Security??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience on this.....

scum don't like noise........they prised off the alarm cover on my 10mm xena disc lock alarm first (didn't have the module fitted as it was giving out false alarms) - no chain fitted. The tactics they used, the whole disc lock came off with 60sec viewed from the CCTV. Saved when my bike alarm went off and sent an auto text to my phone.

Most recent, was a van and 2 scumbags......bike was chained but to nothing solid, on this occasion. They lifted the bike and alarm went off and fortunately they were seen and yelled at. They 'dropped' the bike and scarpered. Luckily the bike rested against another bike, so no damage.

On both occasions, what saved my bike was my aftermarket alarm and kind passers-by.

If you never leave your bike unattended then may no need for alarm or extra security.

Can't have 2 bikes and can't justify not riding it the RR.

Definitely no point having a chain (recommend Almax or protector chain) without being tied to something solid. It may slow them done and may make them to move to an easier target.

So I also need to take security seriously as I will be commuting to central London.
For a chain to be any use it needs to be attached to something unmovable at one end and through the frame at the other. The wheel is no good as they remove it in seconds.
QUESTION:
So who has worked out how to get the chain (e.g an Almax 19mm) through the frame?

This bike is a dream machine and I really don't want to lose it!

Saw a sports bike once that had a welded loop through the frame so as an Almax could go through it. Looked really pants though and probably rattled terribly, but would stop an opportunist.

Where are you going to park it, as I have seen several people who leave their chains attached to the railings etc as they park there every day so don't
have to carry them all the time.

It's a new job and I haven't started yet, but it will be in an outdoor car park with a barrier. I took a look and I don't think it's supervised and am not sure what I can hook onto - but my main concern is how to put a chain through the bike at the mo - it's not obvious!

It's a new job and I haven't started yet, but it will be in an outdoor car park with a barrier. I took a look and I don't think it's supervised and am not sure what I can hook onto - but my main concern is how to put a chain through the bike at the mo - it's not obvious!

Nowhere on the frame I can think of will fit an almax chain through. You might be able to get it up behind the front wheel and loop over the yoke/forks or something but I don't think the chain will be long enough, and if it is, it will weigh as much as the bike.

If I had to leave a bike as you are describing (which I wouldn't) I would be thinking of the best way of not drawing attention to it. I.e. a full size dirty outdoor cover with cable locks to secure it down so its difficult and time consuming to have a look underneath. underneath the cover I'd secure the bike wheels with chains, use the steering lock, and probably stick a motion alarm on it too.

I use disc lock on the front, chain through the rear wheel to another bike, aftermarket alarm and immobilizer, garaged and got a very big dog. Not taken it to work yet for fear of it being pinched although others do take bikes and chain them to posts in the car park.

Cover the exposed/unsheathed ends of chains with old sox, a couple of stitches holds them in place.

Your welcome :)

All max chain when at the airport with squire lock, chain is awesome, disc lock on front, sat at airport for 18 months every weekend.

Little tip from Alex at Almax - if they mark your bike and you leave the chain they will drill the lock so you can't lock it; and when you come in that day they nick the bike.

Little tip from Alex at Almax - if they mark your bike and you leave the chain they will drill the lock so you can't lock it; and when you come in that day they nick the bike.

Worth knowing thanks.

Does anyone know a reasonable full size cover that:
is plain looking
has loops for chains
waterproof (nice to have)
is heat proof (as will put on after arrival)
will roll up for taking on bike.

I'm having trouble finding one with all these conflicting requirements met :-(

I take it that is a chain through the wheel - not the frame? I have inspected closely and cannot see any way of doing anything other than the wheel - the hub is hollow but sprocket end is too narrow for a pinch pin.
Almax reckon thieves never take the wheel off - any experience of this from anyone? Anyone had secured bikes nicked away from home ?

If its that easy why don't they just drill the lock when the bike is in the chain?

If its that easy why don't they just drill the lock when the bike is in the chain?
I think they dont open the lock just ruin it. I have never heard of this, it would be dumb drilling the lock as it would take time, they could simply break an old key/nail in the lock.

Take the chain and lock home each night. Mottorax sell a bag designed for carrying a chain, I use one for my waterproofs and they are only a tenner http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/58171

I believe we are talking about a chain that is left on a secured post. The scumbag 'ruins' the lock and when the rider comes to lock his bike he can't. So if he then still leaves his bike at the same place unlocked.........

I believe we are talking about a chain that is left on a secured post. The scumbag 'ruins' the lock and when the rider comes to lock his bike he can't. So if he then still leaves his bike at the same place unlocked.........

My point is it would be easier just to drill the lock when the bike is there. No waiting around or having to come back.

Hi everyone I'm after getting a alarm fitted to my Hp4 does anyone now of any problems with after market alarms getting fitted to these bikes.please can you advice me .thanks steve.

Back