HP4 wheelie control

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have recently got a HP4 and ride almost always in Sport mode on the roads. I have never wheelied, always too scared of binning it. I have experienced what seems like a lot of front wheel lift when giving it the beans in low gears, I quickly roll off, petrified, and then roll back on more gently. I have played with launch control twice, once the front stayed flat, the second time it came way up, again petrifying.

My question - can I rely on the electrics to keep the nose from going too high in Sport and in Launch control? The manual doesnt explicitly say. (I dont mind the front lifting, its the thought of the disastrous potential that worries me :) )

Thanks for some real world experience!

On mine (not HP4) you can pin the throttle in sport mode and it will come up x amount and then the bike will bring it back down again. In race it does the same thing but lets it go a little higher and longer and brings it back down.

Have a practise somewhere safe and offroad in first gear doing slow power wheelies and get a feel for it. The power of our bikes means they will happily bring the front up all day long, and isn't something to fear.

The electronic stability control system will stop the bike wheelies going too high depending on the mode you are in. Sport is the tamest and you'll only get a small amount of wheelie before the TC reduces acceleration to bring the front back down. In race mode it will allow more lift. Launch control will not affect the above.

if you find it scary I would recommend not wheeling at least until you can find somewhere safe to experiment.

i have an hp4 and also don't like the sensation of the front lifting, although I have now got used to it on track days it's fairly tame. In terms of acceleration / performance the optimium wheelie is only slightly off the surface so that's why the bike is set up to behave as it does.

hope that helps.

Lets not kid ourselves, if you drop the clutch at max revs it will somersault lol

LMAO!!! Yep, Ill try to avoid that so! :-D

Thanks everyone, those viewpoints really help! Im not scared of falling off at relatively low speeds, I just dont want to bin the bike!

Sorry, but you have an HP4 and ride everywhere in Sports mode?? - man up dude - select Race mode and dont go back.

My 2013 (non-hp4) lets me pin the throttle in Race mode, and so far has always brought the front wheel back down before i've ended up on my back.

Sorry, but you have an HP4 and ride everywhere in Sports mode?? - man up dude - select Race mode and dont go back.

My 2013 (non-hp4) lets me pin the throttle in Race mode, and so far has always brought the front wheel back down before i've ended up on my back.

I've only had it a a month or two and havent ridden it much yet due to work (and an uninsured Lithuanian dude pulling out in front of me and helping me drive into his drivers door on my 2nd spin on the bike :-D ).
And youre bang on, I totally need to man up and make the most of it, but I dont need to bin it without doing a little research either, thanks for the help Joe!

I stick with sports mode for a lot of my public road riding or if I have some luggage. The ddc and suspension is softer which gives a better ride compared to race mode on non perfect surfaces.

Hi Fraser, I am no riding god but I trust the engineers behind the scenes to keep me safe on the road. I have never done a massive wheelie height wise, but when accelerating hard in race mode the front has lifted and I have just kept the throttle wide open. I can only describe it as glorious, the computer seems to bring it down so gently its like bringing the front end down into syrup, it is sooooooo smooth. Find a safe place to try it and trust the electronics. I have never tried the launch control but from what I understand the Slick Key must be inserted which I think will allow big wheelies. I recently had the ABS Pro upgrade and it does make a noticeable difference too, I love my bikes and the safer they are the better cause it means I can enjoy them tomorrow and the next day. Don't be goaded into riding outside your comfort zone, when people see you rocking around on your shiny bike they don't know if you are enjoying Rain mode or working hard to keep it on the tarmac in Slick, but you will look just as good.
Soofsayer is bang on about the softer ride in Sport.

JimmyMac

I have a hp4 and mine will come up easy in slick mode and race mode, if you scared of whelie keep it in sport and you can rely on the anti whelie as it won't lift, AWESOME bikes mate you made the right choice getting one i love mine

Here's my tuppence worth , I've a 15 which is always in race. I've recently done a track day at Knockhill (which Jimmy Mac was at) and on the start/finish straight at the line I felt the front getting light. I'm no riding God either and it was my first time on track but I kept it pinned and everything was cool. Don't know how high it came up but wouldn't think it was much with no issues at all.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the insight and experience it really does give me more confidence to play about. I promise to try harder! :)

In race mode

It does come up higher but generally I pin it and have not yet looped it :biggrin-new:

a6bbe2e79bf67f9cd8ed97d7e864170b_zps47mpd61h.jpg

In MotoGP I'm pretty sure they keep turning/leaning the bike to keep the nose down. Can't remember the physics there...but that's why they veer across the straight at places like Austin.

Hi Kev, just wondered if any other settings need to be sorted in order to get the front lifting but not flipping , ?? Rgds Gaz

Back