Giving thoughts to down sizing - opinions?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching this with interest as I'd been having the same thoughts. Not so much from a financial POV, but because it's let me down a few times and I was getting sick of it - combined with expecting my first born in the Summer, my usage will be changing. Less often I'll be out for all day 4-500 mile runs with my mates up north, more often I'll be taking an hour on a Sunday morning to have a blast round the local roads (which, luckily, are some of the best in Scotland IMO) So, I was thinking something with a bit less horsepower that I had to work a bit harder at going on a blat - something that didn't give me the option of slotting it in 3rd or 4th for 20 miles of twisties at a time.

I've decided to stick with it for now, though. Would just seem a bit selfish, me changing bike at the moment, with us trying to save pennies, even if I could swap it for something with less capital value and keep monthly outgoings the same. Just doesn't sit right. That, and I've got over the strop I was having with it.

So - if it's not draining your money painfully, I'd be in the camp of "give it another chance" Even if you give it only a couple of months and 5 or 6 rideouts, just to get back into the swing of it. If it's not back under your skin and fitting your use, then yep, probably time to swap out - and you'll be in the meat of late spring/early summer, so buyers will be out there.

There is no money drain - fully paid for from the get go.

My decision relates to the usability in every day riding. Like you I would mainly go out for an hour or two round the local roads or to commute to work when the weather's nice.

I bought it 2 years ago with c1700 miles on it and, due to the knock in confidence combined with the locality of my ride outs, I'm ashamed to say it's still got less than 3k.

My 2012 still has less than 700 miles! I've only done 200 miles since I bought it end of January.
I only did 1000 miles on my previous GSXR 600 in about 18 months. I didn't really need to buy an 11k bike for the amount of time I get to ride it but I like the fact that when I do want to go for a ride I have one of the best bikes on the market.

Agreed you have the best sports bike available but I really do recommend taking the R out, would make a cracking commuter and I guarantee you will ride it more than the RR as I didn't want to get off it after the test ride! I am just praying it is reliable as I will be piling on the miles with trips to Germany etc.

Agreed you have the best sports bike available but I really do recommend taking the R out, would make a cracking commuter and I guarantee you will ride it more than the RR as I didn't want to get off it after the test ride! I am just praying it is reliable as I will be piling on the miles with trips to Germany etc.

My intention was to buy the S1000R sport late April early may time but moving house soon so will have to wait till I have the new address sorted but have been told all are sold till the june quota arrives. Will be getting out at every opportunity to get to know the bike and put some miles on it before I go on holiday with a group of bikers in september doing lots of alpine roads and coming back up through route napoleon, cant wait.

For me I don't want to be weighing out any more cash at the moment - house move in less than 7 days.

Saying that, I did spend £29.50 on an MOT today. It was great to get out on her again, it's been almost a year

Weigh out a bit more and buy a wall mounting bracket for the sitting room of the new house, would rather look at that than the crap on tv.

IF I were to let it this 2011 Motorsport go, with all the 'goodies', what would it fetch? I have no idea what a package like this would go for.

It has, front to back:

Brembo monoblock M50's
Brembo radial master cylinder
Braided front lines by Hel
Brembo full floating HPK discs
Brembo remote brake adjuster
R&G bar ends
R&G spindle protectors
Ohlins FGRT forks (the newer 202 versions)
Ohlins steering damper
R&G rad and oil guards
R&G aero crash bobbins (upper)
R&G aero crash bobbins (lower)
R&G engine case protectors
Clear stomp grip tank protectors
H&M quick shifter
Braided rear lines by Hel
Full Akropovic exhaust with stubby can
K&N filter
Power commander V
Power commander autotune (with map switching on the fly)
Power commander secondary fuel module
R&G rear blanking plates
Seat cowl
Tail tidy
R&G rear cotton reels
Metzeler K3's (les than a few hundred miles since fitting)
Data tool alarm
And here's the kicker - still less than 3k miles

Unfortunately, prob not would you would like. But someone will give youthe old strip it and sell the bits speech, lol

I sold mine fully loaded and was happy with the price I got, believe me there are heaps of people busting to buy bikes already done and yours has the added advantage of being low milage

I'd say the advanced course (IAM) and test I did was/is literally life saving. And it cut my insurance costs. And it made me a better car driver. And it made me faster :). Can't recommend it highly enough, but I believe it does depend a little on your local group as to how the training is organised which will effect cost and enjoyment I imagine.
The iam skills for life course is highly recommended mates I ride out with have done this course and I cant catch them and im not slow and they all say the course has tansformed there riding I will be getting myself on this sometime this year its £140 I think.

Last edited:
Bike Safe / Safe Rider is about £30...1 evening (classroom) and 1 ride out with the cops. Brilliant day.
As for value of the OP's bike I'd say about £10.5k-11k. You will get far more from selling the parts separately.
I came from owning a CB1000R. I bought it after passing my test and once fitted with Conti Road Attacks (instead of Bridgestone BT015's) I can say it was incredibly forgiving (more than the Sthou) and yet giggle inducing. Commuting/B-Roads are the habitat. I moved to the Sthou because I wanted to go further (fairing). But I highly recommend naked's (S1000R, Tuono, CB1R etc) for someone that needs to just get on and go without having to dial in as much...as I've found the Sthou quite the learning curve (to operate at the level I want).

Don't sell her, she looks amazing! Like the posts say it just seems that you are a bit rusty at the moment and that wont change regardless of the bike, a smaller engine wont make you more confident and in some instances could make it worse for you. Advanced training is one option, the other is it look at a track school where you can get used to being on 2 wheels again and get some guidance on braking, body position etc safe in the knowledge that you're not going to meet anything coming the opposite way or pulling out on you. I did one purely to improve my road riding and found it invaluable. All of us 'Sunday' riders go through the same thing to differing extents, I personally hate riding with anyone else for the first few outings of the season, just go for a few 1 hour rides, taking it steady stick to nice open roads. By the end of the 2nd ride you'll be amazed how much it comes back to you. Naked and upright bikes I find harder to ride that sports bikes but that could just be me. The beauty about the bike you've got is that you can pop it into rain mode just to give you bit more confidence if required. Remember it's about enjoying the ride not being the quickest or scaring the cr*p out of yourself. The right hand grip goes two ways, its your choice how far it goes in either direction.

as people have said , sell the bits seperately , Id be godsmacked if you found someone to buy the bike for10-11k
unfortunately its the old bike , and things keep moving on.
will you regret it , yes i think you would ..
but things change , its good to try other stuff...
I initally came from a superduke to the beemer 4 years ago.
Its funny to see people bigging up supernaked bikes...
Have ridden the tuono V4 and the new SD and the one thing you simply can't escape is no fairing is shite!!!!!
In fact its extra double shite

Dont be buying those magic beans is my advice

Its funny to see people bigging up supernaked bikes...
Have ridden the tuono V4 and the new SD and the one thing you simply can't escape is no fairing is shite!!!!!
In fact its extra double shite
Could not agree more, riding a naked above 70 all day is very tiring and not much fun after a few hours.

Back to original post, get ya self some road riding training, its easy to learn how to ride smooth n safe.

Very fair points of view which certainly put things into perspective.

Although I did notice a nice ducati streetfighter s turn up on the internet this week.

Back