Help with dash fault/ abs/ TC lights on and loss of speedo reading intermittently

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu1888

Reaction score
As above been into BMW twice now new dash cluster fitted and still intermittent problem
Riding alone all fine no problem and then bang abs light TC light on loose speedo reading (digital speed number) no neutral light and only happens intermittently ???? Had a look at back of dash and plugs look in and ok but i unpluged the center plug and it more or less replicated the problem could be ecu, loom or dash but thats ment to be changed????Going back to BMW but as its not long out warranty they said that if it happens again they won't cover it... Wtf they have miss diagnosed it IMHO and as I am an electrical engineer to trade told them if I did the same with a customers crane we would have to fine the real problem and fix it or am I wrong??????? This IMO is dangerous as this could happen mid corner in the wet or under heavy braking and it usually manifests in the rain or damp. Anyone had this problem or similar help required ASAP please. Oh and since the bike has been in my shift light comes on at 6-7rpm don't ever remember this being so low? Have they set it at this the white light is a right pain on the motorway as even at 80mph its on??????

Ok. The shift light can be set at any number of rpm values, you access it through the settings menu on the bike. So you can change it to whatever you want and have it flash or stay on, or whatever. That's not a problem. How to do it is in the manual.

The other stuff is just no good. It does sound like an electrical issue so is fixable, but dunno. So you have consumer law on your side, if the product is not fit for purpose then you are entitled to a full refund or exchange, up to you. From my experience with bmw I would work with the dealer (it's not their fault, they didn't build the bike, and I'll guarantee they want the problem to be fixed). So be calm and smile, but explain you are not going to have the bike back until the problem is fixed. In the meantime a loan bike would be a gesture of goodwill as the fault is not of your doing. Bmw uk have a pot of money per bike that they can allocate as goodwill to fixes etc. I've had four figures in goodwill on a bike from bmw uk, so be diplomatic and play the long game.

if the bike is a little out of warranty that should not be a problem if it has been serviced and maintained by bmw. If you bought it outside of the dealer network, or have had it worked on by an Indy, then the above is void. I have had a bike two years out of warranty and they sorted it (not a general recall or switch issue, much more serious).

if bmw have had the bike in it might throw error codes to help with the problem.

for sure I wouldn't be happy riding it until it was resolved.

best pm me if you want more specific info about goodwill from bmw should you need it.

Hi Stu1888, it?s a long shot, but did you ever diagnose the fault ?
I just had a very similar problem this afternoon - abs/traction control flashing, speedo showing - - - and headlight went out and back on ..
Will be taking the bike back to the dealer for checking, but would appreciate your insight

Battery connection almost every time.
Best to check that before going to the dealer.

- Alex

Thanks Alex, will check it tomorrow, and come back with an outcome - hoping it?s just a loose connection !

BTW, without a message in the Welcome section to say hello etc your account stays limited. Please pop a note in when you can to get full access.

mine had a chaffed loom near the airbox / frame - I think it was either the power or the earth to the clocks - which have an ecu that controls everything except the engine management and ABS - BMW did it so can't pinpoint exact spot - but apparently it's not uncommon

Alex, your a champion !
Turns out the negative terminal screw was a few turns loose. Possible vibration travelling down through the GPS cables ?
Might look into using a spring washer.
Hope this helps anyone else experiencing these intermittent faults.
Greatly appreciate the help and knowledge.

Just thought I?d add to this incase it helps, bike is currently with BMW in Belfast. I had the same issues listed above, was told It was over powering the system as some sort of battery regulator was faulty.!! Hopefully covered under warranty.

mine had a chaffed loom near the airbox / frame - I think it was either the power or the earth to the clocks - which have an ecu that controls everything except the engine management and ABS - BMW did it so can't pinpoint exact spot - but apparently it's not uncommon

Just thought I’d add to this incase it helps, bike is currently with BMW in Belfast. I had the same issues listed above, was told It was over powering the system as some sort of battery regulator was faulty.!! Hopefully covered under warranty.

My '16 had the same/similar symptoms - blowing the 30A fuse and loosing whole dash and lights.
Turned out to also be a chaffed/squashed loom, but mine was under/next to the fuel tank mount apparently. BMW dealer techs said it seems it happened at factory/assembly as the tank mount appeared to have never been removed.

They tried to blame the battery tender cable, then tried to blame the fender eliminator. Eventually they got it, so persist if they try to fob you off with the easy 'solutions'.

Back