't see my view changing. Top helmet!

Glad it's working for you. I've no intention of not using mine - so far. It's a good helmet, I possibly need to change some habits in my usage to optimise things :)

hey Alex, i've got a brand new RPHA 10+ clear visor & pinlock (unused) if you want it? I've swapped to an NXR so won't be needing it ;)

Guys, if Alex doesn't want it then it's up for grabs!
Still got this if anyone wants it? ;)

Back