Suspension settings. Can't get to manual spec

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone adjusted or set theirs?
Had a mate help out with preload setting but could not get to factory settings without maxxing preloads.
Front - Before starting sag was about 8mm. Changed Preload to minimum. Sag was 11.8mm. Manual says should be 10-15 mm
Rear - before starting sag was 19mm. Changed preload to maximum. Sag was 17mm. Manual says should be 8-12 mm
also tried to do calib and just got Calib fail
All adjusted with ignition on
going to phone dealer tomorrow

hi gixerchuck i did some adjustments on mine and like you the preloads seem to max out regarding the calib i did mine on paddock satand and it failed i then tried it again just on side stand and it worked ok

Do you know what, I'm leaving my sus well alone. Compared to my Gixxer 1000 k8 the s1000 will run rings round it. Can't wait till it gets on the track.

Have tried it on paddock stand, side stand, engine running, engine off. The damping changes apply to the mode you are in only I.e. Sport only affects sport
Have now got user mode running with race Abs, dtc slick, ddc sport and engine race. Can adjust tc on the move like slick mode. Front damping +2 as preload minimum. Rear damping -2 as preload is maximum

Would suggest you calibrate ddc anyway as May mean sensor not working if it won't. Was told they will plug it in and connect to Germany for software update!

My preload was all to fuck as well I could not get near to factory suggestions especially on the rear I had to wind the preload right in and I was still out a few mil and the bike rode like shit so I just wound it back out again and left it like that

Im having similar problems with my 15, i can't get near the front rider sag settings of 10mm to 15mm, the closest iv got was 6mm, iv wound it all the way in and out with no joy, have you got to alter the ddc settings to achieve this ? i have a fork travel sensor fitted so can adjust all but surely the sag is altering spring tension ? any help would be well appreciated

Ha, they must have heavy arses and arms and shoulders made out of feathers, i can just get into there settings on the rear with it wound all the way in and can't get anywhere near the front when wound all the way out, the bike is off to valencia wednesday so i wanted to get it somewhere near, iv read somewhere that the oil needs to be warm as in ridden for a while first but i can't see that making that much difference

DDC Setup

BMW's recommended preload settings are based on a rider weight of 85 kgs. However, don't be overly concerned about the relationship between weight and suspension setup as different riding styles will affect it. Setting preload is always a good starting point but note that suspension setup is all about trial and error, particularly with DDC, so the best advice is to get out and experiment to find what works best for you. Just remember that each time you make adjustments to preload you will need to recalibrate the DDC system to take into account any changes that you have made.

Re: DDC Setup

Thanks, after around 10 attempts to get somewhere near bow's settings 10mm to 15mm the closest i got was 6mm and that was pulling up on the handlebars to start with the bolt wound all out to the stop, I'm 13 stone 9 which got to be pretty close to 85kgs. yes i did recalibrate the ddc but this did not help, is this common or a problem with the bike ? its on its way to valencia wednesday so i would like to have it sorted

DDC Setup

I originally set my preload as close to the factory recommendations as possible with the support of MCT Suspension. After that I spent an entire trackday just setting the bike up properly. It's been an evolving process with hundreds of laps completed on track and a fair bit of analysis of the data collected from the potentiometers. I'm now at a point where I have confidence to push the front end akin to what I would on an ?hlins or K-Tech shod bike as I've finally gotten used to the feel of the DDC system. I'm likely to have to restart the entire process again as my DDC parameters have now changed following the installation of the HP Racing Data Release. That and I have some physical changes planned to the DDC front fork internals prior to the start of the season.

So you think go with the 6mm sag at the front ? iv got the front would all out and the rear all in, seems out of balance if anything doesn't it ? iv fitted the front fork travel sensor which has opened up the ddc adjustments but the sag is not giving me a good start point or confidence tbh

DDC Setup

Personally I would save making any further adjustments until you are on track. You will soon know if you are experiencing issues with front and rear preload by the way the bike behaves under heavy acceleration and how it responds when turning in.

i might just try and set static sag then play about with the ddc, I'm just struggling to get my head around what bmw have done with the rider sag settings, theres 20yr old ?500 bikes out there that the rider sag could be set on

I couldn't set my sag anywhere near what the book says in 16 stone I wound my rear all the way in and it was still out so I just set things half way on the rear to give me a bit of movement and I think I only wound my front in 2-3 turns and set my bike at +2 all around - feels good enough for me

Back