Engine Rattle

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right----scrub that, just been for a ride and she's as quiet as a mouse, problem is the bike feels like I'm riding into a headwind/resting my foot on the brake pedal, when I rev the engine, I can hear the chain whining slightly, and it just feels tight and none responsive, back off the tensioner 1/4 of a turn and better but still there-rattle starting to make a return, further 1/4 turn, engine smooth and free, rattle well and truly back, tighten an 1/8th, some rattle, engine feeling less eager.....bollocks!!!!! At least I've confirmed it's chain related but I'm kinda back to square one.

Right----scrub that, just been for a ride and she's as quiet as a mouse, problem is the bike feels like I'm riding into a headwind/resting my foot on the brake pedal, when I rev the engine, I can hear the chain whining slightly, and it just feels tight and none responsive, back off the tensioner 1/4 of a turn and better but still there-rattle starting to make a return, further 1/4 turn, engine smooth and free, rattle well and truly back, tighten an 1/8th, some rattle, engine feeling less eager.....bollocks!!!!! At least I've confirmed it's chain related but I'm kinda back to square one.

sorry to hear that, but as you said - it is very important that at least you identified the problem (wish dealer would do that for you, but...)

in the meantime, do you think it is dangerous (or damaging for the bike) to ride the bike?

Trying to picture what's going on inside, if overtightening the chain shuts her up then it must be worn chain or worn cam bearings or broken chain guides or intermediate gear shaft, remember, I complained about this within 5 minutes 1/3rd of a mile of picking the bike up, 2500 miles and 6 weeks later the noise is 100% the same, getting a bmw mechanic to acknowledge the noise would make me much happier, in some ways I wish it would drop a valve or spin a shell or something,then I can be sarcastic!! Not here to slate the mechanics either, I'm sure they'd help If they could.

Obviously doing this over a forum isn't easy, a rattle could be anything, but I second Cally's opinion on exhaust butterflies.

Mine did it for ages until I finally could be ass to take fairing off and fix it. Its an easy 1 minute check really.

Left hand side just behind the fairing near left handlebar you should be able to feel the servo, locate the cable with your finger, if it has any give in it, then take the panel off, use a screw driver and pull cable taught (hard to explain but hopefully u get the idea), start bike up if rattle has gone whilst cable is taught then you servo cable needs tightening which is down under the oil filter. It can be done by just removing bellying fairing and an 8mm spanner.

I've had to adjust mine 3 times since having bike. 3000, 9000 and 13000. Now i fear it will be a new cable next time. If it isn't this, then at least you've rules something out. Two pictures which might help you out.

K46_R18006c_small.jpg

K46_R18017b_small.jpg

hey guys,first post on here ,great site.
these pics are spot on for info,can i ask where you accsessed them Ross?:applause:

Just back from supplying dealer, mechanic agrees somethings not right, he's promised me he'll do all he can to identify/solve it.....that'll do for me, they gave me there 14 RR to use while mines in bits, in a lot of ways I prefer it over the HP, it's like the HP's hooligan brother, far better throttle pick up and hits the red line much quicker-or----- is my HP a bad un? Any opinions/experience, obviously I had to run in the HP so I'd forgot just how brutal the RR is, should the HP be on a par or even more eager??

Just back from supplying dealer, mechanic agrees somethings not right, he's promised me he'll do all he can to identify/solve it.....that'll do for me, they gave me there 14 RR to use while mines in bits, in a lot of ways I prefer it over the HP, it's like the HP's hooligan brother, far better throttle pick up and hits the red line much quicker-or----- is my HP a bad un? Any opinions/experience, obviously I had to run in the HP so I'd forgot just how brutal the RR is, should the HP be on a par or even more eager??

ok, so now that you have their bike hostage :) they'll have to fix yours before they can have their bike back!)))

please let us know what exactly they are doing on the bike so we can just go and replace the faulty parts (make necessary adjustments) - this way we will not have to rely on our local dealer to do (or not do) lengthy diagnoses. They could check straight away the faulty part.

good luck and also curious to know if S1kRR is indeed THAT good comparing to HP4 (after it is fixed of course)

Sounds like you could've jumped a tooth fitting the tensioner...

Sounds like you could've jumped a tooth fitting the tensioner...
Definitely not,, wouldn't jump back when loosening the tension, it's an either or situation, quiet and tight, or rattly and free, engine being stripped today.

Definitely not,, wouldn't jump back when loosening the tension, it's an either or situation, quiet and tight, or rattly and free, engine being stripped today.

how does it look in there? could you update on the progress, work being made? pictures maybe?

Back