BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you mean bud and don't want to hijack Ryan's thread but the ddc still works as before, the sensor allows you to set how much comp and rebound whereas without it you can only set the damping and the ecu decides on generic comp/reb settings for that single parameter.

How do you find the mct Susp set up comparison to standard please ? Very interested in your findings thanks

2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

The 2D potentiometer separates the compression and rebound stages of the front suspension. It therefore allows greater flexibility when setting up the DDC suspension for track or race use. The standard DDC damping of +7 to -7 is very good but this just gives you the ability to adjust it in a more traditional manner with far greater fidelity. It does nothing more than that apart from allow you to record suspension travel data in conjunction with the HP Race Datalogger.

MCT Suspension

MCT Suspension did a great job of helping to achieve a base setting for the bike in terms of compression, rebound and preload. Having the bike professionally set up is always useful but you have to remember that this will only provide a base setting from which to work from. The key to understanding suspension set-up is being able to identify what the bike is doing beneath you and more importantly what it is preventing you from doing. This will continually change the faster you go as you will likely encounter different issues as the suspension will react differently as the pace increases.

Did you stick with the manual 8-12 sag rear and the recommend front . Wondering does the ddc still work out of the recommended parameters . My front feel light high no feel bike trying to sit up on corner I'm fighting with it . I'm setting a film day aside tomor to get the feel in looking for

DDC Setup

I've altered preload to suit my riding style on track and to allow more front-end load to help generate more grip. BMW's sag ranges are fine as a guide for initially setting the bike up but that's about it. Static sag becomes largely irrelevant once you start moving. It's not until you get out on the bike and experiment with the DDC and preload settings that you can really find out what works best for you. To put things into perspective it took me all last season to understand the nuances and feel of the DDC system and get to a point where I feel as confident using it as I did with bikes fitted with either K-Tech or ?hlins suspension.

alpha Racing

I have lighter front fork springs fitted from alpha Racing and they have certainly helped with front end feel.

Trackday

Here is a comprehensive trackday report from Rockingham National Circuit...

Trackday

After not riding my S1000RR since Snetterton last November, Friday's outing marked my first UK trackday of 2016. I thought I would start the season differently this year by riding on an unfamiliar circuit that I've never visited before. Fortunately No Limits had a few spaces left on their Rockingham National Circuit trackday. After adding a plethora of parts, including a HP Race Power Kit, over the winter this trackday provided an excellent opportunity to do a proper shakedown.

I've not visited Rockingham before as I've always been a bit sceptical about going there given its four-wheeled focus and that it was dropped from the BSB calendar several years ago. That said I was pleasantly surprised and I would definitely recommend a trackday on the National Circuit. Due to the last minute booking I was told there were no places left in the Fast Group so I had to settle for the Intermediate Group. All well and good but frustrating at times given the abundance of incidents requiring red flags due to the inability of many to stay upright on cold tyres. That said it was easy enough to find space if you timed it right when leaving the paddock. Whilst short, at only 1.7 miles long, the track has some impressively fast corners and several elevation changes. However, the best part of the circuit for me is the rapid right/left/right section prior to Turn 4 which is immensely enjoyable given the speed you can carry through it.

I spent the first few sessions learning the track and finding the quickest lines through the bumpier corners and my lap times averaged in the 1:22s. The inconsistent track surface did necessitate some minor DDC suspension changes and I made adjustments to both front compression and rebound. Changes to compression were made first to allow the suspension to compress more over the bumps before rebound was altered to control the rate at which the front forks extended again. The 2D potentiometer certainly helped in this respect and the resulting changes just allowed the bike to cope better with the bumps at several points around circuit; particularly those found at the apex of Turn 7.

The combined 7 Kg weight saving from the Akrapovič HP Race System and BST wheels was certainly noticeable as the bike simply felt lighter and sharper. After previously only managing three wets laps with the BST carbon fibre wheels fitted it was good to finally get out on them properly. They do make a noticeable and positive difference to the BMW's handling. Steering is even more responsive than before and if anything direction changes are easier and require less physical effort. They are certainly a hugely worthwhile investment as a second set of wheels to compliment the HP offering that came fitted to my BMW. Whilst marginally better, what the BST wheels do highlight is just how good the HP Forged wheels actually are.

The HP Race Power Kit is a bit of a revelation. With it fitted the bike is now much more akin to a race bike and is no longer hampered by emission controls and such like and overall it just revs much more freely. With the HP Racing Data Release BMW claim increases in terms of both power and torque across the entire rev range espicially between 5,000-9,000 rpm. This increase in midrange is instantly noticeable and throttle response is now even smoother having experimented with the bike in Race, Slick and User modes. Engine braking certainly feels reduced and this is definitely beneficial for smoother and faster corner entry. As for any significant difference in top end I couldn't tell as I never needed to use anything more than 4th gear due to the short nature of the circuit. This aspect will have to wait until I get the bike back to Snetterton and subsequently on a Dyno.

Traction control is also different and the bike has a much more aggressive feel to it. With the HP Racing Data Release I now have fully adjustable traction control available in all modes via the toggle switch on the bars. The DTC feels less intrusive than before with the DTC set at '0' but in the higher '+' figures the traction control light was almost constantly flashing when accelerating hard whilst exiting corners. With negative DTC values inputted the harder compound K3 tyres would slide predictably but forward momentum was never sacrificed. The DTC was good before but it now feels even better on track.

The Metzeler Racetec RR K3 tyres I had fitted are very good. Running hot pressures towards the lower threshold of Metzeler's recommended pressure ranges they offer good feedback and are very stable especially under braking and over Rockingham's bumps. Mid-corner at 51? lean they feel planted even when the surface changes. If these are anything to go by the softer K1 compound front tyre should be epic. Exit grip is also very good and any slides induced by lowering the DTC value are predictable. Even though I was using tyre warmers between sessions the numerous red flags did mean that I spent a fair bit of time waiting in pit lane. Whilst this certainly isn't a good thing in terms of time on track, a point worth noting is that after going straight back out on the circuit they retain heat well and warm-up again particularly quickly and inspire confidence. Furthermore, after 7 sessions and 47 laps their wear rates are impressive.

P1070206_zps66m9harw.jpg

The only small negative point is the front tyre is pressure-sensitive. Therefore they do require a bit of experimentation with Metzeler's recommended hot pressures ranges; especially when ambient temperatures are quite low. I ended up settling for 30 psi front and 26 psi rear, which I found worked well in the dry 12?C conditions. Overall the Metzeler Racetec RRs are extremely good and I can't wait to get a set of the K1 and K2 race compound tyres fitted.

Finally, the Akrapovič HP full race exhaust system also passed Rockingham's static noise testing without issue. For reference it recorded 102.1 dB at 5,500 rpm without the baffle fitted and 98.4 dB with it inserted. Akrapovič exhausts have thankfully never been that loud but fitting a full system can sometimes lead to noise test problems. These results are quite reassuring for when it comes to passing the stricter noise test limits found at MSV circuits and Donington Park.

All in all a very good start to my trackday season.

great write up and pics as usual mate, looking forward to more of these over the season......

Nice one Ryan, are you not tempted to fit race plastics as you've said it's 99% a track only bike?

alpha Racing

Nice one Ryan, are you not tempted to fit race plastics as you've said it's 99% a track only bike?

I have a few parts from my alpha Racing order yet to fit and I'm still awaiting delivery of my race fairings from them.

Nice write up and pics Ryan.

Is the 1.22s correct? Jeremy McWilliams did multiple (7) tyre tests at Rockingham last year on a '15 sthou and his best was 1.27 I believe. .???

Re: alpha Racing

I have a few parts from my alpha Racing order yet to fit and I'm still awaiting delivery of my race fairings from them.

Ahh I see, makes sense - I'll try those warm temps if it's cold next time I'm out...though I think it's more likely to be wet :/

I spent the first few sessions learning the track and finding the quickest lines through the bumpier corners and my lap times averaged in the 1:22s.

Nice write up and pics Ryan.

Is the 1.22s correct? Jeremy McWilliams did multiple (7) tyre tests at Rockingham last year on a '15 sthou and his best was 1.27 I believe. .???

That was the Performance Bike Test - the grey cells are still working! :p
http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/blind-tyre-test-fastest-rockingham-lap-clocked-on-contiraceattacks/

Were they the same track layouts? Or was the 1:22 a typo (no offence but JM is probably faster, so I assume the 1:27 is correct)

Back