Security??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know a reasonable full size cover that:
is plain looking
has loops for chains
waterproof (nice to have)
is heat proof (as will put on after arrival)
will roll up for taking on bike.

I'm having trouble finding one with all these conflicting requirements met :-(

i have an oxford one that has the heat shield thingy on it so it does not melt when its warm. Worked ok for a couple of years now.

Some **** just tried to nick mine 20 mins ago...I had the xena alarmed disclock on her....the alarm went off a couple of times and then I noticed someone was having a pop at the lock and ruinning off...drove to get a new one...brakes failed. Disc's buggered.
My mechanic suggested the Alamx chain...is this the best one? How do you carry it?
Totally p*issed off :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Any thoughts gratefully received...
Thanks, Charlotte x

That's not good, sorry to hear that, but at least you've still got your bike. I had two Marin mountain bikes taken from my garage over the weekend :(. Not quite the same I know but a loss is a loss...

Your alarm did the job, so in some respects your security did the trick.

Almax chains are the best. They weigh a lot though. I took mine to Europe on the bike a few years ago and had it in a Kreiga bag strapped to the pillion seat. Even then it moved around a fair bit.

That's not good, sorry to hear that, but at least you've still got your bike. I had two Marin mountain bikes taken from my garage over the weekend :(. Not quite the same I know but a loss is a loss...

Your alarm did the job, so in some respects your security did the trick.

Almax chains are the best. They weigh a lot though. I took mine to Europe on the bike a few years ago and had it in a Kreiga bag strapped to the pillion seat. Even then it moved around a fair bit.

Thanks Soofsayer...I'll hunt down the bag too. x

The Kreiga bag here:
http://www.kriega.com/us-10-drybag/

The Almax chains here:
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

I will check the chain length I have, and double check if it does fit ok in the kriega bag tonight as it was a while ago.

The only bummer with the almax chains is how to secure them through the bike other than the wheels, bit of a blank on that one other than through the front forks and yoke perhaps.

Meant to add...I hope you get your bikes back...and the scum that took them ;-)

No worries, this was about your bike not mine :).

anyho, I've been and checked and I've got the Almax IV 1.5m chain (and squires lock from them too) and it fits in the kriega I put a link to. It'll need strapping down well on to the pillion seat as the chain is heavy and will move about if there is any give in the straps. It's been posted before but in case you missed it, wrapping electrical tape around the exposed chain ends is a good way of not damaging paintwork on the bike when fitting the chain through the wheels. Works for me.

No worries, this was about your bike not mine :).

anyho, I've been and checked and I've got the Almax IV 1.5m chain (and squires lock from them too) and it fits in the kriega I put a link to. It'll need strapping down well on to the pillion seat as the chain is heavy and will move about if there is any give in the straps. It's been posted before but in case you missed it, wrapping electrical tape around the exposed chain ends is a good way of not damaging paintwork on the bike when fitting the chain through the wheels. Works for me.

I'm going to need the 2.5m to get round the lampost or bike rack near my office especially now I know they're after her (the police came round and said they'd be back so not to ride it for a week or two)...so maybe that one wont fit in the bag...
Appreciate you checking. Thank you :)

No cameras near your office that you could get some footage from?....if there is you might find the thieving scum are known to the police already. At least they never got the bike and probably worth checking the caliper if they were moving the bike around trying to get the disc lock off.

No cameras near your office that you could get some footage from?....if there is you might find the thieving scum are known to the police already. At least they never got the bike and probably worth checking the caliper if they were moving the bike around trying to get the disc lock off.

No...no footage...they checked. Bike's with the mechanic as the front brakes failed completely so I had to ride it with only the back...I'm sure he'll check but thank you for the heads up. Just purchased a new Xena xx14 after all without that I wouldn't have her and an almax chain. If only I could tie my dog to the bike then they'd be sorry...but I expect that's not legal...and he'd make a rubbish pillion! ;-0

I purchased an Oxford screamer disc lock before my trip to Mugello as i would be parking the bike outside hotels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQhUyQBO8k4

What a load of crap. Good idea in principal but the thing is so ridiculously sensitive it's unusable. Putting my key in the ignition sets it off - light rain sets it off (as the security guard outside a hotel in Milan told me the next morning after it constantly was going off that evening) - a slight breeze sets it off (as i found out being woken by it at 6am in france).

If I have to leave my bike in town I always take my 2m Protector 16mm chain and carry it in my 20l Kriega which holds it well.

Mate, you can disable the alarm with the fob to allow you to wash/work on the bike. Think its in the handbook and its ' Valet mode'. You press the left hand button on the fob whilst the alarms setting after turning off the ignition and you get a couple of beeps and alarms off.

Yes, you push the activation button just after setting the alarm and it puts it in transit mode.

I have a Scorpio I 900 alarm that has a pager function which works to about 1/2 mile so you know if its been tripped.

Unsure about fitting to e BMW tho and might just sell it.

So I also need to take security seriously as I will be commuting to central London.
For a chain to be any use it needs to be attached to something unmovable at one end and through the frame at the other. The wheel is no good as they remove it in seconds.
QUESTION:
So who has worked out how to get the chain (e.g an Almax 19mm) through the frame?

This bike is a dream machine and I really don't want to lose it!

Guys you need an Anti Pinch Pin from Pragmasis 23mm diameter x 34cm length)

http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

....the pin fits through the hole in swingarm (chain side) and security chain attaches to each of end of the pin. As long as you use a serious chain (Pragmasis/Almax) and a secure ground anchor/post they ain't taking the bike without some serious angle grinding = and a whole lotta noise! ....they'll probably just move on to an easier bike! ;-)

Anti%20Pinch%20Pin_zpssjbhubsb.jpg

Back