BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BMW HP Race Seat

P1060945_zpsm55d3hcc.jpg

P1060908_zpsa2pozhvi.jpg

P1060902_zps5d6wkwzq.jpg

That looks superb, I'm thinking its on the hard side if its a race seat?

Last edited:
BMW HP Race Seat

I purchased it from KFM-Motorr?der, along with the required mounting kit, as it was cheaper than buying directly from BMW. It's a track inspired seat which increases ride height and has a modified shape compared to the OEM seat which aids direction changes and helps keep your weight forward when accelerating. It's incredibly firm and I wouldn't go anywhere near the road with it fitted. The best part is the material used is like that of a traditional race seat and is really grippy.

BMW HP Race Seat

Not sure about the screw right in the middle lol

Once tightened the securing bolt becomes fully recessed within the seat and when wearing race leathers it's not noticeable at all. The useful thing is you simply unscrew the single bolt and the seat removes quickly for access to the battery and slick plug.

P1060909_zpsn7zrv52w.jpg

Trackday

Yesterday was my final trackday of 2015 after deciding at the very last minute to book onto No Limits' last UK event of the year at Snetterton. Suffice to say conditions were mild but extremely wet.

Due to arriving a little bit later than expected my sighting laps were completed on Metzeler Racetec RR tyres mounted on BST wheels. Any further time on track was quickly aborted as quite simply the Racetec RRs are rather unsurprisingly dreadful in the wet. With Arai wet visor and Dainese oversuit on, the easy decision was made to fit my HP Forged Wheels with Metzeler Racetec Rain tyres already mounted. All electronic settings were then placed in 'Rain' and compression and rebound (front and rear) were softened to take into account the wet conditions and the inevitable lack of heavy braking and aggressive acceleration. DTC was left at '0' in order to work out what a good baseline was for the wet tyres.

What followed was a very enjoyable, if particularly wet, trackday. Given the conditions there were very few people on track, and with a slightly higher than usual attrition rate, most of my laps were ridden in complete isolation. I've had some experience riding the S1000RR on a wet track this season but not like this. With rain tyres fitted, and the bike properly set up for the conditions, the BMW is very easy to ride fast. That's not without saying that the back end would still step out occasionally due to my rather abrupt throttle input whilst trying to drive as hard as possible out of the final corner onto the start/finish straight. Given the wet conditions the bike would quite easily hold a line and as the pace quickened and heat was generated in the tyres one could start to push.

I could happily brake and accelerate hard but the key was just doing so in a progressive manner. Smooth application of the brakes was essential but what I certainly found useful was downshifting slightly sooner in the wet to use the engine to help slow the bike. That and shift my body position earlier to balance the bike; particularly prior to corner entry. This was certainly aided by my new HP race seat, which unlike the OEM seat, does not become slippery when wet. The BMW, with wets fitted, responds well to a constant throttle mid-corner which in turn allowed me to stand it up a little earlier when exiting before opening the throttle wider. The traction control certainly helps matters and just as you start to feel the rear wet tyre spin up under power the flashing DTC light indicates to back off the throttle. Reassuringly I experienced no issues whatsoever with DTC calibration given that I was using a rear 190/60 Metzeler Racetec Rain tyre. I didn't bother with chasing lap times as I was more than content just circulating on my own and avoiding the pooling water at certain points around the circuit.

In the wet, or dry, this bike is exceptional on track and so enjoyable to ride. Overall a really good trackday and a nice way to finish off my 2015 season.

Good write up and great pictures, you are certainly braver than me as well. At least you still got to ride and the winter won't be so long now until spring arrives.

Bet you had heated grips switched on lol ! Remember the 1st time I used wets, took me all day to realise how much grip there actually is ....

Trackday

Rain tyres offer phenomenal amounts of grip in the wet and the first time you use them you just have to trust them. In full wet conditions they offer a huge amount of feedback particularly with well set up suspension. I will certainly be extending my trackday season into November next year as there were so few people in attendance that time on track was increased and the paddock and garages were virtually empty. Admittedly it was cold and wet but with rain tyres and heated grips there really isn't any excuse not to use the bike on track at this time of year. As for the pictures the photographer managed to take around 80 photos of my BMW and the best ones are posted above. Now I'm just looking forward to 2016...

Great thread matey, prob bump into you on track on mine sometime in 2016, not literally I hope :)

2016 Season

Thanks. I will be at a fair few UK trackdays next season along with a couple of European ones if work and family commitments permit.

Back