2015 S1000rr - Right Turn Assist Pro!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
Hi folks...so my new bike veers to the right! :disturbed:....i've read of other people having this issue and apparently it can be caused by the clutch cable catching on the handlebars/fairing. I've just put the bike in for it's 600mile service and mentioned the issue (i even gave them links to a video solution and forum discussion about this known issue) ....they said they've never heard of this issue and apparently two of the dealer's staff took the bike out and said it's perfect with no veering whatsoever??! WTF?? ....so i get back on the bike and it's still blatantly pulling to the right! Especially obvious whilst in cruise control....bike needs a constant (light) push on the left handlebar to keep the bike running in a straight line.

So, questions to you guys:

1. Do BMW think i'm stupid and their pretending there's nothing wrong with the bike?
2. Are their staff not capable of recognising a simple blatant problem?
3. Where do i go from here to get this resolved?

If this is indeed due to the clutch cable being too long/catching then surely it's a simple fix?? I guess i firstly need to somehow prove to my dealer that the issue exists??!

FYI...here's the video link i sent to them along with an in depth forum convo. Any help or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated?! Anyone else had this issue with a 2015 model and managed to resolve (or not)? Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37rCzKx6JQ&feature=youtu.be

p.s. I was watching TT SuperStock race last night on TV and noticed that Guy Martin (2015 bike?) has re-routed his clutch cable out of the plastic handlebar loop....to avoid this same issue maybe?? Hmmmm

If you go on the BMW S1000rr forum based out of the US , you will see this issue has been gone over and over. A shorter , more compliant, less stiff cable is the cure. Motion pro can fabricate one for you if you would like to pay for it. Otherwise BMW is going to take their ever so slow time producing one for all 2015's. This is the corroded sump , faulty handlebar switches , connecting rod recall , crankshaft revision , chain recall , crankcase vent , vertical down sensor , and fuel tank spigot revision all over again. They are aware of the problem because many PUMA cases opened and they act like they are unaware to slow the panic while they retool the needed fix and part. I love this bike but they do have their issues as does all mass produced product that never seems to get enough product R&D and things don't present themselves until the general public gets to use them in real life conditions.

p.s. I was watching TT SuperStock race last night on TV and noticed that Guy Martin (2015 bike?) has re-routed his clutch cable out of the plastic handlebar loop....to avoid this same issue maybe?? Hmmmm

Haha I noticed that too! I remember thinking "that's not stock!!". Then thinking "I'm such a geek for noticing that" Lol

Have them take the bikenout with you following on a demo bike. Get them to ride no handed with cruise control on.

thanks Marky...yeah it was that same US forum info that i forwarded to my dealer (all 37 pages!) ....and yet they still refused to acknowledge that there may be an issue here! Is anyone aware of a fix for this issue using the original clutch cable, or would i need to buy one from Motion Pro? I've heard of several people solving this issue by just rerouting the original cable??.....i'd actually prefer if BMW fixed this for me rather than having to spend my own money after just dropping ?15k on what should be a perfectly working bike! I find it strange that 2 staff at my dealer took my bike out and both reported no problems whatsoever??!! I've asked them to follow me on a test ride next week so that they can see my bike veering blatantly to the right...next thing they'll be blaming my riding position! :-/ ....I know there has already been lots of chat about this issue on various forums so apologies if i'm going over old ground, but i'd love to hear from anyone that has managed to resolve without spending more money! Thanks guys ;)

Haha I noticed that too! I remember thinking "that's not stock!!". Then thinking "I'm such a geek for noticing that" Lol

Have them take the bikenout with you following on a demo bike. Get them to ride no handed with cruise control on.

Lol I noticed that too! It looked to me like they had simply hacksawed through the plastic to release the cable. Definitely looked like there was a split in the plastic.

cheers Joeman.....i guess it's down to us owners to get geeky seeing as BMW don't seem to notice anything wrong here! My dealer has agreed to a demo ride next week where we can both ride the bike. I told them that riding with cruise control is the most obvious way to notice the issue....they told me the bike ran totally straight when they rode it yesterday in this way?? I'd like to see that for myself...maybe they can teach me how to ride the bike straight?! haha.... Tbh i don't tend to ride the bike with no hands, but its just a clear way to demonstrate the problem. What bothers me more is I'm noticing (especially on long rides) that i'm having to apply constant (light) pressure to the left handlebar to ride in a straight line....just annoying! And also, the bike tips in to right hand bends very enthusiastically and then needs a little bit more encouragement in left handers.... not what i expect from a brand new ?15 bike and not something ive ever experienced with any other bike i've ridden! Will update here after the dealer group ride next week ;-) thanks again guys

Lol I noticed that too! It looked to me like they had simply hacksawed through the plastic to release the cable. Definitely looked like there was a split in the plastic.

Ahh yeah Jimmy eagle eyes!...i've just noticed that ;) ....not sure i fancy taking a hacksaw to my new bike just yet tho! :-/ haha

IF you wind your steering damper right down, does that make it more obvious?

I regularly ride my bike sat up no handed in cruise control and I havnt noticed my bike pulling

My RR (aka the lemon) does this if cruise control is on. It's actually quite difficult to keep it in a straight line with your leg muscles if you take your hands off the bars. I'll let you know if the new one does the same.

It's very noticeable Mac, drifts straight away.
Not that I do it very often, but on the odd occasion its nice to get a stretch while keeping the speed constant.

Sure mine pulls slightly to the left. Probs due to camber of the road..

Last edited:
Guy Martin probably done it because he would have had clip ons fitted. They are lower than the normal S1K bars so can put strain on the clutch cable when through the mounting eye, they also put a stretch on the brake master cylinder to pump hose because of this.

I did this with clip ons fitted to my bike but I "extended" the mounting eye with a cable tie.

I think Alpha Racing do a shorter cable.

6points for riding without due care if you are spotted! ��

are you sure? got anything that confirms this?
For the charges to stick they would have to prove that either your riding falls below the standard expected of a competent driver or that your riding doesn't show reasonable consideration for other persons using the road.
Riding no handed doesnt clearly satisfy either condition..

There have been car drivers banned for being caught driving with no hands on steering wheel, so I imagine that applies to bikers also.

^^
That was a clear p*ss take of the law, so a quick 'hands-off' the bars wouldn't be an offence, but riding with cruise control, sitting up with hands off bars trying to steer it with your body weight... :cower:

With regards to it pulling to the right, camber angles of various roads, tyre wear and rear wheel alignment have a play in this too.

Last edited:
Back