Giving thoughts to down sizing - opinions?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on here, although I do checking in frequently.

The reason I've not been as active as I should have been is that life gets in the way and I just haven't been out on the bike at all, in fact in the last 12 months I reckon I've done just a hundred miles or so to the office and back a few times.

Now, I've spent the equivelent of a family hatchback on the bike since I've had it, but this doesn't stop me thinking that it's a complete waste for the amount I use it. So the question is, should I downsize to something more in keeping with the amount of experience/exposure I get to riding and use the surplus for something else?

null_zpsd57d4e83.jpg

Ive tried this same thing several times by buying a cbr600rr runabout bike, i also have had a rvf400 and now a cbr400. The smaller stuff is fun and you can throw them about, you will notice that you are forever up and down the gearbox thrashing the bike to just make progress. The S1000 just pulls in any gear and you can just cruise about with no thrashing it.
When you are on a smaller bike and a thou comes past you and just keeps pulling away you will want a thou again.

I guess you need to weigh up the financial benefit against what ekdg says ^^^^. I had this with cars, you'll be disappointed if you downgrade (sorry I meant downsize) and will want the s1000 again. IMO keep what you have.

I suppose one of the thoughts I need to get round is, and this is going to make me sound like a right wuss, I just don't think I'm good enough - or up to - the Sthou.

It's the lack if practice or exposure which means when I do take it out I spend the whole ride learning and getting comfortable again. I suppose I liken it to being for ever rusty which I question the safety and enjoyment of.

You got to be at the top of your game for this bike right?

Riding bikes is not about being good enough for the bike or riding the bike to its limit, at the end of he day its about enjoying riding bikes. The Sthou is one of the best bikes to ride and compliments the rider and allows for the little slip ups that we all make.
We all have the rusty feeling after the winter break, at the end of the day you have a very high spec top end bike, if its all paid for then i would just keep hold of it and when the sun is shining enjoy it. I try to use my bike as much as possible during the summer even if its only a quick hour out to get a cup of tea. I also use it to get to work somedays and when its sunny the ride hime seems to take a lot longer ;-).

The thing to consider is if you downsize will you ride anymore? will you still feel rusty when you ride? will the smaller bike have the luxury of the Sthou?

It's the lack if practice or exposure which means when I do take it out I spend the whole ride learning and getting comfortable again. I suppose I liken it to being for ever rusty

I get that. But I find improving is part of the fun. I took my hp4 out today for the first time this year. Managed 200 miles I think. I didn't ride as fast as I know I could, but I enjoyed it, it's not a race after all. When my body ached after I got home it felt very satisfying.

I think it's important to make time to ride out, even if it's one afternoon every now and then. Just commuting occasionally to the office is going to make anyone consider the point in bothering, so try changing that and then decide. I bet a full day out on your bike and you'll be back on your game.

I think it's important to make time to ride out, even if it's one afternoon every now and then. Just commuting occasionally to the office is going to make anyone consider the point in bothering, so try changing that and then decide. I bet a full day out on your bike and you'll be back on your game.

+1

I suppose one of the thoughts I need to get round is, and this is going to make me sound like a right wuss, I just don't think I'm good enough - or up to - the Sthou.

It's the lack if practice or exposure which means when I do take it out I spend the whole ride learning and getting comfortable again. I suppose I liken it to being for ever rusty which I question the safety and enjoyment of.

You got to be at the top of your game for this bike right?
Hi Dave, I think your lacking a little in confidence, which in itself is putting you off of riding. I think if you change bikes this lack of confidence will rear its ugly head again.
You answered your own question, it is partly due to lack of getting out on the road. You could try some adv training to help with the confidence and accelerate your learning curve but, you will need to put in the miles in between the training sessions.
Im meeting up with Unionjack in the morning (chelmsford) if you fancy a few hours ride out?

pm me re the training if you fancy it.

Hi Dave, I think your lacking a little in confidence, which in itself is putting you off of riding. I think if you change bikes this lack of confidence will rear its ugly head again.
You answered your own question, it is partly due to lack of getting out on the road. You could try some adv training to help with the confidence and accelerate your learning curve but, you will need to put in the miles in between the training sessions.
Im meeting up with Unionjack in the morning (chelmsford) if you fancy a few hours ride out?

pm me re the training if you fancy it.

Would love to, it's all SORN up at the moment, which is another blockage to over come. The more I read this, the more I think your right. Confidence has been knocked and I'm looking for excuses.

Would love to, it's all SORN up at the moment, which is another blockage to over come. The more I read this, the more I think your right. Confidence has been knocked and I'm looking for excuses.
Dont knock yourself Dave, the confidence thing it is easily rectified but you do need to put the effort in and want to improve. Training will certainly make your riding so very much more enjoyable :encouragement:

Hope this helps mate.

Dave that's to nicer bike to get rid of, except for another 1000 bike. It doesn't matter if you ride your bike 1 day a year or a 100. You don't have to ride fast to enjoy it, I find pottering around in the twisties on a 1000 bike very satisfying.

Dave that's to nicer bike to get rid of, except for another 1000 bike. It doesn't matter if you ride your bike 1 day a year or a 100. You don't have to ride fast to enjoy it, I find pottering around in the twisties on a 1000 bike very satisfying.

+1
I live getting on a twisty road and picking a speed and trying to stick at that speed through all the corners. when you get it right its just so smooth

I too see my self as a pretty (in the scheme of things) shit rider.

I am not silly fast and take it easy in the bends.

I own an s 1000 and really enjoy getting out and about on it at my own speed. Who cares what anybody thinks?!

I enjoy looking at it and cleaning it almost as much as i do riding it.

You have a very nice ride, if you can afford her, keep her.

All very good feedback. A friend of mine has just married a police rider who, when told of my issues, recommended the bike safe programme.

On a not too separate note, I was quite taken with the Superduke R today. Sounds lovely.

If you do the bike safe and then decide to do your advanced they had a program where you got the advanced at a reduced cost. I missed the bike safe and just did the advanced a couple of years ago. found it very enjoyable and fun.

I'd say the advanced course (IAM) and test I did was/is literally life saving. And it cut my insurance costs. And it made me a better car driver. And it made me faster :). Can't recommend it highly enough, but I believe it does depend a little on your local group as to how the training is organised which will effect cost and enjoyment I imagine.

With this bike, I don't think you do always need to be at the top of your game. That's it's point. You can leave it 4t/5th/6th, fit a set of panniers & a tank bag and head off touring, cosseted by the electronics.
But if you really want to poke it in the eye, you can:)
Have you ridden on a track by any chance? If not, that might accelerate your familiarisation such that road riding then doesn't seem such a challenge? Just a thought.

Just a thought, try out the s1000r, it's a totally different riding experience and it's a very confidence inspiring ride. With it being another BM you may (and I mean may) get a reasonable px price.

Not a bad shout that. I would be looking at an upright (superduke, Ducati streetfighter, triumph street etc) but really don't want to spend more money - moving next week and a few extra quid wouldn't go a miss.

I'll take that exhaust of your hands before you sell :wink-new:

If it doesn't cost you a lot each month (finance, insurance, etc...) and you can afford to keep it and still only do little mileage then keep it IMO.

Back