today I have test ridden the 899 and 1199 Panigale

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chorsley

Reaction score
Ive been out test riding the ducati 899 and the 1199 paingale, I prefer the 899 out of the two but they are no way as good as the BMW.

The 899 is something I've been toying with in my mind, was considering having an afternoon off to test ride one of these & the S1000R Sport.

What makes the S1000RR more impressive in your mind then?

The 899 is something I've been toying with in my mind, was considering having an afternoon off to test ride one of these & the S1000R Sport.

What makes the S1000RR more impressive in your mind then?

The 1199 has no midrange touque and all the power is up above 7K, so its not as nice to ride as the BMW and I could live with the vibration. The 899 is different but you have to keep it spinning still in lower gears to make progress it does have a much less vibration than the 1199 but the fueling is not as nice as the BMW the BMW is like a magic carpet compared to either Ducati.

On the plus side the gearbox is sweet and youe legs are much more relaxed on either Ducati

Loved the 899 but ran out of shove too quickly. Panigale looks bloody gorgeous but you have too really hustle it along to the higher rev range - agree the BMW is smoother, linear power and you could commute/tour on it - i wouldnt on the Duke.

For me i'm not a fan of the noise they make either - a right bag of spanners!

After riding all 3 it was the BMW i decided on - collected it Saturday:

Interesting post.

I have 2012 S1K and a Panigale R (my 1st Duc) and to say one is better than the other is unfair. They are both very capable and very different bikes and it's easy to say one is better than the other but in my opinion it comes down to preference, not one being better.

The S1k is much easier to ride, much easier to go fast on and better around town.
The Panigale is not for the inexperienced, it brakes better, is more flickable, has a better gearbox and quickshifter. It is not so easy around town, 3rd gear in town is a no no. However it is very rewarding to ride. It is one of these bikes that gets better the faster it goes, an old cliche i'm sorry.

I have not had the Panigale on the track but I'm sure when I do (July) it will be every bit as capable as the BMW.
It's all down to what gives an individual confidence / comfort if you want to go fast and it is every bit as good as the BMW if not better.

In my opinion of course

http://youtu.be/dlhzihyd3XY (last time out on the BMW)

The 1199 has no midrange touque and all the power is up above 7K, so its not as nice to ride as the BMW and I could live with the vibration. The 899 is different but you have to keep it spinning still in lower gears to make progress it does have a much less vibration than the 1199 but the fueling is not as nice as the BMW the BMW is like a magic carpet compared to either Ducati.

On the plus side the gearbox is sweet and youe legs are much more relaxed on either Ducati

Aye, gearbox on the S1krr isn't the best is it. Another false neutral or two on saturday when out for a blast, after owning an aprilia followed by a Triumph and then 3 Hondas the gearbox is the least pleasant I've experienced.

Cheers for that, more food for thought.

Great vid Niven was thinking sugar that's quick and then two go past and disappear.
Ah well I can always dream I could go half that quick

Great vid Niven was thinking sugar that's quick and then two go past and disappear.
Ah well I can always dream I could go half that quick

Thanks Rusty. It was the fast group and my 1st time there.
Tito Rabat was also there on a 600 going 16sec a lap faster lol.

Interesting post.

I have 2012 S1K and a Panigale R (my 1st Duc) and to say one is better than the other is unfair. They are both very capable and very different bikes and it's easy to say one is better than the other but in my opinion it comes down to preference, not one being better.

The S1k is much easier to ride, much easier to go fast on and better around town.
The Panigale is not for the inexperienced, it brakes better, is more flickable, has a better gearbox and quickshifter. It is not so easy around town, 3rd gear in town is a no no. However it is very rewarding to ride. It is one of these bikes that gets better the faster it goes, an old cliche i'm sorry.

I have not had the Panigale on the track but I'm sure when I do (July) it will be every bit as capable as the BMW.
It's all down to what gives an individual confidence / comfort if you want to go fast and it is every bit as good as the BMW if not better.

In my opinion of course

http://youtu.be/dlhzihyd3XY (last time out on the BMW)

I guess you are correct and this is my opinion, on the track the 1199 might come into its own, the gearbox and quick shifter are lovely I am just not a fan of its power curve the power is to far up the rev range to be enjoyable on the road.

Aye, gearbox on the S1krr isn't the best is it. Another false neutral or two on saturday when out for a blast, after owning an aprilia followed by a Triumph and then 3 Hondas the gearbox is the least pleasant I've experienced.

Cheers for that, more food for thought.

Get rid of your stock sshift assist and purchase a HM Strain guage shiffter one set up properly no false neutrals at all the best £450 I have spent on the BMW although I agree the gearbox on the S1000rr is not the most pleasant experiance.

Loved the 899 but ran out of shove too quickly. Panigale looks bloody gorgeous but you have too really hustle it along to the higher rev range - agree the BMW is smoother, linear power and you could commute/tour on it - i wouldnt on the Duke.

For me i'm not a fan of the noise they make either - a right bag of spanners!

After riding all 3 it was the BMW i decided on - collected it Saturday:

Very nice looks just like mine when i collected it from the steallers!!! fastest clolor too

Back