Understeering...man or machine

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the manual the factory setup should have been nearly perfect for me. The first few months I felt no confidence tipping it into corners. When I got suspension properly set up (cost £25) it transformed the bike. Get it done as soon as you can and enjoy the summer! Where are you based? I got mine done at Oval motorbike centre in Battersea.

Was that done by Matt by any chance.
He does a good job, but found that Brian at http://briannicholson.wordpress.com/ is a top man for setting up.

i wish my tyres looked like that after a day on track!! they look like they are a fairly hard compound?

I went on another track evening at Snetterton last night. 30/30psi ish. I don't know if the pressures were spot on or if I'm just gaining confidence but I felt like I was lapping faster and tracking through the bends better. (No suspension mods yet). Held back a bit as lets face it I don't want to bin it. But suffice to say I had the ABS, TC and Anti-Wheelie busy at times! 2nd/3rd gear power wheelies are fun...

So I think I still want the suspension set for road and for track but I'm much happier after this run using lower pressures.

On a seperate note...I had the brakes fail/fade on Agostini's at the end of the night. There's a circumstance when you can push the pads off the disc, which can cause that situation - can anyone remind me? If it wasn't a pad push it was brake fade. Can anyone recommend pads which fade less arn't too grabby but have maybe a bit more Mu (friction) compared to stock? (Nothing too extreme)

Maybe the best thing to do would be to get one of the suspension guys at a track day to set it up and advise on tyre pressures too as that's where you're finding the issues.
'100% suspension' made a good difference to mine and 'Parkitt' have a good reputation too. Are you close to MCT in Stowmarket as they also have a very good reputation?
Then, if possible, have somebody follow you round and watch what your doing, an instructor at a track day should be up to doing this.

Maybe I'm just getting less fussy in my old age but as a bike to be ridden on track with, at the moment, fairly minimal mods (but suspension set up by 100% at Cadwell as it was a bit 'wallowy' at a few places) I can hardly think of a single fault with it (at my level). I think, as a road bike - mine is a 2013 bike - with just track tyres it's unbelievably good.

I find it changes direction so easily and mine holds a line without me having to think about it. It's that much quicker at dropping into turns than my previous bike that, at corners I know, I seem to be caught out by it's speed of turn-in and I'm quite often aiming for inside the curb at the apex.

I'm not sure what to say about the brakes! It's by far the best standard braking set up I've ever used. Maybe try changing fluid but first clean pads and discs thoroughly and see how that works out.

I'm racing (trying) using ebc double h at the moment with standard disc, not had a prob.....yet lol

Neavsy recommends sbs dual compound on his hp4....

Last edited:
Cheers Fella's
I've had a look at the SBS DC's and feel that the sintered pads would be better for me. So when I change I'll look at SBS/Brembo Sintered setups.

I'll sort out the suspension either with st-racing.com or travel to MCT...and have another go. The cornering was markedly better this last time though. So pressures and riding style definitely improved the situation.

And yeah will take some more instruction as I'm sure there's a lot of speed in the corners being left on the table (which would put less stress on the brake system in a way).

Back