Slick plug.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Hi has anyone used the slick plug with K3s.
I understand its for slicks on a track, I have heard people saying they use slick on the road.
Are slicks the minimum requirement for this mode.
TA Jack Sprat

If its dry I use slick mode all the time. Drop it down to sport if its p1$$ing down.

When was reduced engine braking introduced into the different maps?

Not sure if it's only on the 2012 model but slick mode also deactivates the overrun fuel cut-off which minimises engine braking, makes it feel more like a two-stroke (showing my age there lol).

On a hot day I use it, with what tyres happen to be fitted at the time. But I usually run around in Rain mode for fuel consumption saving.

On a hot day I use it, with what tyres happen to be fitted at the time. But I usually run around in Rain mode for fuel consumption saving.

Unleash those extra 30 horses Ross and let it gallop! To me rain mode feels like something is broken, as someone on here previously said, feels like an elastic throttle, although that said I do use it occasionally when the roads are slimey for the extra safety factor.

Last edited:
I thought that rain mode only effected the throttle mapping and TC to reduce slip, no difference to hp? Or was it different on earlier bikes?

I thought that rain mode only effected the throttle mapping and TC to reduce slip, no difference to hp? Or was it different on earlier bikes?

Its on all bikes, 140bhp on the early ones, 150 iirc on the later ones.

Rain is 143hp for 10/11 and 163hp for 12/13/14

It's true Rain doesn't quite feel right, but I get 30 extra miles to the tank. so for using bike daily it's a welcome trade off.

I don't have the option to choose slick mode, but I do have the red slick mode plug, does that have to be installed for it to be available to choose?
is it just a case of plugging it in an go or does a dealer have to plug it in and do other things?

Race mode any good on the road or should I jut stick to sport mode?
ive tried to read up on what's good for what but the manual doesn't really give a good description of what to use and when.

Yes you need to install the slick 'stick/plug' to be able to access the slick mode. Just plug it in and go.

Slick mode (from the manual) is "set up for racing slicks and the assumption on which the parameter settings are based is that tyre-to-surface grip is of the very high level generally encountered only on race tracks."

Also the rear ABS is switched off in slick mode.

So it will depend on the size of your bollocks and the state of the roads you are on if you want to use it..... I clearly carry around peanuts as the race mode is plenty for me on public roads. LOL.

Yes you need to install the slick 'stick/plug' to be able to access the slick mode. Just plug it in and go.

Slick mode (from the manual) is "set up for racing slicks and the assumption on which the parameter settings are based is that tyre-to-surface grip is of the very high level generally encountered only on race tracks."

Also the rear ABS is switched off in slick mode.

So it will depend on the size of your bollocks and the state of the roads you are on if you want to use it..... I clearly carry around peanuts as the race mode is plenty for me on public roads. LOL.

Thanks for the reply,

I assume it just plugs into the ECU?
So you use race mode for the road, is there a noticeable difference between sport and race?

definetly only use it in the dry, its an absolute animal of a mode I use race nearly all the time, although I have a mate who ride in slick and has traction turned off aswell Kin nutter if you ask me

Thanks for the reply,

I assume it just plugs into the ECU?
So you use race mode for the road, is there a noticeable difference between sport and race?

Under the rider seat on the LHS just behind the tank is the plastic dummy plug. Just remove the dummy plug and insert the slick plug in its place, and reinstate the cable tie. In race (and slick) the rear lift protection system is deactivated, and I think the throttle response is shorter/quicker in race, but I could be wrong, and it really depends on what you prefer. Try 'em out. :)

Hi has anyone used the slick plug with K3s.
I understand its for slicks on a track, I have heard people saying they use slick on the road.
Are slicks the minimum requirement for this mode.
TA Jack Sprat

No problem, I have used slick mode k3's with no problems, they can slide around a little when gunning it, but that is to be expected.

Last edited:
I'rn on K3's and I've got full power and same throttleresponse in all modes (HP Titanium upgrade), only change modes to get more or less tractioncontrol, which is sligtly backed off compared to standard.
K3 i a bit slippery if you don't get the temp up (difficult on street), on trackday i think they work just fine with some pre-heating you can push it good.

Back