S1000RR 2015 Seat Cowl Fitting Mod

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wave

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm still running in my new 2015, simply can't wait for the limiter to be removed next Friday. The bike is great - fast even when limited.

Took a bit of getting used to as I came over from Blades, which I've ridden for years....had an 06, an 07, an 08, and then my last 09 HRC. Although the S1K has and similar feeling geometry, its very different, but I absolutely love it already! Roomy, fast, smooth...and loads of technogadgets :)

Suspension setup was fun, couldnt set up the rear sag easily but I'm now on +2 front and rear, feels great.

One area I didn't like was the rear seat fitting, so one of first mods was to see what I could do about it. Turns out that it's pretty simple to get the cowl to fit well.

You need a straight price of plastic extrusion, 30mm x 5mm, 1 meter lengths are available in white from B&Q. Cut two 52mm rectangles, and drill holes in these 12mm from one end.

1. Remove the cowl
2. Remove the two screws holding the metal hinge, and remove the hinge bracket and the two washers
3. Fit the two plastic rectangles in place of the bracket using the existing screws, so that they form two prongs that slip into the tail body, under the lip.

Job done! Refit the cowl, it's now firmly in place with no unsightly gap!

I'll pop up some photos if I can work out how to do it if and anybodies interested.

Cheers
Richie

Here?s what it looks like after the adjustment:
attachment.php

And here's what I did:
~

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 221
And no gap. The white you can see is a weather strip I stuck to the bottom of the cowl to make a seal, seems to work well as a paint saver as well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 216
It was so easy & simple to do, I'm wondering why BMW didn't do something like this....maybe the gap in the cowl actually is there to wick away heat from the seat area, what do you guys think?

Just bougjt a new one of these and for the money the fit is shocking......Took the washers out to slightly improve but BMW need to send their designers to Aprilia because their panel fit/design on RSV4 is way better.

Rear Seat Cowl

The rear seat cowl isn't designed to fit flush with the tail fairing. The gap is there to allow you to fit the HP Race Datalogger externally.

Re: Rear Seat Cowl

The rear seat cowl isn't designed to fit flush with the tail fairing. The gap is there to allow you to fit the HP Race Datalogger externally.

That's as maybe but it should still fit better. Then R1M has similar idea yes? But with datalogger it still looks as it should, i.e Right.

And no gap. The white you can see is a weather strip I stuck to the bottom of the cowl to make a seal, seems to work well as a paint saver as well.

Hi what size was the seal and is it rubber or foam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took your info on board and just fitted my seat cowl and added some motografix stickers!
51dcead7e9312ccefdc3b944f5dfb618.jpg

It's got self adhesive foam between the cowl and fairing so air can still escape
Didn't realise it was for that purpose! Maybe I'll put the pillion seat back on as I can't see that huge gap with that cowl on

Those vents people put indicators in were solely aero/styling, not cooling.

I also feel that, for the money, BMW should have made a better fitting solution if they wanted to make sure the battery could vent.

I've owned lots of sports bikes and has cowls on them yet never had to have a gap for that purpose

Next issue I seem to have is a couple of the stickers won't stick to the fairing on the edges!
Any advice on how to solve this?

Next issue I seem to have is a couple of the stickers won't stick to the fairing on the edges!
Any advice on how to solve this?

When applying double sided foam adhesive tape for car number plates or thick stickers like the Motografix kits and tank pads, firstly make sure the panel is clean and any waxes or polishes have been removed. It is good practice to use a hair dryer to heat up the panel that will be receiving the sticker and also heat up the sticker/tank pad itself. This causes the adhesive to be more maliable to go around curved panels, more tacky for application and once cured has a higher bond strength.

I use any hair dryer but I know big StuartB swears by his Vidal Sasson, cause he's worth it, lol.:playful:

You can use it on the edges Moggy and then just hold the sticker down for 20 seconds or so to make it stick, careful of the heat though, the Motografix decals are excellent but can retain heat for a while, so don't burn your hands.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Haha... this reminds me.. Salon Services owe me a hairdryer. I bought a Gixxer 1100 from Mickey Oates Glasgow in 1988...stunning bike in Dream Machine limited edition Black and Gold, previously documented on here...anyhow Salon Services who were next door to the bike shop phoned me and asked if they could use it in a model photoshoot..in return I'd get a top of the range hairdryer....which I never received... did they know something that I never lol..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hahaha, surprised you've no given them a bad revue on trip advisor.....

Just look at the price of the new Dyson Supersonic hairdryer Stu, ?299 or you can get the Limited Edition for ?349. Think how much you've saved over the years compared to the hairy amongst us.

Your lucky that your head suits your haircut. When I had my RAF, Police obligatory nazi cut, I realised that my head is the shape of a Doc Martin shoe box. So now its hidden under under a mane of thick hair to add to my Adonis good looks.

Get down to that Salon and demand a new Dyson, I'll trade you a set of Lightech chain adjusters for it, lol.

JimmyMac

Back