Not starting

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadkins14

Reaction score
If anyone can help with the following it would be appreciated as I won't be able to get hold of BMW until late Monday now.

After having the bike serviced early this morning at BMW Welwyn and then a nice ride home, I've since gone back out to the bike to go out again and it's not starting!

I never use the key fob, just the key in the ignition to turn the alarm off? But this time it isn't turning off with the key. I have to use the key fob to turn it off.
But even with the alarm off the bike won't start!?

Theres no warnings flashing up and both left and right switches work, I can adjust the mode settings, heated grips, etc... But it just won't start on the button?

The bikes kept in a garage under a dust sheet, so no direct sunlight on the switches, I'm unable to check the battery voltage atm but would it just completely die after never having an issue with it, even being ridden for over an hour a few hours earlier?

Thanks, Scott

It was serviced earlier in the day and I asked them to check them out and they were fine.

Would I still be able to change mode settings an heated grips if it was the switch gear?

It was serviced earlier in the day and I asked them to check them out and they were fine.

Would I still be able to change mode settings an heated grips if it was the switch gear?

Yes quite possibly. The switchgear rarely completely fails, just a button or two, or some functionality. I have had (on the other bike) left indicator fail, but right working, for example.

Also, the failure can be intermittent, so the dealer should change them for you FOC when you say you have had this fault regardless of them repeating the scenario. There is a BMW campaign to replace switchgear FOC if issues are reported by owners (until November I think).

I'm just waiting for them to call me back about a new rear sprocket carrier which they said are now being replaced under warranty for recalls.
So I'll mention I'd like a new switchgear too.

Update on this...

bike was starting and running fine on the Monday, took it for a short ride into town on the Wednesday and it never started up for me to get home. I rang BMW and they said it could well be the switch gear and they'll order me one in if they could get it for Friday (today).
So I recovered it using a works van and took it back to the dealers today and let them have a look.

They first thought it was a battery problem, so fitted a new one and still no luck.
Then the dyanostics was showing a sensor fault. After taking one off of their showroom bikes and fitting it to mine it started and the fault went away.
So now they've ordered me a new sensor which should hopefully be in tomorrow.

It was a crankshaft position sensor!

Anyone heard of any problems with these? The bikes a 2012 and only has 1100 miles.
Ive been told to expect a bill of around ?200, they asked if I had warranty but it ran out end of July :mad-new:

Update on this...

bike was starting and running fine on the Monday, took it for a short ride into town on the Wednesday and it never started up for me to get home. I rang BMW and they said it could well be the switch gear and they'll order me one in if they could get it for Friday (today).
So I recovered it using a works van and took it back to the dealers today and let them have a look.

They first thought it was a battery problem, so fitted a new one and still no luck.
Then the dyanostics was showing a sensor fault. After taking one off of their showroom bikes and fitting it to mine it started and the fault went away.
So now they've ordered me a new sensor which should hopefully be in tomorrow.

It was a crankshaft position sensor!

Anyone heard of any problems with these? The bikes a 2012 and only has 1100 miles.
Ive been told to expect a bill of around ?200, they asked if I had warranty but it ran out end of July :mad-new:

If its only 1100mls with full dealer history I would push at least with a goodwill claim. I had a new engine supplied foc when mine was well out of warranty so would think you have a good chance.

It does have full dealer history, I even took it back to the Hertford/Welwyn dealership to carry it on from the previous owner when park street is probably closer to me.

Ive spoken to BMW UK customer services and they've said they'll do a 24 hour investigation with the dealership to see what can be done. So will be Monday now until they say anything.
They did say if the bike is ready tomorrow or Sunday then I could still pick it up an pay and they will still investigate.
Would you say I'm better of leaving it with the dealership until they make a decision or pick it up and pay the full amount and then hope they refund me some for goodwil?

Got the bike back yesterday, all running fine now.
They fitted a new crankshaft position sensor aswell as a new battery (which I didn't think was needed!)
Aswell as fitting 2 new switches and a rear sprocket carrier due to the recalls/ known faults.

Hi I have the same issue with my s1000 its doing the exact same thing as you have described yours but it was left in the elements due to certain circumstances any quick fix for the switchgear anyone knows of?

Hi wadkins14 I'm new here and noticed a problem you had similar to mine when you said your bikes engine management came on and wouldn't rev. My bike is doing the exact same thing. Can you tell me what happened? Thanks

Back