BMW calls in 50,000 motorbikes over fuel pump leak

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Reaction score
From the US, so will also apply here I guess.

If you don't often see motorbikes being recalled, it's probably because there's less to go wrong on a motorcycle. But a problem with the fuel pump on a wide array of BMW Motorrad products has prompted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to issue a recall for over 50,000 of the Bavarian two-wheelers across America.

The issue revolves around the fuel pump flange on R-model, K-model, S 1000 and HP2 motorcycles built as far back, in some cases, to 2005 and as recent as 2012, depending on the model. The flange was found to be prone to crack and leak fuel, which NHTSA evaluated as a fire risk. As a result, precisely 50,184 such motorbikes are being recalled to have their flanges reinforced or, where necessary, to replace the entire fuel pump. If you're the owner of such a Bimmer bike, expect a call from your dealer sometime next month, but you can read the full notice below.

RECALL Subject : Fuel Pump Flange may Leak , 1 INVESTIGATION(S)
Report Receipt Date: DEC 12, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V617000
Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 50,184
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2005-2011 model year R-model motorcycles, model year 2005-2012 K-model motorcycles, model year 2010-2011 S 1000 model motorcycles, and model year 2006-2010 HP2 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel.

CONSEQUENCE:
A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will either reinforce the fuel pump flange or replace the pump, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in February 2014. Owners may contact BMW customer relations at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at [email protected].

They're only do a recall over here if VOSA issues a recall and makes them.

I didn't know that. I can only see 2 VOSA recalls on the s1rr.

So I am presuming that BMW do their own recalls independently of VOSA for non-disaster inducing problems, like switch gear failings?

I didn't know that. I can only see 2 VOSA recalls on the s1rr.

So I am presuming that BMW do their own recalls independently of VOSA for non-disaster inducing problems, like switch gear failings?

The switch failings aren't a recall though, If you have a fault and take bike to them they will now fix for free as they've admitted its a common fault item.
A proper recall ordered by VoSA means BMW have to actively track down and get in touch with every S1000RR owner they can, to tell them of the fault and therefore fix it.

BMW won't replace a working switch for free (unless you have a very good dealer), but if the switches came under a VOSA recall they would have to replace them even if there in a working condition

The switch failings aren't a recall though, If you have a fault and take bike to them they will now fix for free as they've admitted its a common fault item.
A proper recall ordered by VoSA means BMW have to actively track down and get in touch with every S1000RR owner they can, to tell them of the fault and therefore fix it.

BMW won't replace a working switch for free (unless you have a very good dealer), but if the switches came under a VOSA recall they would have to replace them even if there in a working condition

That makes sense.

Last edited:
What about the sumps though? I'm amazed that such a widespread fault with obvious safety implications hasn't had more focus... Can understand BMW trying to bury it slightly, but surely it's been reported enough that a recall should be on the cards? Switchgear is annoying, a fuel leak could be pretty dangerous, but oil pissing out of the bellypan at speed is guaranteed to be dangerous...

It would only get a VOSA recall if VOSA are made aware of it by enough people, and even then if none have ever actually failed and caused a dangerous situation then VOSA would just put out a warning to owners not a recall

as I'm the 3rd owner no dealer knows I've got a s1000rr. so if this recall was approved by vosa how would BMW get hold of me to rectify this potential fuel leak ? or would I need to approach my local dealer once authorized by vosa ? I work in the petrol industry and I've seen petrol flash off with hardly any spark at all especially around a warm environment like an engine case ..... BOOM :mask:

Docta is right. BMW would first get hold of as many people as they could from internal records (ie knowing who they sold the bikes to) then contact DVLA with license plates of the bikes/owners they were not able to trace. DVLA would then give out the names and registered addresses of those license plates to bmw.

It only usually means people who bought bike direct with bmw get it dealt with first. However even as the third owner, you could go to a BMW dealer and get them to update their records to show you are the owner of that bike now. BMW usually welcome this because it enables them to send you information on new promotions, new bikes, upgrade parts and will enable them to try and convince you to use them as your service center.

Picked up mine from dealer recently and questioned fuel pump problem. "know nothing about it and fuel pumps are different part number in Germany"
He did say I have a problem with mine with the pressure. I now notice (was ok before) that on rolling off, say up to a roundabout, lights etc at walking pace, that on a closed throttle it doesn't shut off completely straight away. almost as if the tickover is too high (its not)

Last edited:
BMW GB will be writing to a wide range of owners of thousands of BMW motorcycles to inform them of a fix to potential cracks in fuel pump flanges which can cause fuel leaks.
BMW is anxious to point out this is not a matter for panic, there have been no safety issues related to this in the UK but the bikes affected include almost all built between 2005 and 2012, both boxer and four-cylinder models. Owners will either have the fix carried out for free at a BMW dealer at their request or at the next service.
The fault concerns more than 50,000 motorcycles in America alone which has issued a recall because the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) always does that for anything causing a fuel leak.
The fault covers 26,000 motorcycles in the UK to add to that number but it’s not classed as a recall over here; merely a ‘technical campaign’.
A statement by BMW reads: "BMW Motorrad is running a technical campaign with customer notification in the USA and Canada for models of the R and K series produced from January 1 2004 to April 2011.
"In the motorcycles concerned, small cracks may form in a flange on the fuel pump. In very rare cases, slight leaks can occur causing a smell of petrol or loss of a very small amount of fuel.
"There will be a customer campaign in the UK in the new future and the processes are currently being put into place. BMW Motorrad rates this issue as not being critical to safety and no safety-related situations have occurred to date, or are anticipated in the future."
The models affected are:
BMW HP2 ENDURO 2006
BMW HP2 MEGAMOTO 2008-2009
BMW HP2 SPORT 2008-2010
BMW K 1200 GT 2006-2008
BMW K 1200 R 2006-2008
BMW K 1200 R SPORT 2007
BMW K 1200 S 2005-2008
BMW K 1300 GT 2009-2011
BMW K 1300 S 2009-2011
BMW K 1600 GT 2012
BMW K 1600 GTL 2012
BMW R 1200 GS 2005-2011
BMW R 1200 GS ADVENTURE 2006-2011
BMW R 1200 R 2007-2011
BMW R 1200 RT 2005-2011
BMW R 1200 S 2007
BMW R 1200 ST2005-2007
BMW S 1000 RR2010-2011

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/n...uary/jan0913-thousands-of-bmws-need-fuel-fix/

Spoke to my dealer today about this, if they can get the part in time then they're do mine in feb when it goes in for yet another leftside switch. They did say however all current stock is allocated for the US

Spoke to Bahnstormer Thames Valley this morning, 2012 S1000 apparently is not affected but as my bike is going in for a 18k service they will look at the flange.
If there is a problem they have some in stock and they will change it.

My dealer rang me today, they can't do it when the bikes goes in for switch gear on Feb 7th because the "technical campaign" doesn't start in the UK until Feb 28th.

So my bike is in on Feb 7th for switches then March 3rd for fuel flange. Pointless waste of my time and theres. oh well.

My dealer rang me today, they can't do it when the bikes goes in for switch gear on Feb 7th because the "technical campaign" doesn't start in the UK until Feb 28th.

So my bike is in on Feb 7th for switches then March 3rd for fuel flange. Pointless waste of my time and theres. oh well.

Got exactly the same from mine when I spoke to them about it (it's currently in for a sump replacement after dropping its oil) Not their fault as they can't action the job before BMW say so, but as it's a near 4 hour round trip for me to the dealer, yeah, I'm not chuffed either...

When you say the switch gear is failing what do you mean? Indicators not working? horn? my 2010 s1000rr is going in for service on Tuesday, might just say it is an intermittent fault get them to do it?
Whats the crack ( no pun intended!) with the fuel pump flanges, anyone got there dealer to do the job?

Latest posts

Back