HP4 Decat Link Pipe

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone replaced their standard HP4 link pipe with the built in sports cat for a non cat version whilst keeping the existing end can and headers? If so was it a straight swap over or did the ECU need remapping etc?

Appreciate some feed back on this issue.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Has anyone replaced their standard HP4 link pipe with the built in sports cat for a non cat version whilst keeping the existing end can and headers? If so was it a straight swap over or did the ECU need remapping etc?

Appreciate some feed back on this issue.

Many thanks.[/QUOThi did you get round to changing the link pipe, thinking of doing mine. What's it like to do & did you have to re map the bike?E]

Yes I'm thinking of doing this, would be nice to get rid of the cat.

I rang my BMW Dealer today, about the link pipe , he said you would have to re map, soft ware would be about ? 400 to download from BMW plus labour & the link pipe would be about ?380. Sounds's expensive . I see the new 1000RR look's good with more goodies than are HP4😁

Thanks for the information, what did you do with the cat that screws into the exhaust and the two black cables? Did you unplug it under the seat and remove it completely? Do any warning lights flash on the dash and does this invalidate the warranty? So it obviously sounds better, but do you think it gives it any more power?

To be honest Greenstar, i did not fit it myself, a friend of mine who owns his own bike shop and races an s1000rr fitted it for me. The cables are not attached to the decat link pipe but coiled up under the sub frame, so if it needs to go back to standard trim, the cat pipe can easily be refitted. I have no warning lights on the dash as a result of this. With regards to the warranty i do not believe it will affect the warranty as it is a genuine Akro part made specifically for BMW and BMW sell and fit them should you wish to use them directly.
It is definitely pushing out more power as its now "breathing" freely and it bangs and pops like a good'en up and down the gears. Exactly how much more power it is pushing out i do not know because ive not had a before and after dyno run done. The ECU with the standard map seems to be coping ok with the bike without the cat however, i still have the standard air filter in the bike. I suspect that if this is changed to an after market one like K&N for example, i think a remap would have to be done. However there is no way id take it to BMW to get it done. Id take it to a specialized dyno and remap place like Hilltop Motorcycles in Leicestershire and they will dyno the bike and setup a specific custom map for your particular bike for about ?350. However if you just use the bike on the road as ive said the standard ECU map will cope fine with the decat linkpipe in.

Thank's for the information Ian, I think I will ring Geoff at hill top & get it sorted I rang Chester Motorrad and they wanted a grand��. Cheer's

To be honest Greenstar, i did not fit it myself, a friend of mine who owns his own bike shop and races an s1000rr fitted it for me. The cables are not attached to the decat link pipe but coiled up under the sub frame, so if it needs to go back to standard trim, the cat pipe can easily be refitted. I have no warning lights on the dash as a result of this. With regards to the warranty i do not believe it will affect the warranty as it is a genuine Akro part made specifically for BMW and BMW sell and fit them should you wish to use them directly.
It is definitely pushing out more power as its now "breathing" freely and it bangs and pops like a good'en up and down the gears. Exactly how much more power it is pushing out i do not know because ive not had a before and after dyno run done. The ECU with the standard map seems to be coping ok with the bike without the cat however, i still have the standard air filter in the bike. I suspect that if this is changed to an after market one like K&N for example, i think a remap would have to be done. However there is no way id take it to BMW to get it done. Id take it to a specialized dyno and remap place like Hilltop Motorcycles you in Leicestershire and they will dyno the bike and setup a specific custom map for your particular bike for about ?350. However if you just use the bike on the road as ive said the standard ECU map will cope fine with the decat linkpipe in.
Hi. Ian, sorry to keep bothering you, but do you have to cut the cat pipe out, or does it just pull apart when you remove the springs. Only I did see on here that a few people cut the cat section out with a grinder.

The system on the HP4 will just pull apart once the springs are disconnected, the cables for the valve near the cat run up to underneath the rear of the tank where a servo is located and can be disconnected front eh servo easily. if the servo is not running the valve it will show as a error in the edu, this will not show in the dash but only when the dealer completes a service.

The system on the HP4 will just pull apart once the springs are disconnected, the cables for the valve near the cat run up to underneath the rear of the tank where a servo is located and can be disconnected front eh servo easily. if the servo is not running the valve it will show as a error in the edu, this will not show in the dash but only when the dealer completes a service.

thanks that's very helpful. Have you done this? If so, did you get a remap, dyno results etc?

No I've not doe this but I fitted an akropovic on my last S1000 and the system fittings are the same the only difference is the cat which is n a centre pipe so is easy to remove/replace.
My last S1000 with exhaust and remap was 205hp, i spoke to geoff at Hilltop when i got the HP4 and discussed mapping I know he has done them and had very good results.

thanks bud. Might ring bmw next week and see what they say re the remap and warranty status.

Dumb questions probably:

does anyone know if removing the cat increases noise levels ( :( for track days) ?

Will it cause a problem at mot time?

When i first bought my HP4 i bought the link pipe the standard ecu re maps itself after about 250 miles to suit the exhaust, Since then i put a racetaylormade system on mine and i bought a hand held Dan bren flash ecu my genius kit (where you can map it and also put it back to standard ecu at any time, awesome results) as regards to the cables leave them on and just cable tie them together and the light won't come on your dash,

Just ordered the de cat link pipe, but I see there are no screw holes for the Carbon heel guard to fit on to, so I would need some kind of jubilee clips to fit the heel guard to. Any one know anything about this.

Hi Greenstar, the decat link pipe does not allow for the carbon heel guard to be fitted. The only way it can be done is to get fixings welded to the pipe to allow the heel plate to be re-screwed back into place. I haven't done mine yet but might do next year as i know someone who works with titanium exhaust systems and it will be a 5 minute job for him to weld these on to the link pipe and reattach the heel plate. Saying that, in my opinion it doesn't look too bad without the heel plate, but its all down to personal preferences.

Cheer's Ian, I fitted the link pipe tonight, it seem's to go ok, just a little louder, I will probably get it re mapped next year at Hilltop.The heel guard can be fitted by two bracket's which I did see on a American Website, but welding two bites on would be neater,you will have to let me know the guys name that welds titanium .

Back