handlebar grips .....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

he-be-gb

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for some advice as I need new grips,originals almost completely worn through on a 2012 bike with the factory heated grips on , quoted approx ?140 to replace !! Can aftermarket (Renthal, etc.) be fitted easily enough , if, as I understand it you have two pairs, 'cos with the heated grips the left hand side is the same (wider ) width as the throttle side ? Many thanks in advance for any actual experience of fitting these,cheers, GB.

Has anyone done a grip replacement from OEM to renthal? Having a look at replacing, but the grips seem pretty tight. Do they require cutting?

You have to cut the rubber off the grips to expose the tubes then you will have to buy 2 sets of grips to use the 2 thickest throttle grips and slide them over the plastic tubes

I've replaced plenty of them from OEM rubber to after market 'BM look' rubber, it's fairly simple if your careful about it.

You have to cut the rubber off the grips to expose the tubes then you will have to buy 2 sets of grips to use the 2 thickest throttle grips and slide them over the plastic tubes

Cheers mate. A Thot a read that somehwere.

any i guess,the hardest bit is removing the o/e grips without cutting the element or tube

Hi Stephen,
What aftermarket BM look grips do you recommend for heated gen 2 bike?
Cheers

These are the ones we use.

a497021fae7054e778e1d8d31c2ac8d8.jpg

It just takes a razor blade and patience to remove the old ones without damaging the heating element.

Last edited:
When you are ready to mount the new grips soak them in nearly boiling water first for a few minutes to soften them up ;)

If using Renthal grips, to get a perfect fit you need to carefully dremel off the plastic notches (2 on each bar). The Ariete grips pictured earlier in this thread are a perfect fit with no modding as they have the same design as oem on the switchgear side.

I’ve just double checked the ariete grips are identical in size (not sided)

They’re a tight fit so usually they don’t need glueing. I spray some brake cleaner inside the grip before sliding it on, it makes it much easier to slide on and line up. The brake cleaner soon flashes off leaving a nice tight fit.

They’re a tight fit so usually they don’t need glueing. I spray some brake cleaner inside the grip before sliding it on, it makes it much easier to slide on and line up. The brake cleaner soon flashes off leaving a nice tight fit.

the only problem with the tight fitting grips is the fine wire elements that are wrapped around the tubes can easily snap whilst installing the new grips.

Hi Stephen, that's good info. Did you buy the from Ariete in Italy or is there a UK distributer?

Back