speedo

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No speedo = no mileage is my understanding, so you'd have a 'clocked' bike? Not worth much.

the speedo and engine ecu readings for mileage need to be within a small differential or bike throws up an error, that's my take on it.

Last edited:
was goin down to england soon didnt want to run up the mileage so wanted to disconnect but i dont think you can

The speedo and ECU mileage have to match, otherwise the dashboard throws up an error, not to mention you'd have to work out how to disable the speedo to start with. ;)

This kind of attitude is more common than you think with bikes (esp sports bikes)

Do you mean 'clocking' or generally messing with the bikes beyond what would be expected?

I remember a few years ago there was an EU directive proposed to make it illegal to sell a bike without disclosing all modifications made, including ones where something may have been added and then removed (a PC for example), because it could have an effect on the bike in future, which could potentially lead to a nasty problem for an unsuspecting owner.

There was a bit of an 'uproar' on the forum I was on at the time with a few members.

Personally speaking I thought the directive was a great idea, although it would never persuade me to buy a second hand bike from a stranger.

This thread has got to be a joke? Right. Put some miles on it and stop messing about. Lol

mileage stored in ECU not speedo
I will second that as I work for BMW try what you like the ECM knows! Lol. Obviously if you sold private then the prospective buyer wouldn't know ..... But how would you feel if u just wedged out 10k plus karma is a bitch "what comes arround goes around !

Obviously if you sold private then the prospective buyer wouldn't know ..... But how would you feel if u just wedged out 10k plus karma is a bitch "what comes arround goes around !

Well said.

Last edited:
On my GSXR i went the other way! the -1f/+3r gearing, and the speedo pickup on the front sprocket meant the milage was going up way faster than it should have. I eventually bought a speedo healer to correct the speed reading as i got fed up working out my true road speed in my head..

At no point did i even consider disconnecting the speedo to save the millage - thats just dishonest :(

I have just put new clocks on my bike, came up with no coding when turned on but then went off, next time I started bike same no coding came on but this time engine warning light stayed on, any idea why? Bike seems to run ok

Back