BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alpha Racing

My alpha Racing order has arrived this week via Prime Factors Racing.

attachment.php

Last edited:
BMW HP Parts

Along with the final delivery of the year from BMW UK.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Parts

Now the winter modifications can begin ready for the 2016 trackday season. Updates to follow...

Parts

Fortunately I have absolutely no requirement for bar ends as I rarely ride on the road, if at all, and vibrations aren't an issue on track.

alpha Racing

I've finally found time this weekend to open my alpha Racing order. The first parts are easy to fit but everything else is somewhat more complicated and the BMW is now pretty much stripped down to its frame, engine and swingarm.

BMW HP Race Power Kit

I've started fitting my BMW HP Race Power Kit this week. I had originally intended on not fitting a full exhaust system but I had the opportunity to purchase a BMW HP Race Power Kit at a price too good to refuse. I'm not chasing tenths of a second on track anymore but this bike could benefit from losing a few additional kilos.

The whole HP system is made entirely from Titanium and the supplied muffler is identical to the Akrapovič HP Slip-On. When you open the box and unpack the exhaust the quality of production and materials used really stands out. The build quality is exceptional as to be expected from any Akrapovič product or item from the HP parts catalogue. Just lifting the individual pieces out of the box you can feel how lightweight this system is. Having weighed the Akrapovič HP and OEM exhaust systems for reference the weight comparison is below. Overall it has resulted in a significant 5.9 Kg weight saving.

Akrapovič HP Race Titanium Full System: 4.9 Kg
OEM Exhaust System: 10.8 Kg

The intent now is to fully fit the Akrapovič system as soon as possible and then get the bike back to BMW. The enabling code is linked to the S1000RR's chassis number and can only activated by a BMW dealership. Once the ECU is unlocked with the enabling code through their diagnostic system they can then load the HP racing data release and associated mapping for the Power Kit.

With the race data release BMW claim increases in terms of both power and torque across the entire rev range but particularly between 5,000-9,000 rpm and more top end so it's ideal for track use. I'm not expecting any huge gains as the standard exhaust system is fairly free flowing anyway as the catalysts are unrestrictive. Regardless it will be back on the Dyno in the New Year for a comparative power run. To be honest the bike presently makes 191.3 bhp which is more than enough and the exercise here is to save weight and not an unnecessary search for more power.

Installation isn't too difficult, particularly with the help of an electronic BMW factory manual, and downloadable instructions from the Akrapovič website. The process is just rather time consuming as the servo motors take a fair bit of effort and patience to remove. Helpfully, BMW supply protective caps for the exposed servo plugs, additional heat shielding for the lower fairing and new exhaust gaskets. I've also taken the opportunity to give the engine a thorough clean having been able to access freely behind the header pipes. I will post up a few pictures once I've finished fitting the HP kit then it will be a case of fitting the remaining parts from alpha Racing over the next couple of weeks. All in all I'm extremely happy with it.

P1020823_zpsrrmh1tmg.jpg

P1070003_zpsze0ipuex.jpg

P1070006_zpskexof0de.jpg

P1060997_zpsyjdeaw2j.jpg

Your spending a few pennies on that bike fair play to you you don't do things by half

Nicest bike on the forum and you're still adding bits to it! I enjoy reading your posts and the bike build.
Its very interesting to see what parts are available for my bike.
Ill probably do nothing to mine, but if I get the bug to track it next year it gives me a few ideas.

Just ride it as it is on the track Loupe. Like Neeves said about the bike "it's so easy to ride fast you could put it on the podium in a superstock race without getting a single spanner out"

BMW HP Race Power Kit

Them headers look beautiful

The whole Akrapovič system is beautifully made but best of all its so lightweight. I'm not one for aesthetics but with use the Titanium will start to blue which is always nice.

Your spending a few pennies on that bike fair play to you you don't do things by half

Nicest bike on the forum and you're still adding bits to it! I enjoy reading your posts and the bike build.
Its very interesting to see what parts are available for my bike.
Ill probably do nothing to mine, but if I get the bug to track it next year it gives me a few ideas.

Thanks for the comments. The bike is pretty much turning into a Superstock specification S1000RR but that will be as far as the modifications go. Everything that's been added since buying the bike has been with a track focus in mind as that's where it spends the majority of its time. That said it's an epic bike on track in standard trim but as soon as you sort out the ergonomics and suspension it's just fantastic.

Nice bit of kit, the exhaust.

With regards to the ECU, who's going to map it?

Got any confirmed days for Snetterton next year? I was thinking of starting the year there, as my folks are there...though I think wobbling around in the Inter group might be for me as there will be rust to knock off (me).

BMW HP Race Power Kit

The BMW HP Race Power Kit includes an enabling code linked to the bike's chassis number. Previous versions of the HP Race Power Kit included a HP Race ECU, but with the 2015 model this is no longer required. With the enabling code the dealership can then unlock the standard ECU and load the HP racing data release and mapping for the exhaust system.

The racing data release and mapping is specifically designed by BMW for the Akrapovič system supplied as part of the HP Race Power Kit. The engine management parameters (injection quantity, ignition timing etc) are all then configured for the exhaust system. As part of the kit the electronic rider aids, like ABS and DTC, are all reprogrammed specifically for race/track use as well.

Once I have fitted everything, and the bike has been back to BMW, I will probably be at Snetterton late February, or early March, dependent on the weather.

Err...yeah I know it comes with a map. But that's adjustable right, as it's for race and therefore tune. Are you settling for what it comes with not looking to have it checked?

BMW HP Race Power Kit

I'm going to see how I get on with the mapping and data release supplied with the HP Power Kit. If it needs adjusting Prime Factors Racing have offered to do a bit of work on it if needed.

If you are only tracking your bike then are you replacing the BMW engine case protectors and road fairings with more suitable alternatives?

Back