BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitness

I have to be physically fit for my day job which means I spend a lot of time running, swimming and in the gym doing CrossFit. I've found that doing CrossFit has massively benefited my track riding. It's all based on varied functional movement and is high intensity which helps with overall core strength, fitness, endurance and recovery. For muscle memory though nothing beats just getting out on track.

Trackday

Circuit: Snetterton 300
Air Temp: 21?C
Track Temp: 37?C
Weather / Track: Sunny / Dry
Laps: 83
Best Lap: 1:59.74

Trackday

Yesterday's trackday marked my first since July last year. I purposely booked an Open Pit Lane day as I didn't want to be constrained by time or groups. The point was to get back on the S1000RR and up to speed quickly. I had some good company in pit lane which always makes for a pleasant day and as with any Open Pit Lane event the atmosphere is generally a lot more relaxed which I prefer. A few riders (Josh Brookes, Sylvain Barrier and Gino Rea) from the BSB Paddock were also present in preparation for the IOM TT and the next BSB round at Snetterton in June. Frankly their race pace was staggering and it's rather awe-inspiring watching them fly past you in a braking zone sideways with the rear wheel in the air...

Thankfully the weather was superb which meant for a hot track. I had the option of Metzeler Racetec RR slicks or treaded tyres both in K1 compound fronts and K2 compound rears. I opted for the treaded Racetecs as they were already mounted to my BST wheels and I had only used them for 8 laps previously at the end of my last trackday. It also meant that I didn't have to make any suspension changes to take into account the taller profile of the rear slick tyre so I could concentrate purely on riding and not having to worry about setup. I really like Metzeler race tyres and even when down to the front and rear wear limits the performance and grip levels do not drop off significantly. Tyre choice is a deeply personal one but for me, on this particular bike, they just work.

As for the electronics, they remained in SLICK throughout the day with the DTC set at -4 which just offered a good compromise between forward momentum and stability. Apart from turning on my 2D laptrigger I didn't bother changing anything else or using the HP datalogger.

The first few laps were a little tentative to say the least having not ridden a bike for 10 months. After blowing away the cobwebs, remembering which way the circuit went and generally how to ride a bike quickly again(!), the only time I came into pit lane was for fuel and the compulsory lunch time break. Apart from out and in laps my lap times were consistently around the 2:02-05 mark and on occasion dropping into the high 1:59s when pushing during clear periods and towards the end of the day when the track was much quieter.

249 track miles and 83 laps later the day was over. I've gone through two sets of knee sliders, 40 litres of fuel and one pair of Metzeler Racetec RR tyres. Surprisingly my Brembo Z04 front brake pads show minimal wear despite some hard use. An expensive day in terms of consumables but my main effort was to spend as much time out on track as possible which I managed to achieve. Importantly I stayed upright throughout with the only off-track excursion being a trip down the run off area before T8 having out braked myself at the end of the back straight. Overall I'm really content with my progress despite feeling rather exhausted by days end.

Trackday

The outright BSB lap record at Snetterton is a phenomenally fast 1:46.024 set by Shane Byrne last season.

Re: Trackday

that some riding Ryan 1.59-2.02's,
if that's after 10 months off the bike ...blimey....
were some real slow riders on the open pit aswell yesterday, i found that real dangerous to watch as a bloke on a ktm nearly had 2 fellas up his chuff on the start straight. it was like he was riding in treacle. on the flip side was some real fast guys, really good to watch from all round the track at different points.
Mut

Re: Trackday

just out of curiosity, what sort of lap time should open pit riders be looking at for snetterton , I'm currently trundling round in 2.20, would you say 210-215? or even lower for a safe day?
cheers Mut

Safety comes from being predictable as much as fast.

On an public, open pit day, only an idiot would trust the guy in front to brake etc like a pro.

So imo 2:15's should be fine. They will make it passed soon enough.

- Alex

Last edited:
Open Pit Lane Days

Open Pit Lane days are generally aimed at those at the fast end of the Intermediate Group and Fast Group riders. 2:10-15 isn?t a bad marker at Snetterton but any slower and you just become a mobile chicane.

Re: Open Pit Lane Days

Open Pit Lane days are generally aimed at those at the fast end of the Intermediate Group and Fast Group riders. 2:10-15 isn’t a bad marker at Snetterton but any slower and you just become a mobile chicane.

Lol.

My 2.07 on road tyres / road setup / riding home so cant crash ain't too shabby then. :)

Great riding as always Ry, you know I'm going to have to roll on track soon on mine, hope to catch up soon mate

Really good write up Ryan...particularly the comments on the pro's.. it would interesting to watch quick amateurs then the pro's and see the difference..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Professional Riders

Really good write up Ryan...particularly the comments on the pro's.. it would interesting to watch quick amateurs then the pro's and see the difference.

Apart from the obvious abundance of talent, and a Factory bike with money can't buy parts, there are a couple of differences between a professional rider and a fast amateur when it comes to the formers ability to make up time on track. I was a guest of Smiths Racing BMW last season and their race data engineer explained the difference quite succinctly and after seeing the data it becomes blindingly apparent. Where they make up most time is their ability and speed at which they can transition from a closed to a fully open throttle. This and the time they spend with the throttle pinned over the course of a lap. An example he used was Cadwell Park which is a technically demanding circuit due to its tight and twisty nature and one where it is difficult to achieve a fast lap. The average Fast Group rider / Club Racer will spend around 8 seconds a lap with the throttle fully open. On average their BSB riders would spend 32 seconds a lap on a full throttle. When a competitive BSB lap time around Cadwell Park is 1:26-27 thats a staggering figure particularly as they are not allowed to use TC or any other electronic aids. Yes a professional rider will inevitably brake harder and later and be able to do a whole host of other things better than a fast amateur rider, but that's the key difference. When you watch them track side or (try to!) follow them on circuit this difference is immediately clear.

Trackday

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back